“Poor”

Carrington House Hotel
Ranked #61 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Tired and dated. Rubbish plastic shower that had given up the ghost years ago and taps that sprayed your clothes every time you turned them on. Labyrinthine corridor to first floor rooms but no clear signage for finding your way back again. There could be pensioners lost in there as we speak!
I did have a balcony complete with two plastic chairs but the view was, shall we say, resistable.
Don't go.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Timtee56
Write a ReviewReviews (1,277)

Reviewed 7 June 2014

In reference to our holiday as detailed above 02/06/14 to 06/06/14 at the Carrington House Hotel Bournemouth.

Having previously booked with Ukbreakaways, we obviously had certain expectations from your four star hotel listed as and I quote, “Excellent standard of accommodation, usually offering and increased range of facilities,” The Carrington does not in any way shape or form live up to its star rating or your brochure description.

When we arrived we could not get on the car park, while I understand community cohesion, it shouldn't have a negative effect on hotel guests, examinations in progress meant that the car park was unavailable until early evening, meaning my wife and I couldn't enjoy an afternoon glass of wine.

The hotel itself is currently undergoing renovations on a major scale, which is not a problem if you intend to holiday on a building site, however the aim of our break was to celebrate fifty years of marriage, so again was left disappointed.

To say the bedrooms were tired looking is a vast understatement, the décor was outdated and in need of repair, the bathroom was substandard and in need of attention from a plumber.

Our evening meal provide yet more cause for complaint, the food was bland and unappetizing, I have eaten better at our local hospital.

On to our evening of entertainment, again I will reiterate what your brochure states that you offer, “Accommodation offers some entertainment,” except that the Carrington doesn't offer entertainment at all. When booking our holiday I doubled checked that evening entertainment was on offer as advertised and was given every assurance that it was. Fearing I had made an error and booked the wrong hotel, I consulted the brochure only to find that it was the company at fault again, just quick look at the symbols you can identify what is happening at each venue. My choice of hotel was based on entertainment.

I did not mind the work men coming in the bar with their work clothes, although I did expect a dress policy in a four star hotel, and to find chair covered in builders dust was not what I expected.

Upon chatting to other guests I was not alone in my concerns and am sure that you will be hearing from many more people. I was horrified to discover that the coach party that stayed the same time as us only paid half what we did, and am sure that they didn't have issues with an oversubscribed car park.

The whole holiday was not only a huge disappointment, but was not what I had paid for, in a time of mis-selling scandals I firmly believe this is what has happened, before I take matter further I would be interested in your response to my complaint and am looking forward to a full refund of the price paid.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mrdbarratt
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I travelled as part of a golf group staying at this hotel for 4 nights on a dinner, bed and b/fast basis with single room occupancy. This was our 4th visit to this hotel. We make our own booking and have received a very favourable rate on each of the occasions we have stayed there. We'd been more than happy to return based on previous experiences. Unfortunately on this occasion our experience has resulted in a group decision never to use this hotel again. From the moment we arrived the whole experience was simply awful. Some of the group were assigned to rooms that should not have been in use. I was assigned to a room that was already occupied and was given a key which gave me access. I'm sure the occupant must have been somewhat alarmed when I entered the room. The dinner on day 1 was almost inedible and we only saw a very limited improvement after the group organisers had met with the Hotel Manager. In fairness to him he did his best to rectify the situation. We know that the hotel had been taken over by the Britannia group since we last stayed. It was very disappointing to return and find that the systems in place for serving guests had deteriorated so badly.
The hotel is in need of a major overhaul. The standards of cleanliness in the public areas (hallways and corridors was abysmal. The decor is desperately in need refurbishment as is most of the plumbing. It was noticeable that there were considerably fewer staff members than on previous visits and except for the last night we had to queue at the bar to be served drinks.

Room Tip: Don't stay there.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank David G
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Booked in here by mistake and was pleasantly surprised, took the dinner bed & breakfast option, fantastic value, food was superb, no its not the Ritz but nor is it Ritz prices. Near to the beach, great staff, would use again

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Simon S
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here over the Bank holiday weekend. Clean enough but needs a big revamp! Bedrooms dated, swimming pool and sauna facilities not pleasant enough to get us in them!! On the up side, breakfast was great and our room was lovely and peaceful.

Room Tip: Just ask for a quiet one at the back! Other people were complaining of noise at 3am but we slept so...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank snowysheff
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Booking in was a nightmare. I was with a bridge event and at least 10 people I know, (could be many more) did not have rooms available for them despite confirmed bookings. Which meant several were sent to other hotels. Not ideal as they had booked in the hotel due to the event being there,
Breakfast very limited unless you want a very mediocre cooked breakfast with hard eggs.
Water for tea out of a thermos. Buffet dinner - ok starter and good pudds, but main course!!!!
Rooms shoddy, poor electrics and plumbing, while under the shower it changed from warm to scalding. Room not serviced despite sign on the door from mid morning. Told I could go to reception and pick up clean towels etc. if I wished when I informed them.
Some of the staff did try to be very helpful, and I felt sorry for them as all they had to listen to all weekend was complaints.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank TravellingSheena
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This was our second visit to the Carrington House in three weeks. The first visit was bad enough - the second was worse - despite being assured that this time round we would stay in a refurbished family room - the pictures speak for themselves. Our room was basic to say the least, the bathroom grouting was dirty and coming away from the wall. The shower was the same strength as a garden watering can - there was no cold water, only scalding hot - we had to resort to a strip wash at the sink - not satisfactory for 2 adults and 2 young children. The carpet was torn, the windows grubby - the 'new' curtains had stains and the curtain hooks were rusting - above the curtain pelmit there was something disgusting and rotten. There was no bulb in the lampstand, the lights above the bed were too low, so that we continually bashed our heads on them - one the shades was dented and out of shape. The pool was unpleasant - there were tiles missing, a dirty piece of cork matting greeted us as we stepped into the pool area. The handrail down into the pool was rusting and corroded - both a health hazard and a danger to those using it. We actually felt dirty having been in the pool. The food was ok - nothing more than that - and in the morning the breakfast was like a scrum. This hotel is way past it's sell-by date. On a positive note many of the staff were lovely - however, this doesn't make up for the very poor condition of the hotel. We are STILL awaiting a phone call from the Deputy Manager which we were promised yesterday afternoon. I will be taking my complaint higher. My tip would be: STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

Room Tip: Don't consider booking this hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family