“an ok hotel to stay in!”

Carrington House Hotel
Ranked #61 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed at the Carrington for one night as a small group of six of us, having got a deal on groupon we feel it is a bargain for the price we paid, although I do feel if we had paid the full price I would not be so happy. The food was good, not briliant but not terrible, The rooms were clean and tidy, though our bed which was classed as a double was in fact a 4 foot bed so very small.The staff were polite and helpful, and as my sister is in a wheelchair we needed to have access to cater for this, which I feel the hotel did provide in the way of ramps and disability acess and also they moved my sister to a ground floor room to make it easier for her.All in all I do feel the reviews which have already been given this hotel were a bit harsh as we did enjoy our stay at The Carrington.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Carolandian11
Write a ReviewReviews (1,277)

Reviewed 21 November 2013

My wife and I stayed over the weekend of 15 to the 17 November great value for the money paid the staff were all freindly and helpful.
The breakfast was straight foreword basic food but we found nothing bad about it at all and as much as you wanted.
The room we had was in need of updating but comfortable clean and adequate.
I cant understand some of the past comments I think people need to look at what they are getting for the price and take a reality check I paid £74.00 for 2 nights bed and breakfast for my wife and I.
This was our first visit and to be honest almost we never went when we read the reviews but I am glad we did.
Great value for money
Well done to all the staff and we will come back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RAFERDK
Reviewed 19 November 2013

As my title says, don't bother! Cheap as chips but no wonder why! I paid £29 on groupon which included bed, breakfast and a bottle of wine; as a surprise for my partner. We had an hour and a half drive and arrived at the hotel too early but thought we would go and see if our room was ready anyway. The lady on reception was absolutely lovely and unfortunately our room wasn't ready, but it wasn't a problem as we went and did some Xmas shopping in bournemouth town centre.
Now, I work in a hotel myself so I know what is expected, even the little things I notice!
So, we stayed on Monday 18th November for one night. When we got back to the hotel there was a different lady on reception who was VERY rude! On my Groupon voucher it said I can print voucher OR download it onto my phone so I thought I'd save paper and download it on my phone.
When I told the lady we were checking in all she said was "name?" So I said, then she was like ok sign here on a bit of paper which said what our booking included, then she said "do you have the deal which includes free wine" so I obviously said yes, then she said " we'll I need your voucher because it doesn't tell me that here..." Clearly it did as I'd just seen it. So I got the voucher up on my phone and showed her to which she replied "what am I meant to do with that I can't staple it to my paperwork".. Ooooookaaaaayyy? Then she handed our key card and said our room number (32) and that was that. No tour of the hotel, no asking if we were wanting to book dinner and didn't ask if she wanted to get us our wine there. Ok.
So, we find our room and check in which was ok, it was a roof over our head. The bed was horrendous, a cross between a single and double bed. My partner is well over 6ft so it was a bit of a struggle! Shower was very poor, a slight trickle at best. Luckily we decided to go out for dinner to Chimichangas in bournemouth town centre which was absolutely divine.
We went down for breakfast about 8.30 as had to be gone by 10. Good choice of food, full English, croissants, fruit and yoghurt. The full English was lovely, but only lukewarm at best. Never mind we enjoyed breakfast and didn't need any lunch.
We went and checked out and all we got was "thanks bye", very rude in my opinion, no one noticed we were there or that we'd gone really.
Breakfast was a shambles, didn't have a clue if you were meant to sit on certain tables as no one was there to see to you, food ran out and no one really cared and waiters running round like headless chickens not really doing a lot.
One last thing, the swimming pool.
I work in a hotel and spa which is also 3 star, so I expected it to be up to the same standards. Oh no! We weren't sure if we wanted a swim so went and had a look first to decide. It's a fair size, smaller than I thought but didn't mind that. The only way you could access the pool was through the changing rooms so my partner waited outside while I went and had a look. As soon as I opened the door from the changing rooms to the swimming pool all I could smell was urine; definitely enough to make us decide not to swim!
Anyway, if you do decide to go, enjoy!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gemma L
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Can only write as I find and apart from looking a bit tired really could not complain.I have stayed in 5* and also Flea Pits this place is far from either but would class as better than the average Travelodge .I read the "horror" stories and nearly considered cancelling maybe I was lucky .but the staff I spoke too were very friendly and was not aware of any brawl last Saturday

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My 76 year old mother stayed here in November 13. She said" the room was nice but the holiday was spoiled by the cold food both diner and breakfast and when her party complained it was warmed up in a microwave. Also the hotel is quite a walk from Bournemouth and the staff did not know when or where the buses ran from. She was very disappointed.

2  Thank laura s
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed for two nights £25.00 per night single B&B wow. for that price i was expected rubbish?
thats not what i got, I had an upgrade to a double room. R157 large room enormous bed, and bunk beds in the corner aswell, flat screen tv with full free view, was broken to start, so checked around and found ariel had come out of the wall behind the bed. twinnings english tea in the room, new kettle. clean bathroom, shower pressure a little rubbish but it worked. clean bed, clean sheets, clean fluffy pillows. bright clean towels. Water broke on day two so was given a key to another room, 243 room was ok, but was almost a single with double bed? glad i had my room.
Booked and stayed a third night, but had to book online to get discount price, as reception couldnt do it.
Breakfast?? uuhhmmmmm
first morning was shocking, no one taking control, set my own table, bacon was stone cold, appeared the hot ring had gone out, so as a member of staff walked past i said.... Excuse me the bacon is cold? stone cold? he said and i quote. " yes i know " " im waiter " and walked away. i complained with other customers who said thats what he does? he saw me talking about him and came over rather aggressively and said if you have problem with food you need go complain at reception, i am waiter not kitchen staff, food not my problem. SHOCKING
So i did complain, and pointed out the idiot with no manners. maybe thats why things got better.
Day 2 a little better, tables set and ready food appeared hot and was rather nice, on day three, they run like a well oiled machine, some one to take room number, someone to check tables set, a waiter to help top food up and check all was good, a waitress walking about clearing dishes as you went, WOW after the first days this was now being run by people who appeared to know what they were doing.
On the third night they had a Thai boxing tournament, full of idiots. sorry not full of, some were very nice people, BUT at the end of the evening it all kicked off in the bar/lounge. blood and teeth everywhere, shouting and screaming fighting in car park and out onto the street. Had to leave and retire to bed before getting caught up with idiots who couldnt control themselves or there drink. spoiled my evening of quietly getting drunk.
Free parking. approx 10min walk to nearest beach. and i would say 20mins brisk walk into the town. £7.00 for a taxi back from the town, although i had a taxi driver who thought he would rob me, and charge me extras?? 80p ? why?? because council tell them to add 80p to ever journey? why? instead of starting at £2.80 just start at £3.60 then? he explained 80p for first customer and 20p for each additional customer? POPPYCOCK.
Big question would i stay there again?
Hell yessssssssss
well worth it.

Room Tip: room 157 was great. R243 was very small. will upload pictures soon
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2013

To anyone thinking of staying at this hotel I must warn you..don't. Or if you do take a lock and key as the staff can't be trusted. Just got home from staying down there for best mates 21st party and woke up in the morning to find £200 worth of items stolen from our room. Little to no sympathy from Manager Monika (Manager of hotel- awful woman) and very little co-operation. Cops got involved, she continued to not disclose any information that they found to us i.e use of key cards, what time etc. Upon leaving she was seen smirking at us on the way out. Disgusting human being. Also previous night huge fight in the lobby absolutely no security anywhere. One woman was seen (I'm assuming she was security) got caught in the middle of the brawl. It took the cops to arrive to stop the fight. Blood everywhere. Staff just stood there getting a good look at what was going on. Oh yh and the showers are crap. Happy holidays!

1  Thank Nicole867