“No excuse!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #63 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
Tiverton, United Kingdom
“No excuse!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I know we had a cheapish deal but that is no excuse for the appalling condition of the bathroom of room 104.

The shower curtain was dirty, the basin had a huge black crack across it and was also blocked.

Room Tip: One previous comment has remarked that there is no clear signs for the upper rooms. We went up in t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Yvonne N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

My husband & I stayed at this hotel last week, NEVER AGAIN ! It is dirty unkempt & a health & safety nightmare. Carpets poorly taped down, fire doors propped open, cooking oil stacked outside under steps, grounds overgrown , building work going on , food terrible, curtains in our room filthy, bathroom fittings all broken, shower unusable, Toilet badly stained, very little choice in room for tea & coffe & no choice of milk. I could go on , continental breakfast doesn't exist , restaurant & bar staff treat you as if you are invisible & all look really fed up ! Only one saving grace a lovely & extremely helpful receptionist called Ava she was a star, very professional in difficult circumstances, well done Ava. Possible guests beware this place is not what it looks !!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank elaine s

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Tired and dated. Rubbish plastic shower that had given up the ghost years ago and taps that sprayed your clothes every time you turned them on. Labyrinthine corridor to first floor rooms but no clear signage for finding your way back again. There could be pensioners lost in there as we speak!
I did have a balcony complete with two plastic chairs but the view was, shall we say, resistable.
Don't go.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Timtee56
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

In reference to our holiday as detailed above 02/06/14 to 06/06/14 at the Carrington House Hotel Bournemouth.

Having previously booked with Ukbreakaways, we obviously had certain expectations from your four star hotel listed as and I quote, “Excellent standard of accommodation, usually offering and increased range of facilities,” The Carrington does not in any way shape or form live up to its star rating or your brochure description.

When we arrived we could not get on the car park, while I understand community cohesion, it shouldn't have a negative effect on hotel guests, examinations in progress meant that the car park was unavailable until early evening, meaning my wife and I couldn't enjoy an afternoon glass of wine.

The hotel itself is currently undergoing renovations on a major scale, which is not a problem if you intend to holiday on a building site, however the aim of our break was to celebrate fifty years of marriage, so again was left disappointed.

To say the bedrooms were tired looking is a vast understatement, the décor was outdated and in need of repair, the bathroom was substandard and in need of attention from a plumber.

Our evening meal provide yet more cause for complaint, the food was bland and unappetizing, I have eaten better at our local hospital.

On to our evening of entertainment, again I will reiterate what your brochure states that you offer, “Accommodation offers some entertainment,” except that the Carrington doesn't offer entertainment at all. When booking our holiday I doubled checked that evening entertainment was on offer as advertised and was given every assurance that it was. Fearing I had made an error and booked the wrong hotel, I consulted the brochure only to find that it was the company at fault again, just quick look at the symbols you can identify what is happening at each venue. My choice of hotel was based on entertainment.

I did not mind the work men coming in the bar with their work clothes, although I did expect a dress policy in a four star hotel, and to find chair covered in builders dust was not what I expected.

Upon chatting to other guests I was not alone in my concerns and am sure that you will be hearing from many more people. I was horrified to discover that the coach party that stayed the same time as us only paid half what we did, and am sure that they didn't have issues with an oversubscribed car park.

The whole holiday was not only a huge disappointment, but was not what I had paid for, in a time of mis-selling scandals I firmly believe this is what has happened, before I take matter further I would be interested in your response to my complaint and am looking forward to a full refund of the price paid.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mrdbarratt
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I travelled as part of a golf group staying at this hotel for 4 nights on a dinner, bed and b/fast basis with single room occupancy. This was our 4th visit to this hotel. We make our own booking and have received a very favourable rate on each of the occasions we have stayed there. We'd been more than happy to return based on previous experiences. Unfortunately on this occasion our experience has resulted in a group decision never to use this hotel again. From the moment we arrived the whole experience was simply awful. Some of the group were assigned to rooms that should not have been in use. I was assigned to a room that was already occupied and was given a key which gave me access. I'm sure the occupant must have been somewhat alarmed when I entered the room. The dinner on day 1 was almost inedible and we only saw a very limited improvement after the group organisers had met with the Hotel Manager. In fairness to him he did his best to rectify the situation. We know that the hotel had been taken over by the Britannia group since we last stayed. It was very disappointing to return and find that the systems in place for serving guests had deteriorated so badly.
The hotel is in need of a major overhaul. The standards of cleanliness in the public areas (hallways and corridors was abysmal. The decor is desperately in need refurbishment as is most of the plumbing. It was noticeable that there were considerably fewer staff members than on previous visits and except for the last night we had to queue at the bar to be served drinks.

Room Tip: Don't stay there.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank David G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Booked in here by mistake and was pleasantly surprised, took the dinner bed & breakfast option, fantastic value, food was superb, no its not the Ritz but nor is it Ritz prices. Near to the beach, great staff, would use again

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Simon S
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here over the Bank holiday weekend. Clean enough but needs a big revamp! Bedrooms dated, swimming pool and sauna facilities not pleasant enough to get us in them!! On the up side, breakfast was great and our room was lovely and peaceful.

Room Tip: Just ask for a quiet one at the back! Other people were complaining of noise at 3am but we slept so...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family