Carrington House Hotel
    Good 3.5/5
    • Pool
    • Beachfront
    1,294 results
    See what travellers are saying:
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 13 February 2014

I attended this hotel for a weekend convention in February, which I have been attending for several years. I am truly shocked at how badly this hotel has deteriorated since my last visit. I amm very thankful that I was unable to get a room here and had to stay at the Travelodge round the corner. My friends, who were unlucky enough to get rooms here were charged over £88 for a double room, only to find stained mattresses and sheets, mould in the bathroom and many other horrors. The Fire exit was locked - apparently due to a flooded path. sorry but in the event of a fire, I'd much rather get wet feet than burn! Completely illegal. Hotel completely uninterested - in an event which filled the hotel with several hundred guests, they bothered to put one peson on reception and most of the time, only one person on the bar. the saturday banquet, for 300 people, had six people serving and took so long that the food was cold when it arrived and for the price they charged was extremely poor quality. Corridors in the hotel shabby, duck tape on the stairs, peeling wallpaper, broken curtain rails, torn curtains, I could go on and on listing the problems (not least of which was the complete lack of interest on the part of management) but I think you get the idea by now. The hotel is a complete disaster and a health and safety nightmare and should be shut down.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
    • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
    4  Thank Kehlan13
    Reviewed 12 February 2014

Food was boil in the bag with very little choice. Rust stained bathroom. Reported that 50% of the lights in my room not working.they were still not working when I left. Would not even recommend to building contractors

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
    6  Thank nigel t
    Reviewed 12 February 2014

I attended this hotel for the weekend of 7/8th February 2014 for an event, and am so glad I decided to NOT stay here too. While the bar/serving staff were polite and friendly they were woefully ran off their feet. There were 2 people manning the 2 bars that were accessible by all (several hundred people), so it took sometime to get served.

The Saturday evening meal was a long drawn out affair, taking nearly 3 hours start to finish. The servers cannot be faulted but the management can. Our table got cold starters (soup) when some of the other tables were halfway through their main course. The table next to ours got so fed up with waiting the phoned out for pizza's to be delivered, thats how bad it was.

The event while good, it was clear from the hotel that they couldn't have cared less if we were there, not a way to impress potential customers. Managers occasionally appeared in the bar areas but did not serve anyone, in fact they didn't seem to care that there was only one person serving and a lot of people waiting.

The toilets in the main conferencing area were something else too, it took 2 days to find a cubicle that had a working lock on the door and the basins had taps that sprayed water in every direction except into the basin!

Worn out carpets (duct taped in places) and the general state of disrepair makes me glad I did not stay here.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
    • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
    7  Thank dan_dtm
    Reviewed 12 February 2014

The only way to get to the main ambassador hall is by going up one lift, along a corridor with two metal ramps (one of them raises you 8 steps higher) and then down another lift to another ramp to get you into the hall. on the Thursday I first attempted this 'journey' only to notice that the entire of the very nigh ramp was missing the safety edging to one side - meaning that any wrong steering on my part would mean I'd fall off (a height of approx 3 feet - which in an electric wheelchair could mean instant death).. when I finally finished my journey & got to the ambassador they've moved the wheelchair ramp for the 3 remaining stairs off to one side. luckily after some shouting a hotel person came and put the ramp back in place - but it took them 4 or 5 goes to get it right as he'd obviously had zero training - and there was no apology in sight.
    It wasn't until the fourth journey down to the ambassador that I realised that the safety chain holding the really big ramp in place wasn't even attached to the safety hook (meaning it could have slipped any of the then 7 goes up/down this ramp). there was no-one in sight so I had to get out of my wheelchair and attach the safety chain myself!! I renamed this ramp 'the death slide' as it gave me the jitters every time I used it. when I reported to reception that the entire safety side was missing she really couldn't have cared less and offered no apology or offer to get it fixed.

there were no safety chains At All on the other two ramps.

brings me out in a cold sweat.

The last time I went there I went to use the disabled toilet in the ladies only to find out that some idiot had left a mop bucket behind the door - which meant it wouldn't open properly so I had to park my wheelchair outside & use my walking sticks to use the toilet - causing me a considerable ammount of pain.

I cannot use the disabled toilet in the ambassador room as it's not big enough to take my wheelchair and close the door (I have a perfectly normal sized chair).
    so every time I wished to use the toilet I had to endure the journey of hell over 3 ramps and two lifts!!

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel if you are disabled or in a wheelchair - they don't seem to care one jot!
    • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
    5  Thank Nicky T
    Reviewed 12 February 2014

The place is a bad and is way over due major repairs inside and out! Rooms are damp, smelly and un-useable! The service was extremely bad, I would never go back in a million years! Reception didn't care when you made a complaint! This is not a hotel but more like a slum!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
    • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo