“coach trip”

Ranked #61 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“coach trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

our coach trip to Bournemouth was initially booked into the cliffside hotel but t the last minute changed to the Carrington.
We were pleasantly surprised as although the decor needed revamping, overall the experience was good.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful as they had two coach parties to deal with as well as other guests.
Would recommend as a good base for the area.

Room Tip: stayed at the back very quiet
2 Thank angela w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

I would like to warn people off of this hotel as I can honestly say it is the worst hotel I have ever had the displeasure of staying in.
The receptionist not so much greeted me as barked the same lines she had repeated to the 2 guests checking in previously.
A poor man and his elderly wife were demanding to see the manager with a variety of complaints throughout the duration of my check in.
I was left to find the lift, which was filthy, and my room without direction.
As I entered the room the smell of stale smoke hit me and the interconnecting door, which had been ripped from its hinges and was leaning against the wall, blocked my path towards the bed.
I went back to reception and was given another room on another floor, which is disgusting to say the least.
Ripped curtains, stained walls, dirty bed covers, holes in the carpet and a window easily accessible from the outside that was wide open, meaning the room was freezing and still is on day 2 as the radiator has yet to produce any heat.
My shower is a trickle, has absolutely no water pressure and the bath has cigarette burns all over it from previous occupants.
The hallways smell bad, the ceilings are damp and stained, light fixtures are hanging from the walls and the over all feel of the place is outdated and dirty.
The internet has been unavailable for 2 days now as it is 'at full capacity' every time I attempt to log on, with the ever changing password I have to request from reception daily.
As it is, the fire alarm has just been pulled and after calling reception I have been informed there may be a fire, may not, so I should just stay in my room for now and basically hope for the best.
I have stayed in hundreds of lovely hotels, 2,3,4 and 5 star rated, but I have never witnessed a shambles such as this. Breakfast is always warm, not hot and is buffet style, which is usually fine if the food is readily available and fresh, however it is like a feeding frenzy with coach loads of foreign exchange students, elderly day trippers and couples fighting for leftovers. I witnessed a waiter sneeze into a hot plate, a basket of bread knocked onto the floor and then returned to pride of place by the toaster and cutlery that was so smeared and smudged they had clearly not been steamed in years. Overall The carringtton house hotel is a disgrace, I do not have one good thing to say about my stay here and I can't wait to leave.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank UkAdele

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

stayed for one night dinner very good value basic menu but very nice; breakfast was also very good well cooked and plenty of choice . staff very good but could do with more on duty as they had a job to cope and we had to wait a long time for service.room very dated wallpaper peeling also very dusty the hotel is in need of a complete update but very good value as we only paid £39 b&b..

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed my stay here,very friendly staff,room was very clean and the breakfast was excellent.would definitely recommend. I will be staying here again.Thanks to Hannah on the front desk for making me feel welcome and the excellent customer service skills. Also a big thank you to Teresa in the restaurant,the service in the restaurant was excellent,and the food was perfect.Thank you so much,David

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Visiting family in Southampton we drove a extra 10 miles and will do so every time to stay here 2 nights we stayed and a great 3 course meal was produced and my kids ate as much as they could also they went in the pool and indoor soft play great all you can eat breakfast, big room flat screen tv 60 channels all this for a mere £45 a night thanks guys I'm coming back for Easter forget all the bad reviews people pay 45 and expect the savoy we got wat we paid for plus lots more thanks again

• Stayed February 2014
Chippenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

The Carrington House Hotel's manager and all staff that we met were very professional, helpful and friendly throughout our overnight stay. Our second floor rooms were comfortable, well heated, and the bath/shower water was clean with no hot and cold fluctuation mentioned by previous reviewers. There was a good choice of tasty food at the correct serving temperature for the buffet dinner with fresh ingredients used such as in the salad starter and fruit salad dessert option - our kids went for the chocolate fudge cake of course! Breakfast choices were good and all tasted fine to us! Attentive staff were on reception and in the restaurant so we had a pleasant experience with minimum waiting time. We were able to use the facilities after the 10 am room check out and the swimming pool was heated (heater now fixed), was clean with clean changing room and the shower in the female changing room worked fine - I swam with my younger son whilst my husband played table tennis with our eldest son in the adjoining area. I imagine that the Carrington's owners will deal with the concerns expressed by recent reviewers which made for scary reading. Based on our family's experience this weekend, staying in second floor rooms, we would definitely stay here again and regarded this to be a very good last minute family getaway hotel being great value for money.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 29 and 40 being offered these at no extra cost in place of the family room booked...
1 Thank Doddsquad4
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Having read the reviews about this hotel i was not looking forward to staying. The people who right these reviews must like to complain. I found the staff very friendly the atmosphere in hotel was great food was brill and the rooms were very comfy. Having stayed in Brittania hotels in my capacity as a coach driver i must admit this was by far one of their better hotels

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business