“Rather tired hotel”

Ranked #62 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Lewes, United Kingdom
“Rather tired hotel”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed here on a Groupon deal (bed, breakfast, evening meal and a bottle of wine) and because of that it was tremendous value. However, the hotel clearly needs attention. The room was clean and comfortable, but both the room and the bathroom had broken fanlight windows, stuck in a slightly open position. The stair carpet was taped down with the tape hanging off in places, there were cracks and wires hanging out in the main corridors. The evening meal was a serve yourself three course meal but as we had to be at a concert in the early evening we couldn't have it. However, we were supplied with a fairly standard packed lunch instead. Cooked breakfast was not very hot and, there was little choice in the buffet section. Staff were friendly and helpful. I would stay again only if it was a cheap deal.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I booked a room here at the last minute as I was attending an event in Bournemouth and decided to stay the night before. I paid £29.00 for a single room with breakfast. I found the hotel easily and was pleased with the amount of parking and the quick check-in.
My room was on the second floor, which was tricky with all my luggage as the lift from reception to the first floor wasn't working. When I eventually got to the room, I was actually really impressed. The room was much bigger than a lot of double or twin rooms that I had booked in other hotels, and it had a nice simple decor with everything I needed.

After getting settled in I decided to have a bath. In the bathroom there was a note saying that the water may run a funny colour, but this could be resolved by running the tap for a couple of minutes until it runs clear. I ran the bath constantly for 20 minutes and it was still coming out a bright yellow/green colour so I had to just go with that (I appreciate that I could of told reception about this problem, but once you're all ready to get in the bath, its unthinkable to start trekking all the way down to reception and then be faced with maybe having to switch rooms!). After running the taps for so long trying to get clear water, it seemed like all the hot water had gone so I ended up having a combination of a cold bath with a shower that didn't work so I had to use one of the supplied plastic cups to rinse my hair!

I had a good nights sleep apart from the fact my room was next to one of the lifts that went from the 1st to 2nd floor so I did get a bit of noise from the doors opening and closing.
I had planned before I arrived at the hotel to maybe go for a swim in the hotel pool however there was no information in the room at all regarding the hotel facilities or opening times etc, just a ringwood brewery pack. I also couldn't get any WiFi access from my room whatsoever.

Breakfast was okay. It came in a buffet style which unfortunately didn't keep the food hot enough so by the time you got back to your table it was cold. I also didn't think there was a very great selection.

All in all, this hotel appears very nice, and it did meet the majority of the requirements of the stay. I wasn't too disappointed as I paid such a low price for the room. But the standard of the facilities would not of met my expections had I paid as much as some other people appear to!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the ground or first floor!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Rebecca J
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel last night as we had a Christmas party held at the venue.
I've stayed here before and been fairly underwhelmed but never thought strongly enough to write on here.
To cut to the chase we had our room broken into whilst downstairs and many personal items taken. I transpired that after the police looked around the room someone must have had access to a door key! Even more worrying.
Staff on duty did try they're best to a degree but were very sheepish when it was clear someone possibly used a master key.

To summarise the other amenities I would say:
Food on the night was adequate.
Service was ok but rushed and very unorganised.
Rooms are extremely dated and decor needs updating out of the nineties.
Room safe would have been nice!!
All these things however I would have tolerated but night was totally ruined.
Never set foot in this place again.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Chris C

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

kidderminster
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed for just one night for a birthday treat we had wine, dinner and breakfast package. First impression hotel looked tired car parking area looked like a rubbish tip! Very limited parking would not want to be staying there in height of summer because it would be impossible to park! Receptionist was friendly but didnt give us any info on the hotel we had no idea where to find the pool etc. Went down for dinner very disappointing, it was set menu and i mean set! I am a vegeatarian and they had one option which i did not eat so i ended up with just a plate of potatoes! Tried to ask if i could have something else but the waitress did not understand what i was saying. Breakfast was not much better should have been a buffet but it wasnt! Again asked what hot food was available for vegetarains was told beans and tomatoes! Great dont like them so ended up having just toast! Was told there was not a buffet because the hotel was quiet! The room was very warm and considering it was December again i wouldnt like to stay there when it is warm! Would i stay there again no it wasnt in a particularly good place for Bournemouth service was not very good we had to ask for our bottle of wine which we were told would be in our room. Have stayed in much better hotels so would not be returning to this one!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chris69kidderminster
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

To put into perspective. We paid £75 - lastminute.com 15% - Quidco cash back so about £60 for 2 for 2 nights bed & breakfast and free internet. Breakfast is a full English buffet with plenty of food.

The hotel is a bit tired, but the our room was clean, bed and bathroom spotless. We did have some issue with noisy guests but that is not the fault of the hotel, its rude ignorant people!

The hotel did decide to change the WiFI code at 11pm at night and the code was available if you asked for it.

For the price, it was very good value. People need to put things into perspective. Had we had to buy breakfast in the town we would have paid at least £5 each. That made our room only £10 each per night. Where can you get value like this!!! We found the staff pleasant. If you want the quality of the Ritz why are you expecting that when paying low end rates.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PCMAN1964
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Executive room what a joke was not shown when our rooms were or even directed had to navigate ourselves. No lights no bulbs in lamp. Reported to reception went to dinner came back late 11:20 still no lights. Bathroom was the only light working No tv in room very disappointing. Lift not working had to lift pram up and down the stairs. Bar ran out of most drinks and were quite rude about it bar closed because of this. Service very poor to no existent. Music extremely loud until 1:30am. Fire alarm activated at approximately 2:15 no procedure in place and manager incompetent. Will not stay again a seriously terrible weekend that will never be forgotten.

Room Tip: Don't chose to stay here
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank T1sh
Gloucester
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Since booking for a line dance weekend have been following reviews with concern. My expectations weren't that high. However, we were welcomed on arrival and shown how to find lift and stairs to our rooms. Were pleasantly surprised by the room not what we were expecting, after reading reviews. The lift made funny noises, which made you wonder if it would get you where you wanted to go or not.

Our room was tidy, smart, new curtains and beds with clean bedding & sufficient towels. Unfortunately, we went to shut window and found it didn't shut properly, lock obviously broke. Reported this to reception who sent up man to look at it, as it wasn't fixed reported back to reception, man sent up again, whilst I was in the room. He said it couldn't be fixed so I suggested masking tape around the edge to stop the draft. He went off to get some and came back with maintenance manager, who on looking at window informed me that it couldn't be fixed and they had new windows on order.(was I supposed to wait or come back) I informed him I would be happy with masking tape which he eventually did.

The bathroom windows have no curtains, which would have been advisable, or they could have shower curtains going right around the bath. There was a little mould at the back of sink Turned TV on to find no picture, having read on a review that the aerial wasn't plugged in checked cable, on wobbling it tv came on, bit worrying.

Seems to be a shortage of plugs. One by dressing table used for TV. 2 behind door where kettle was on a low cupboard, bit of a pain when making coffee. No biscuits in room. Coffee was cheap, not branded in rooms. No de-caff coffee available.

We were going to use the swimming pool, but when we saw concrete steps into pool and depth of 1.5 metres we changed mind it didn't appear very used.

Unfortunately, the hotel let us down big time on Friday night, our meal was arranged in the ballroom for 6.30 pm, so we could start dancing at 8pm,. but when we went down tables weren't laid and staff were so disorganised laying the tables they were unable to lay tables and provide food to cater for everyone, was a total disaster. They didn't seem to have any idea of how to organise for a large party. As for coffee & tea, thought it was going to be midnight before we'd get it. It was at least an hour after we finished the meal before this was provided.

Breakfast was chaotic, no seating and not very large selection of food. Fine if you want cooked or toast. Cereals were limited. Fried eggs were swimming in grease, sausages didn't look cooked, scrambled egg, looked like powdered egg used, not very nice, baked beans cold, bacon ok. Enjoyed the fruit juice. Had to lay tables on both mornings, even though second morning not as busy. Staff didn't seem organised.

The main problem a lot of people had was the room keys, they constantly seemed to deactivate themselves. I returned to my room at 1 am, to find key wouldn't work. Returned to reception, no-one there, had to ring for night porter to come and activate card. Daughter had same problem with her card. We were informed not to put them by mobiles, credit cards, and magnet sources? Where you are supposed to put them I don't know.

Drink prices seemed to vary depending on which bar you went to, one lady charged £18 for a bottle of wine, someone else charged £15 for two bottles.

Don't upgrade. Friends of ours paid extra for an upgrade and room was not as good as ours.

Overall if we had just booked and not spent much time here it would have been ok.

Room Tip: rooms vary standard wise we were in 105, friend in 150 had better room with trouser press.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends