“Lovely views and communal areas”

Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel
Ranked #39 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We booked a night here for Valentine's weekend - paid £99 B&B on a Sunday night. We paid £30 to upgrade to a top floor sea view room on arrival, which was well worth it. Unfortunately, the hotel's crowing glory - it's sea view - was marred by the poor state of the window in our room; it was moudly, dirty, damp and poorly patched up (see photos). The reception staff were all excellent: extremely welcoming and helpful at all times. There were problems with the lift which meant we had to keep walking up and down to the 4th floor. Didn't like having to pay £10 to park; other 4* Bournemouth hotels offer free parking. The room itself was nice: a huge, comfy, king-sized bed; a clean, modern bathroom; plenty of pillows & cushions. The decor is a bit dated I suppose and some furniture a bit tired. But, more significantly, there was thick dust on the bed valance and large stains on the fabric armchairs. The communal areas of the hotel are lovely with the exception of the hideous carpet! The 'library' area is particularly nice. The leisure facilities are good but it is open to non-hotel-guests and was full of young children, which didn't make for a restful experience. The leisure staff were not friendly or helpful either and no robes/slippers are provided. Breakfast was fantastic - a huge range of food available and no supplements for menu dishes. Again, the waiting staff were very attentive. All in all, a mixed bag: we loved the unrivalled sea view but would not stay again, having had a much more positive experience at newly-refurbished Connaught Hotel the previous night.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth paying extra for.
Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Tony E, Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear DEA26, thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us at the Highcliff Hotel, it is so disappointing that we have not met all of your expectations at the time of your visit.
You can be assured that today I have reviewed all of our rooms on the top floor and the room that you have stayed in is now currently being rectified.
As you have stated we are very popular within the local area in connection with our Leisure Club however moving forward we will be monitoring the number of persons we have in the Club more closely.
I would like to sincerely apologise for the level of service and product in which you have received across the hotel, you can be assured that I have personally celebrated your comments with the relevant teams as necessary and we will be learning from your other comments to ensure we are consistently meeting our guests expectation across the hotel.
It is disappointing that we were unable to resolve your challenges before your departure from us however I would like the opportunity to restore your faith in the Highcliff Hotel.
If I can request that you contact myself directly when your next looking to stay with us so I can personally oversee all necessary arrangements, please call me on 01202 557702.
I look forward in having the opportunity to welcome you back to us again in the very near future.
Yours sincerely
Tony Edwards
Director Of Operations

Reviewed 12 February 2014

absolutely wonderful experience apart lady in the reception, unfriendly, spoiled all day - Verina. Luckily other staff in the restaurant make us feel great, we had also long and sunny beautiful day, long walk to that cliff.

Room Tip: avoid rooms in the wings, just main building, sea view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank m g
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Old building,nicely refurbished and our room was spacious and very comfortable. The breakfast was one of the best we have experienced whilst travelling. Attended a function there and the function dining could have been a little better, but it was OK. Found the staff friendly and helpful and the stay was very pleasing. However, I do wish that the hotel would stock proper beer. They did not even have bottled English ales. Parking is a nightmare unless you are very lucky to find a space in their limited car park. Would use it again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank GPS2014
Reviewed 31 January 2014

From the fuss free checking to the stress free check out two days later everything went very smoothly and comfortably. The room was clean and well equipped with all the essentials, my early morning trips to the spa were a great way to start the day, alas the excellent breakfast quickly undid any benefits gained from the spa.
The staff were nearly all very efficient, courteous and friendly, the location is unbeatable over looking the rolling waters of Poole Bay and the English Channel beyond an appropriate vista for the annual sailing conference!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
HighcliffGM, General Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your stay and the conference.

We always enjoy hosting you and your colleagues for your annual event - so it is nice to hear that you enjoyed your time here too.

Thank you again for your feeback and for staying with us - We hope to see you again next year if not sooner.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

On arrival the attention of the consierge cannot be underestimated. The customer service at the hotel is faultless. Receptionists say all the right things and the timing from arrival to room was faultless. A sherry overlooking the bay passed the time and once seen the room was well worth the wait.

We were part of a special event so truly cannot complain however the buffet that was provided for our function was horribly dry, cold and ultimately inedible. Not our hosts fault but disappointing as we were starving by 9.30 pm.

A highlight was the breakfast - amazing and as mentioned before the service impeccable throughout.

Thank You for an amazing stay but I would think twice about an event if the food was as bad as we suffered - maybe an all day breakfast is the answer!

Room Tip: Room was horribly hot, even in January. Tried to cool it with the air conditioning but to little ef...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2014

There are so many great things to say about this hotel. The included breakfast is fantastic - so much variety and just a great way to start the day overlooking the ocean from the dining area.

My wife and I had our wedding reception here and stayed in one of the junior suites. We've been back to the same room twice since and it's still as great as we remember it. Each time our room request has been met, which is wonderful and adds so much to our experience for nostalgic reasons. The room itself is very good - two large TVs for the bedroom and the sitting area, comfortable bed.

The staff are wonderful, the location is amazing, the rooms are great, the breakfast is fantastic and though I have never used it, the leisure facilities get great reviews. So why no excellent rating you ask?

The shower is not a great experience. The width of the bathtub at the showerhead end is so narrow it's ridiculous. It's fine if you actually take a bath and you sit at the wider end, but taking a shower is a pain. I seriously felt like I was taking a shower while standing on a balance beam. One step to the left or right and you would slip. There is just enough space to stand with your feet together, but that's hardly relaxing nor easy to maneuver!

And annoyingly, there's no free WiFi for guests! OK, I exaggerate, you are fortunate enough to get a small window of free WiFi in your room - about one hour if I remember rightly, but come on! For the price you pay to stay here, you should be getting free WiFi in this day and age. What's more annoying is the outrageous price for connecting to the WiFi for 24 hours if you wanted to, plus the fact that visitors to the restaurant get free WiFi downstairs. Seems a bit off to me...residents don't get it but lunch visitors do.

On this particular visit we were also disappointed to find some left behind rubbish in the room. Room key, water bottle, etc. Not a lot, but still not what you expect when you check in. Either the previous guest had managed to get back in to the room after housekeeping had been in, or housekeeping just didn't finish their work. It was taken care of quickly and we were offered a room change, which wasn't necessary.

I still like the hotel a lot, it has many things going for it, but the WiFi is a pet peeve of mine and the shower is of upmost importance in my hotel stays. For such a great facility in every other way, it's a shame.

Still, recommended for it's location, breakfast and overall room quality.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris B
HighcliffGM, General Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Chris

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your stay at The Highcliff here on Tripadvisor.
It is nice to hear that the hotel holds some great memories for you and your wife and I am very pleased that in the main, you enjoy staying with us.

With regard to the bathtub in your suite, could I ask that you kindly email me directly and let me know which suite you stayed in, as this is an issue that has never been identified before? We do have some smaller bathtubs in the bedrooms that occupy the former coast guard cottages, due to the configuration of these listed historic buildings, we in think that this is part of the charm of the cottages. Please do drop me an email though if you will.

The situation that you report regarding some waste items in the room is clearly a mistake on our part and I appologise for that. It is more likely that we missed emptying one of the waste bins, than a prior guest being able to access the room.

With regard to wifi, we do provide a completely free wifi service throughout the public areas of the hotel: lounge, bar, restaurant, lobby and health club. You are correct in that we do currently have a charge for the much higher band width service that is available in our bedrooms, ideal for streaming a movie or downloading large presentation type files.

Thank you again for returning to stay with us and I hope that we will see you back at the Highcliff again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We have stayed here many times and it is always a great place to stay. Have just returned from a great weekend here and it was better than ever. The hotel has a great location, the public rooms have a fantastic view. Lovely furnishings in the public areas and the bedrooms and everywhere spotlessly clean, I always say it is the only hotel that I would feel confident looking under the bed and find it as clean as everywhere else. The bedclothes, towels and choices of pillows is superb and best of all the. staff are amazing, they are very friendly and welcoming and exceptionally efficient. The food is good, particularly the breakfast. We can't think of any negative so thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank sbcb
HighcliffGM, General Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for taking time to write such a positive review - it is wonderful to know that you hold the hotel in such high regard.

I am very proud of the team here at the Highcliff, so greatly appreciate your acknowledgement of the service and engagement that you have received whilst staying with us.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Highcliff and to Bournemouth soon.

Kind regards