“Food at the Highcliff Marriott.”

Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel
Ranked #39 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 6 August 2014

They certainly know how to cook here! Ten out of ten for the fabulous food and excellent service. The food is excellently presented and tastes divine. I have eaten in the restaurant and also the grill and they are both of the highest standard. The pools in the hotel are also excellent and they are open until ten pm at night so after a relaxing day at the beach you can enjoy a leisurely swim!

Room Tip: Ask for what you want eg I wanted a first floor room with a sea view and near a lift and stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sandra R
Tony E, Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Some great comments and real recognition for the team here at the Highcliff, it has brought a smile to their faces!
Our Head Chef Matthew Budden and his brigade work tirelessly to deliver the high quality of food that we pride ourselves on and it is clear that have met this mark from your experience.
We look forward in welcoming you back to the Grill and the Highcliff in the very near future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed at the Marriott west cliff Bournemouth this weekend with my mum and daughter and enjoyed every moment. The service was excellent, from the phone call we received before we travelled to check on room configuration to the lovely check in. Public rooms are great with super comfy sofas and chairs - just right for coffee or an afternoon tea. Lots of super nooks and crannies to chat in. Room was lovely and cool with air con with a super view. This must be the best hotel in Bournemouth .... We loved the outside pool and recliners - with the pool bar it felt just like being abroad. Can't wait to head back. Parking was fine too and if you head down to the beach between 9.00 and 6.00 you can rude the cliff lift down - perfect!!!

Room Tip: Free wifi in public spaces Rooms are quiet - I liked the in hotel ones with a view rather than cot...
3  Thank Tracey B

I love your post as it is full of top tips about the Highcliff and the local area, the hotel was built in 1873 so there is a lot of history in the building, one piece of history for the hotel is that Winston Churchill was informed he was Prime Minister during the Second World War in one of our suites………there’s lots more aswell!
Hope to see you back with us again soon at the Highcliff.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is the first time I stayed in a hotel right on the beach. It was absolutely fantastic to be able to walk from the room down to the beach. The hotel grounds were lovely.

Parking
The cottage was away from the main hotel. We were able to park our vehicle right outside of the cottage. Be sure to give front desk your tag number of vehicle. We were told we didn't have to use the parking eye kiosk.

Room
The room was clean but some of the bath towels left lint and fuzz all over the body. Our room was a cottage with a portable air conditioning unit. That A/C unit sucks. We dealt with the heat for one day because the hose was not properly attached to the wall. Someone came to check the unit and decided to open a window and stick the hose out. It leaked water on carpet and with the window been propped open for the hose a bee flew into the room!

Breakfast Buffet
Breakfast buffet is good but pancakes taste doughy sometimes. It was crowded on a Friday morning. After waiting for more than 5 minutes I was seated at a table and when I went to get my breakfast only to return to find another family sitting at my table. I had to wait with a plate of food in my hand while the waitress find me another table. I was seated at a dirty booth that had not been cleared yet. Had to wait for silverware, pot of tea, napkins and a teacup. Had to flag down different waiters to get each of those items. Me and another guest were looking for the glasses for the juice. We summoned a waitress and she came back and handed the other guest two glasses instead of bringing out a tray of glasses for all the guests. I had to wait for a glass. Spent Friday morning just waiting for things and dealing with absent-minded waitresses. It was unbelievable how inept they were. Overall, it was lovely place to stay in spite of the minor annoyances.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I have just come back from a week away at this destination and 1 word to say about this place is great!
The staff are extremely pleasant and welcoming(always looking for tips), the food at the grill is astonishing and the food in the restaurant is also tasty however not a wide range of variety. The pool is great however in hot weather it can be busy at times and not enough sun beds, on the other hand pool staff are polite, friendly and pleasant as well.
The rooms are cleaned everyday and some days we had chocolates placed on our beds and curtains closed, and the air conditioning in the room works however, we noticed when staying there that they kept turning the air conditioning off even when it was too hot.
The bad thing about this hotel for me is that I have a peanut allergy and they don't have consideration for those people who do have allergies, we ordered drinks at the bar and straight away they gave us peanuts and didn't ask if we would like them or not when the waiter went to remove the peanuts they spilt them on the table this made me feel uncomfortable as I was scared of a reaction to the peanuts.
Also on multiple occasions we went to sit down to have a drink and there was peanuts on the table which hadn't been cleaned up, the waiter came over to order our drinks but still left the table dirty, we had to specifically ask them to wipe down the table because of an allergy and they were really understanding and happy to.
Breakfast, the options and the taste of breakfast is amazing, one of the best parts there is so much on offer and you can have something different everyday. However, they also here had peanut butter out with dirty spoon on side which also had jam on and they were also serving peanut cereal, I have been to this hotel many times before and this was new to me not a good idea to keep encouraging nuts especially when nut allergies are popular.
I would finally recommend this hotel to go to but the staff do need to informed about allergies.

Room Tip: The hotel has wifi for free downstairs but in the room you are only allowed 24hours free and the res...
1  Thank 769Lily

A great post which I have shared with my team, we strive to deliver this level of service every day and your comments have certainly kept the team focused here at the Highcliff.
Over the past month I have been personally conducting refresher training for all of the relevant team members in regards to allergy awareness, this is certainly a focus for the industry at the moment and we as a hotel are passionate about making sure this aspect of our business is as strong as the others, thank you for your comments in regards to this.
We look forward in being able to welcome you back to the Highcliff very soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. Even on a corporate rate, it was not cheap. The hotel has a car park with a guest rate of £10, but I think I got the last space at 4.30. I was upgraded to a very pleasant suite and welcomed the air conditioning as it was a hot afternoon. The room was very spacious and comfortable. The view was over the car park, but the view from the main building was superb with a panoramic view of the sea and the Isle of Wight. I didn't eat at the hotel and tried out the new Marriott app to check out, with my bill being sent to me via email.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sdwoo
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Even on a corporate rate this is £200 per night. For that money I would get a great hotel and change in central London.

Most public areas are showing bad signs of wear - grubby sofas, peeling paint etc.

Rooms are a reasonable size and have most of the items you would expect for a 4* hotel, but again it looks like this hotel is in bad need of a refurb.

At this price it is very poor indeed.

Room Tip: If you don't like the heat ask for a room at the back, but you will need to forego the sea view...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank HotChilli99
Tony E, Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Kersi01,
My apologies that we have not met your expectation at the time of your visit, I can assure you we continuously review the condition of our product and up date certain areas where it is necessary.
That being said your comments do aid myself with future planned renovations.
I trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Highcliff very soon and please feel free to contact myself directly so I can personally oversee your next stay with us.
Kind regards

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Marriott, our 6th year at this hotel and we had such a great time. We can't understand why this hotel does not rate number 1 on trip advisor so we want to let everyone know that it should!! Big thank you to Rebecca Osbourne who organised everything for us perfectly and made sure our stay was totally stress free and very enjoyable. The staff could not do enough for us, good to chat to Mark, Restaurant Manager and hear all the exciting plans that the hotel has in the future. Staff to mention who go above and beyond expectional customer service are Peter on Reception, Alexis Conceirge, Housekeeping were great, At Your Service were efficient and helpful at all times and overall we couldnt fault anything. Our room was lovely and clean with a fantastic view. Breakfasts were outstanding. My partner had a wonderful birthday weekend and we cant wait to come back again soon! Big thanks to all at the Marriott. A great team. Helen Phillips and Andrew Mackay

Room Tip: 308 is a lovely room, gives a fantastic overall view of the bay.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

WOW, thank you HLPSurrey,
A great post and one that has brought smiles to the persons you have mentioned and great recognition.
We look forward in being able to welcome you back to us again at the Highcliff soon and being able to host you for your future breaks away.
Kind regards