“A lovely weekend.Looking forward to our next stay.”

Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel
Ranked #38 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 27 June 2011

This was a rare family weekend away.

All the staff at the Highcliff Marriott were very friendly and couldn't do enough to help.
One of the highlights for us was the amazing breakfast on offer.
As veggies it was wonderful to be able to eat a varied breakfdast that was freshly cooked and delicious.
All too often we get stuck with an egg because we don't eat bacon or sausage.
Our 9 year old daughter went to the buffet which offered pancakes, fresh fruit, freshly cooked omelettes and chocolate muffins (!) amongst many other items.
For a very fussy child with a small appetite she ate a heck of a lot!
The view from our sea view cottge was beautiful.
The rooms were spotless,the beds comfy,the shower powerful and the handwritten welcome with a couple of bottles of soft drinks capped it off.
The area is fantastic with so much to do...we really needed a week.
We spent our first day on Brownsea Island photographing red squirrels and building dens.
If we'd had time on the Sunday we would have visited Corfe Castle but unfortunately we ran out of time,having promised our daughter a trip to the pier!

Thanks for a lovely break...we will be back soon.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,608)

Reviewed 24 June 2011

Barry Manillow because they've tried to make the effort to modernise the face but when you stare at it from any angles its a place frozen in time! The location is brilliant, with the entrance facing Bournemouth Beach, however upon entry the true colours show. Through the rotating doors you are faced with an old looking lobby, the warmth of the reception staff does not detract from the 1970s mustard coloured carpets, old shaky lift and cramped rooms. No minibar, no complimentary water, and the room smelt of an old country house that is only used by a family in the summer holidays. I wasn't impressed with the cobwebs on the curtains and blanket covers you expect your grandma to use. Although there were many negatives, the staff were friendly, the breakfast buffet was more than adequate for any cullinery critic an the location of the site is pretty much perfect. In the words of Barry himself "Could it be magic?" - My answer is "NO"

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank COOPSTheNaughtyNomad
Reviewed 23 June 2011

We spent the weekend at the hotel to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday and had a great time. The staff were attentive and made sure we were well looked after. The cjhef wrote Happy 21st birthday in chocolate on my daughter's dessert plate which was a fantastic touch. Both rooms had a magnificent view over the bay and were lovely.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Son booked above Suite as a surprise. Arrived 3.30 room not ready. Apparently previous guest (a bride) had simply not checked out. At about 5.30 after being offered drinks, meals etc. but still not checked in, we were told that staff were cleaning out her personal belongings. She had obviously not checked out at all and her party was being flagged up in the reception area. If we had stuck it out I wonder how long it would have taken to check in. We were not offered alternative accommodation and I think the hotel were hoping we would just cancel, as ultimately we had to. Most people know when to check out, and as far as I can tell the bride would have been staying late courtesy of our son's wallet. The Manager told my son that we had been looked after, but we are retired and we expected to book in and rest, not sit around in a lounge bar. Even when we cancelled at 5.30 pm we still had not been told the Suite was ready! We did the hotel a favour by cancelling and it was us who bore the cost of their bad management.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
13  Thank tired27121938
Reviewed 16 June 2011

150 people with my party which was for our yearly team retreat.

Have been attending these all over the country every year for the last 15 years staying at different hotels. This one was the worst for poor organisation by the hotel. NO rooms were ready until 3pm. Anywhere else we have been there have always been some rooms available.

No separate check in for our group although this had been promised. 1 person on reception so long queues on arrival and departure (never experienced such long queues anywhere else we have stayed).

Lunch provided was okay. However one of my colleagues found a large lump of plastic in his salad. A very terse sorry and it was taken away. I would have expected a manager at the very least to come and offer his apologies. Then had to return a filthy glass which desert had been served in. This time no apology at all, just took the glass away.

Dinner that evening, the service was terrible despite the fact we had ordered in advanced and our organiser provided table plans, a list of the meals for each table and so forth. The wine was disgusting and was actually undrinkable. The food was okay.

The room was lovely, bed comfortable, bathroom clean, but when the delivered our luggage to our room they put my jacket in someone else's room despite the fact it was on top of my suitcase. When I went to reception they insisted it had been put in the correct room. It hadn't and was subsequently returned to me.

The breakfast was okay and the lunch the following day was poor with very little choice.

Checkout was as bad as check in and for the first time ever we had to queue for ages to get our luggage from the left luggage room.

We have been back to other hotels twice and in one case three times because everything had been so well organised. We will not be returning here.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank matler
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I'd been recommend this hotel by many people, and as a general fan of the Marriott chain was looking forward to the high standard of service you get from the Marriott, especially with the price tag of £210 a night bed and breakfast! Pricey I feel for a hotel in Bournemouth, more what i expected to pay for a London Marriott.

The hotel has been refurbished to a high standard, attractive lobby, bar and restaurant areas, smart reception and great leisure club - but where are the staff. Check In was painfully slow on arrival at 3pm - it took 10 minutes for the guest ahead of me to be checked in and then the same for me, even though I had provided all my details some time ago.... didn't understand that! No concierge to help with bags, so headed up to the room with bags in tow, still saved us a tip I guess!

Rooms in the old building are compact and bijou - comfortable and to the Marriott standard, great views of Bournemouth beach and air con if you wish it.

The star point of the hotel is their leisure club, amazing indoor pool nice and warm, great whirlpool spa, steam room, sauna and gym, but the highlight is the outdoor pool which is as warm as your shower or bath.

Service in general at the Marriott however is frustrating... extremely slow (done at their pace and time not yours) and you have to ask for everything. Take breakfast for example, a hot help yourself buffet with a chef keeping an eye on levels of food - so how come you run out of bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs and mushrooms at the same time for each of the three days I was there, and then give a cuss when I ask for them!?!? Just plain ludicrous!

The same happened in the bar, when wanting a drink, and again a cup of tea.... not the Marriott standard at all.... really disappointing.

Value for money for me gets a 1 because there was no love or care of the guest, no thought as to the guests needs, at at the price, more expensive than some of the Marriotts in London, you expect a certain level. In some ways I wish I had holidayed at Canary Wharf, at least you get fantastic reliable service there.

A shame, as this could be a real gem, and a further shame that the charm is turned on for wedding guests and not average joe public.

Do yourself and your wallet a favour, find a cheaper hotel in Bournemouth - you'll be glad you saved the pennies!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank baloobear
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Hotel located on the top of the cliff but with easy access to the beach and the city.
Breakfast up to all Marriott standards with really nice staff.
Loved the outside pool although the weather didn't really allowed us to spend too much time over there. Thanks to the pool bar it feels like in a holiday resort.

Room was specious and we were lucky to have a wonderful sea view:)Would go back there again soon if i could:)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple