“Very kind”

Carrington House Hotel
Ranked #60 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We booked but never stayed because it was further out of town than we envisaged so I asked if they had any alternative hotels and we were very kindly and professionally dealt with and transferred to the royal bath hotel in town centre and I have written a review separately but well done the carrington .

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 December 2013

The Carrington Hotel Bournemouth
Date 31 August 1 Sept 2013

A Britannia Hotel
Dariusdave has been Chair of a Social Club in Swindon for many years. Traditionally the members enjoy a seaside visit and this year The Committee decided to venture to Bournemouth for Air Show weekend. How right we were with scorching hot sunshine.
Back in the cold and wet winter we negotiated a deal with Barnes Coaches the largest and most modern coach operator in the Swindon area. They recommended The Carrington hotel “a Forestdale Hotel” well that chain had a touch of Wessex to its title.
We arrived around 11 am well in time to find a perch for The Red Arrows at midday. Usual nonsense from reception staff about a check in at 15.00 even though we thought this had been agreed with booking team. Eventually it was agreed our luggage could be stored in an office till 15.00 or later.
Dariusdave noted a sign saying “Britannia Hotel” and a helpful member of the reception team in a fine Polish accent confirmed this was a recent change. Now Dariusdave is familiar with Britannia Hotels. This relatively “young chain” a private company have rescued many famous names that were in terminal decline The Norbeck Blackpool, The Adelphi Liverpool, Russ Hill Gatwick and Pontin’s. Trip Advisor reviews for Britannia Hotels almost always include that ghastly phrase “tired rooms.” Frankly if you don’t want tired rooms go to a new Travelodge.
Britannia Hotels are price competitive, very popular with The Coach Trade, and The Carrington was also hosting a Stag weekend, a Hen Weekend and on Sunday a dance competition plus Dariusdave’s party.
The good, after check in late afternoon the lift worked and we carried our bag to room 83. No wages wasted on Bellboys. Our room was spacious, a desk area with a limited information folder, but no restaurant menu. A double bed with two wired in lights one had a fluorescent bulb the other no bulb. Beloved wife for 40+years inspected the bed linen which was clean. We had observed “The Sunlight Lorry” weaving around the local streets.
The window was open with views of next door and parked cars. The bathroom belonged to an earlier age. The small radiator by the loo was hot as were some of the floor tiles, no doubt a warming feature on a cold winter’s night. But this may have been the hottest Saturday of summer 2013. The flush system was powerful but the flush handle was loose and needed to be raised then lowered. There were three bottles titled Forestdale Group containing mild shampoo, body wash and body lotion.
Dariusdave tested the shower that had instructions in many languages. First one had to climb into an ancient and deep bath. A challenging feature for those of us whose knee joints are past 60. The shower had the great advantage that the shower head could be hand held. The blending valve had stood the test of time and when correctly adjusted which took time gave a powerful warm spray.
Close to the bathroom was a television cabinet with an open drawer displaying two towels. The television worked and seemed to be set to BBC World Service.
There was a wardrobe, sorry on the hanger test 5/10, and chest of drawers more than enough storage for a one night visit plus a brace of armchairs.
Major challenge no electric point anywhere near the bed. Would Dariusdave’s sleep apnoea machine work? I visited reception explained the problem and the young Polish assistant immediately agreed to supply an electric extension cable no charge. For Dariusdave that is far more important than the age of bedroom wall paper.
We were offered local maps and given instructions by reception staff on how to find Boscombe Pier, promenade and beach. We choose a viewing point at the top of the cliffs to view first The Red Arrows, later the Hurricane, Lancaster and Spitfire. We witnessed the Royal Navy’s contribution, The Marines come ashore in ribs and an ancient looking landing craft, and the commentary sounded akin to “Horse of The Year” plus many other aircraft displays. A wonderful afternoon’s free entertainment little wonder the tannoy was claiming the largest ever attendance for Bournemouth’s air show.
There is a natural gap between afternoon (and twilight) airshow then around 10pm and fireworks from Bournemouth pier. The Carrington Restaurant had a bijou menu that may have had its origins in a bygone age. Gammon steak covered in parsley sauce may also cover a multitude of sins. Fortunately the Bar Man between offering Happy Hour Beer c£2.20 a pint and house wine offer 2 bottles for £15 (not bad for a hotel) produced a bar snacks menu. Surely this menu is what one might have expected from a hotel restaurant? Beloved wife choose the Moroccan chicken with rice and Dariusdave the naked gammon steak, two fried eggs chips and peas. Both dishes had generous portions no need for starters or sweet puddings.
Many of us ventured out for the Firework Display, colourful but all over in around 10 minutes. Quick hike back to the Carrington, where we could still refresh ourselves from the wine offer before the “cash” bar closed. The plastic bar that opens at 23.00 hours was still serving residents around 04.00 so the youth of today from hen and stag parties did not have the stamina to toast sun up.

Sleep
After a day of travel and fresh air with a few glasses of house red we both slept like proverbial logs. Did not hear any riotous noises from hen or stag parties, or anyone else to disturb our sleep. Plenty of hot water for bathroom after we awoke.

Breakfast
Buffet style fortunately we did not all arrive together. There was a cornucopia for breakfast goodies, fruit juice, yogurts, various fruits in juice or syrup, cereals a hot buffet sausage, bacon, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, a yellow jelly substance looking vaguely like scrambled eggs and a few lucky guests may have had a fried egg. The rigours of standing in the queue for the toast machine which worked at 220 volts far better than many abroad that struggle on 110 volts. Plenty of butter or margarine portions jams and marmalade. Finally a fun coffee machine that had 3 outlets, how many were wide awake enough to get it right first time?
Problems:-
1) Plumbing not only was Room 83’s bathroom radiator hot, but many had water faults. Some rooms had hot water from both taps, some hot from cold tap and vice versa. Didn’t hear if some rooms had cold only. I know one of our party took iced water from the bar for cleaning teeth.
2) Communications what is check out time on Sunday? Reception suggested 10 am. The web site before arrival 11 am and folder in room midday. Fortunately the Reception staff had some old fashioned savvy and Dariusdave could finish his toast without raised blood pressure.
Other features include an indoor heated swimming pool, a large off road car park. Oh tea and coffee facilities in room 83 not tested.
Would we stay again?
Allowing for being in the real world, for being a Britannia Hotel, if we were organizing another coach trip and price was good yes.

Room Tip: Room 84 spacious for a couple even if wall paper was vintage
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We booked this hotel as we took our 6 year old daughter to see the Bournemouth panto and as we got married at The Carrington House Hotel 8 years earlier we thought it would be nice for her to stay there. On arrival we could not believe how run down the whole place looked, all the fixtures and fittings and were the same but now very worn and run down. On a more positive note our room was large, clean and warm but needed bringing up to date. However, we paid a good price and you do get what you pay for. As this hotel was very personal to us and we have very happy memories of our wedding day it saddened us that it had gone down in quite a short period of time. I would not choose this hotel if I was getting married today. The breakfast was average and another low cost hotel you get far better value for money.

Room Tip: If you are less able ask for a room close to the lift
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Foxeyrich
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed here on a Groupon deal (bed, breakfast, evening meal and a bottle of wine) and because of that it was tremendous value. However, the hotel clearly needs attention. The room was clean and comfortable, but both the room and the bathroom had broken fanlight windows, stuck in a slightly open position. The stair carpet was taped down with the tape hanging off in places, there were cracks and wires hanging out in the main corridors. The evening meal was a serve yourself three course meal but as we had to be at a concert in the early evening we couldn't have it. However, we were supplied with a fairly standard packed lunch instead. Cooked breakfast was not very hot and, there was little choice in the buffet section. Staff were friendly and helpful. I would stay again only if it was a cheap deal.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I booked a room here at the last minute as I was attending an event in Bournemouth and decided to stay the night before. I paid £29.00 for a single room with breakfast. I found the hotel easily and was pleased with the amount of parking and the quick check-in.
My room was on the second floor, which was tricky with all my luggage as the lift from reception to the first floor wasn't working. When I eventually got to the room, I was actually really impressed. The room was much bigger than a lot of double or twin rooms that I had booked in other hotels, and it had a nice simple decor with everything I needed.

After getting settled in I decided to have a bath. In the bathroom there was a note saying that the water may run a funny colour, but this could be resolved by running the tap for a couple of minutes until it runs clear. I ran the bath constantly for 20 minutes and it was still coming out a bright yellow/green colour so I had to just go with that (I appreciate that I could of told reception about this problem, but once you're all ready to get in the bath, its unthinkable to start trekking all the way down to reception and then be faced with maybe having to switch rooms!). After running the taps for so long trying to get clear water, it seemed like all the hot water had gone so I ended up having a combination of a cold bath with a shower that didn't work so I had to use one of the supplied plastic cups to rinse my hair!

I had a good nights sleep apart from the fact my room was next to one of the lifts that went from the 1st to 2nd floor so I did get a bit of noise from the doors opening and closing.
I had planned before I arrived at the hotel to maybe go for a swim in the hotel pool however there was no information in the room at all regarding the hotel facilities or opening times etc, just a ringwood brewery pack. I also couldn't get any WiFi access from my room whatsoever.

Breakfast was okay. It came in a buffet style which unfortunately didn't keep the food hot enough so by the time you got back to your table it was cold. I also didn't think there was a very great selection.

All in all, this hotel appears very nice, and it did meet the majority of the requirements of the stay. I wasn't too disappointed as I paid such a low price for the room. But the standard of the facilities would not of met my expections had I paid as much as some other people appear to!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the ground or first floor!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Rebecca J
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel last night as we had a Christmas party held at the venue.
I've stayed here before and been fairly underwhelmed but never thought strongly enough to write on here.
To cut to the chase we had our room broken into whilst downstairs and many personal items taken. I transpired that after the police looked around the room someone must have had access to a door key! Even more worrying.
Staff on duty did try they're best to a degree but were very sheepish when it was clear someone possibly used a master key.

To summarise the other amenities I would say:
Food on the night was adequate.
Service was ok but rushed and very unorganised.
Rooms are extremely dated and decor needs updating out of the nineties.
Room safe would have been nice!!
All these things however I would have tolerated but night was totally ruined.
Never set foot in this place again.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed for just one night for a birthday treat we had wine, dinner and breakfast package. First impression hotel looked tired car parking area looked like a rubbish tip! Very limited parking would not want to be staying there in height of summer because it would be impossible to park! Receptionist was friendly but didnt give us any info on the hotel we had no idea where to find the pool etc. Went down for dinner very disappointing, it was set menu and i mean set! I am a vegeatarian and they had one option which i did not eat so i ended up with just a plate of potatoes! Tried to ask if i could have something else but the waitress did not understand what i was saying. Breakfast was not much better should have been a buffet but it wasnt! Again asked what hot food was available for vegetarains was told beans and tomatoes! Great dont like them so ended up having just toast! Was told there was not a buffet because the hotel was quiet! The room was very warm and considering it was December again i wouldnt like to stay there when it is warm! Would i stay there again no it wasnt in a particularly good place for Bournemouth service was not very good we had to ask for our bottle of wine which we were told would be in our room. Have stayed in much better hotels so would not be returning to this one!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple