“Great weekend getaway”

Ranked #33 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
newcastle
“Great weekend getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

It's the staff that make the difference in this hotel, they are well trained, very polite and extremely helpful.
Leisure facilities and spa great for relaxing.
Good location on sea front, right next to lift for those who can't manage the steep slope down to beach. Lovely bar and barbecue to front of hotel.
We stayed in one of cottages which were absolutely delightful, very clean and well decorated.
Hotel restaurant very good value and steaks were great, although the puddings were exceptional especially with matching cocktails., will definitely return.

Room Tip: Either go for a sea view or a cottage.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jillywhe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We had a great spa weekend with girls. There were 3 of us, really enjoyed outdoor heated swimming pool (with nice music) and lazy sunbathing followed by Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Outdoor pool staff was very friendly, professional and helpful, especially lifeguard (sorry dont know his name).
Very nice breakfast - good choice: english breakfast or continental, a lot of fruits and fresh juices, grapefruit one - was great. Also, location is great: just next to the beach and just 5 min to city center, great bar 1812 with amazing live music and nice cocktails ( 5 min walk).
We are really looking forward for next bank holidays to enjoy sunbathing with beautiful views at hotel.

Elena

Room Tip: Junior suit - for 3 people - good choice
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lena P
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Superb staff, clean hotel, great facilities and generally top knotch all round.
I had an issue with the food which was resolved very quickly and can only assume it was a one off. If it was not for this I would no doubt havegiven afive.
WillI return...YOU BET.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonWinnie
Ashford Middx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Arrived at hotel around 1pm. Told by check in staff room not ready but guaranteed check in at 3pm. Know the drill as Silver Marriott member. Left bags went for walk and arrived back at 3.10pm. Room not ready (??). They had 2 hours to get this done, I'm sure not every one was checking in at 3pm. Have free drink in bar. Ok but what happen to 'Guaranteed 3pm check in'.
Loose apologies, we weren't the only people either.
Room fine, clean not too warn, good A/c although noisy.
Breakfast was OK, the staff seemed flustered, obviously not used to having the hotel full. Ended up in back breakfast room which was OK but we were hopping for a sea view over breakfast.
Due to bad weather to ate in the hotel restaurant, quite expensive but food and service good.
Rate this hotel as expensive for Bournemouth, would stay again if on special offer not full price.

Room Tip: sea view but you pay the price.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hongkongandy
Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Our visit was perfect we had a Cottage Room which was comfortable and enjoyable to stay in. We visited the restaurant for dinner and although at first we struggled to find something we liked but we got there in the end. Overall a top hotel no issues.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Mmmmmm, peeling paint, holes in the wall, noisy trollies and chip & pin machine not working!!
Oh!! And they run out of vodka!! Meant to be 4 star?? No chance!! Everyone was nice and the room was ok and a nice comfy bed but I'm afraid that's about it. Breakfast in the morning was something to forget, left sitting there for 10 mins with no one coming to see us. I went to get food from the hot plate and when I got back my wife was still waiting to be served meaning we did not eat brekkie together. I will try another hotel next time

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bigjay40
Tony E, Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Bigjay40,
Thank you for your post, it is such a shame that we have not met your expectations at the time of your visit. I can assure you that this is certainly not to our normal standard of service and of course we would like to have the opportunity to welcome you back to us, when you look to return to Bournemouth then it would be my pleasure to personally look after your reservation, give me a call on 01202 557702 so that we can discuss your previous stay and ensure your next stay is brilliant.
I look forward in welcoming you back to us soon.
Tony Edwards
Director of Operations
Mansfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

My disabled husband and I stayed at the Highcliff Marriott last weekend. This was the first time we'v visited Bournemouth and the hotel's position is absolutely perfect. It was great for my husband as we were able to get right down to the promenade and beach via the funicular railway. I had booked a wheelchair accessible room so I was a little disappointed to have to move two chairs into the corridor to get my husband's chair to the bed! (Try reading the guest profiles housekeeping!)
We ate in the bar on the first evening and as the mussels weren't available I joined my husband in ordering the salmon. The French fries didn't appear until we were halfway through the dish which was pretty dismal! Soggy stir fry and under seasoned salmon. The next night we had a room service steak burger - dreadful bread and chunky chips straight from the freezer! Good fruit plate and my husband enjoyed his brownie.
The staff were all very pleasant and efficient despite computer problems and overcharging.
We would give the hotel a return visit but next time only eat breakfast which was excellent. Particularly the freshly prepared omellet!!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jane W
HighcliffGM, General Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Jane

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for making your first trip to Bournemouth.
I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay, but I am sorry to read about a couple of things that we could have clearly done better for you.

Our accessible rooms are often used by fully mobile guests at some point during any given week, when additional furniture is often requested. You are completely correct, that this should have been removed in readiness for your visit and I am sorry that you had to do this yourself.

I was sorry to read your feedback about two really popular dishes on our menus, both of which are chosen with some frequency by our regular guests and are currently the No1 and No2 selling dishes on our room service menu. I am really sorry that your personal experience was no so positive; We have recently reduced the soy based marinade for the salmon based upon recent feedback, whilst seasoning is a personal thing, we had perhaps gone too far the other way with the batch that was prepared during your stay, this is great feedback – thank you. Our burgers buns are brioche based, supplied by a local artisan bakery and have been well received, I am sorry if this was not to your liking.
Thank you again for choosing the Highcliff and for your feedback which I have shared with our chef today. I am delighted that you intend to return to the hotel and we look forward to being able to welcome you and your husband back to Bournemouth.
Kind regards