“Good hotel with a great view”

Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel
Ranked #38 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 28 May 2014

went for a weekend and it was a great experience. The food was great too. We used the pool and the sauna and it was very relaxing.

The view is amazing from the lobby and the dining area. The beach is just a lift away.

Even their breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Have the dinner in the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Master of Ceremonies managed the whole proceedings very well so everything went very smoothly. Drinks and canapes on the lawn with the fabulous sea views made a very special start to the afternoon. The staff were well trained and efficient and handled the unusual aspects (skol) of the proceedings with humour and the meal was delicious. I would recommend this as a wedding venue.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My husband booked our stay as a belated wedding anniversay break as we have a 12 week old baby it was difficult to go away as we usually do so thought a hotel by the sea would be a nice idea! We paid what I consider a lot of money for one nights stay B&B!! I'm not one to moan and always like to see the positive so I will just write facts about our stay:
On arrival we drove round the car park and looked out on the street 4 times for a parking space, my husband went into reception and asked where we could park and was told to look on the street, he replied saying we had been round 4 times and we had a 12 week old in the car so ideally we needed a space close by due to all the parifinaliar that comes with a baby, the receptionist said there was nothing she could do and would have to keep looking!!! Concierge overheard and said we could double park and he would take our keys and move the car when a space became free! We were an hour early so didn't expect our room to be ready, which it wasn't but was told we would get a call when it was! An hour after the 3pm advertised check in we still hadn't got a call and due to the fact out baby was due a feed decided to go and see if our room was ready!! It was but no call!!
We went to our room which was a sea view room, lovely view but that's about it. Quite small, they said it was big enough for a travel cot which they provide, but it's only big enough if u block drawers or the side of ur bed so u can't get out!! The bed if you leant on moved across the room or if you sat up in bed it moved away from the wall!! Very dangerous if u forgot, especially when holding a tiny baby!!! Linen had dirty marks on. Bathrooms are tired, but overall clean.
We ordered room service as we couldn't really dine in the evening as we had to consider others with our small baby about!! The food was just average, I've had a lot better from my local pub!! I had chicken burger which was over cooked and a bit burnt!! I also ordered a glass of coke!! £6!!! Madness!!!
Breakfast was lovely and the gentleman who brought it to the room was very friendly and polite!! Great start to the day!!
Check out was 12noon, we were all packed ready to go and I was just finishing feeding our baby and dead on 12 the door knocked, it was housekeeping to see if we had left so they could clean the room!! We felt like we were being pushed out yet you can't check in until 3pm!!! We checked out and were given our car keys, went to the car park loaded from head to toe and could not find our car anywhere!! We went back in and someone finally came and went to get it for us and off we went. We then visited a friend for the day before returning home to find my husband had left his wash bag behind, no call nothing!! He called and they said they would have to get housekeeping to call the next day, they had it and sent it in the post!! Had they called when they went in the room we could have collected ur! Anyway it's turned up today and his aftershave is missing!!!!!
Overall there's nothing really wrong with the hotel but if I had have been working there I would have gone that extra mile to make my guests feel special, after all we had a new baby and it was our wedding anniversary, I'm not expecting the red carpet treatment but just a bit better service!! I love Bournemouth just came away very disappointed!! I've spent half that amount at much better hotels!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Selina S
Tony E, Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Selina S,
Thank you for your post, I am really disappointed that we have not met your expectations on this occasion. I can assure you that your experience is certainly not one that we pride ourselves on. I have fed your experience back to the teams; your comments will allow us as a hotel to ensure we continue to deliver the level of service that our guests expect from the Highcliff.
Selina S, I would really like to speak with your directly so that I am able to resolve your lost property for you and also look to welcome you back to us at the Highcliff to show you what we do deliver to our guests.
When you are free if you can contact myself directly at the hotel and it would be my pleasure to discuss this with you.
I look forward in having the opportunity to welcome you back to us in the very near future.
Yours sincerely
Tony Edwards
Director of Operations

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed here for a golf break with friends. Good room,good breakfast, and a little over pricey, but good dinner (perhaps several bottles of expensive wine pushed the price up) . Staff were all well trained and helpful. Parts of the hotel need a bit of a makeover, in the corridors and near the lift to our room, but all in all a good stay. Next time we are playing golf in Dorset I am sure we will return. The hotel is in a good location near to Bournemouth pier.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank simmo3009
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is the seventh time we have stayed at this lovely hotel, so its pretty safe to say we enjoy it.
Couple of points to thinks about if you stay there:
*Car parking can be quite tight so done take the big 4x4 - although the staff are very helpful at parking your car for you.
* if you have a side room on St Micheal road the bars across the road can get a bit lively.
*The leisure club is very good make sure you use them
* The main bar do a mean Martini
*If you get a chance go in the Thai restaurant
* the only thing that does get my back up is £15.00 for Wifi inn the rooms - oh well

Room Tip: Along the front elevation for real peace and quite choose one of the bungalows
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel has that grand Victorian seaside look about it, perched high on the cliff top over looking the sea.
The view really takes some beating, from reception through the revolving doors to a glistening blue sea.
We arrived on a Friday just after one and to our surprise our suit was ready for us which is a great bonus as you can unpack and get settled in, make the most of the weekend.
Front desk staff where efficient and polite, we were offered assistance with our luggage as the hotel has grown and is quite spread out now with additional wings.
The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The king size bed a dream to sleep in.
Our daughter had the sofa bed in the lounge and this was made up by the night staff.
There was plenty of places to relax,nice lounge areas,sea front garden, outdoor decking.
The pools are well kept a double indoor pool with jacuzzi steam room and sauna and an outdoor one with loungers and a poolside bar.
You can also get very reasonable spa treatments and there is a tennis court you can book for free with equipment provided.
The breakfast was as good as ever, even though it's buffet style it's so fresh and the range of items is great, all the traditional plus fresh fruit, meats, smoked salmon etc.
This was one of the most relaxing stays at a Marriott we have had and really didn't want to leave so we managed to get an extra night, a lovely treat.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The service here really is outstanding right from the moment you walk in to you leave. I am had a problem with a noisy fan outside my room that was disturbing me and called them at 1.30 am to see if it could be turned off. The next day they moved me, upgraded the room. The head concierge Steve Pini took personal charge of it.

The breakfast is excellent, the restaurant is a bit pricey and the portions are small, but the bar is okay for food.

Hotel is beautifully located overlooking the beach and sea.

Stayed: May 2014