“Lovely Breakfast!”

Ranked #33 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Breakfast!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Our trip is short but sweet. We enjoyed our stay in this hotel and find it really relaxing. They have a fantastic full english breakfast and so is the other menu items. Staff is very attentive! Thank you very much we will return :)

1 Thank kimcobb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Rochester, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

I came to learn a lot about the highcliffe during my 2 week and 4 day stay. Let me begin by saying that my experience as a whole was wonderful in many aspects and there were only a few minor items that maintained the gap between very good and excellent...in my opinion of course...

Location
Amazing. Very short walk to the square...although the end of the night uphill climb is tough if you are overweight, elderly or intoxicated. The ocean view from the front step is breathtaking. Likewise from the lifts conveniently scaling the bluff directly from your front door. I also enjoyed strolls down the beach toward Poole and envisioned playing with my daughter on the ocean themed playground not too far down. I had a blast exploring gardens and trails all easily within walking distance. Fantastic.

The Room
At the time, I was traveling with 3 colleagues who also had rooms at the highcliffe. Some were better than others, but all were very clean and well maintained.
The king bed was comfortable and fit well in the room. I also liked the on screen bill feature within the tv. This helped track expenses over the long stay. My only negative comment regrading the room was the heat control not raising the temperature. Air would circulate but not get warm. I did not contact the hotel about this as it was minor for me.

The Food
I enjoyed breakfast every morning of my stay. The full English breakfast was fantastic as were other menu items. I especially enjoyed the assortment of fresh breads in the morning as well as made to order omelets. Dinner, typically steak, was equally good. Even the late night deli sandwiches from the 24 hr menu were great. All around fantastic food. Seemed like a popular place for Sunday roast as indicated by the large parties I observed each weekend.

The Staff
Kind, courteous and helpful. The service you would hope for and expect anywhere you stayed.

So why not excellent?
Small things really. Things that vary from hotel to hotel and may be expected by some and/or neglected by others.
No free internet in the room.
No good. Yes public wifi is available in the lobby and dining room, but wifi in the room is going to run £75 per week (more if purchasing single days).

Knit picking my bill.
I understand that this is a business. And in business they are out to make money, that is to be expected. But I also don't expect to have to explain being over charged for a service multiple times as was the case when I had an extra £75-100 on my bill. It was clearly their error, yet the manager didn't seem to want to accept that. I'm sure many dishonest people try and get things taken off of their bill...however as a customer that just spent thousands of pounds, you should probably trust that I am not trying to swindle you out of 100 extra.
Upon agreeing with me after my third explanation I signed my bill. Moments later this particular manager came to my breakfast table and asked if he could issue me yet another bill because he forgot to add some other charge. This other charge was £11. Really? £11? It was extremely silly and vexed me quite a bit. Its a shame my stay had to end on a sour note.

However all in all I enjoyed myself. I would definitely return to this hotel, whether on business or with my family. Love the relaxed vibe and class atmosphere. Thank you to all the staff and I hope to see you again. Cheers.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Michael D
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Arrived on friday night, room had a large king sized bed but a disappointly small bathroom. Brakfast in bed arrived late both mornings. Interior needs a good lick of paint and the service could be better. Charged £5 for a small jar of nuts in the bar, bit of a joke. Manager was very unfriendly when checking out at 1pm. No need for the attitude to be honest! Felt being charged 10 GBP for parking was a bit of a joke given I am paying 140 GBP per night!

Room Tip: sea facing view, large bed suites if they have them book well in advance
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Great location & very friendly service from all staff. Prices were a bit high, although Sunday breakfast was worth every penny, especially with the good weather & views. The room was clean & tidy with everything that was needed for a nights stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We spent a lovely weekend while celebrating our anniversary. The staff was very welcoming and friendly, especially Mariann from Highcliff Grill restaurant, where we had the pleasure to enjoy 2 delicious dinners and morning breakfast.
All Front Desk staff was brilliant, especially the girl who checked us in and offered us a amazing sea view room. We also received an amazing welcome gift in the room from Guest Relations (Teresa Murray), we really enjoyed the bottle of wine, chocolates and fruit platter.
I have to send a personal thank you note to the Engineer who saved my life... literally...as I was so "lucky" to drop my passport in the gap between the elevator and the floor... he managed to fish it out for me! Thank you one more time!
The only minus of the Hotel is the old and used furniture (new mattress would be nice), especially old carpets, cracked ceiling in the room and dirty shower and minibar. The hotel needs some refurbishment.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are perfect for couples... you wake up in the morning and all you see is sunshine (if...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Migotka88
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here recently. The hotel has a magnificent position overlooking the sea and the staff were very attentive. Unfortunately we could not get a room with a sea view and were kindly given a larger suite but towards the rear of the hotel. The room was fine but above, I guess in a similar suite, was a family with children who ran up and down from early morning and were still running late at night. The hotel staff did try to get them to calm down but without much success.
I suspect the hotel is excellent if you are in one of the rooms at the front but from the back of the hotel to the reception / breakfast involved a maze like route along corridors, through fire doors and up and down stairs. Finding our way back to the room was even more difficult and a tour guide would have come in useful!

Room Tip: get one at the front of the hotel
1 Thank Eric D
Hook
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

From the moment we arrived we felt most welcome. Our room had a wonderful sea view. The room was a little dusty but otherwise nice and clean. My only complaint would be that at breakfast it got very congested around the self service area, and that is not really a complaint that deserves mentioning but it is the only negative I can think of. Well done Marriott and all your staff.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view on a high floor to get the best views. we were opposite the lift but did not hear...