“Absolutely fantastic”

Ranked #18 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Hook, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fantastic”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

After reading a few positive reviews about this hotel I thought I would just see for myself.
I wanted to have just a nice relaxing weekend away and thought this would be perfect as its away from the city centre.
Well, from the moment I got to reception to the time I checked out I was treated like a VIP.
The staff were all very helpful and extremely polite and were willing to just chat.
The room was very clean and tidy with more than enough room for 2 people to have somewhere to keep their belongings and to sleep.
The bed was also very comfy and unlike other hotels I have stayed in the bedding smelt fresh and clean.
The food throughout my stay was very very good and I would happily give that a 5* on all counts.
The bar/lounge area was well organised, clean and roomy.
There was a wedding reception going on on the Saturday night and all was very well organised and I even spoke to some of the guests the following day and they all said how great the evening was thanks to the more than helpful staff.
I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone, whether your a singleton such as myself or a family of 4 you would not be disappointed.
My stay was from Friday 9th August to Sunday 11th and I couldn't find a single negative thing about my stay here.
The one thing I would like to point out would be the walk to the beach. Even though it only takes about 5 minutes the hills you have to walk up and down are very steep and I helped a guy push his elderly mother in her wheel chair up the hill, so for that reason I would say this would be better suited for those without any mobility problems.
I am defiantly going to book myself in there again next year and Im just hoping that nothings changed.
A big well done and thank you to all the staff at this superb hotel.
5***** & A+

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Lee821974
rivman2008, Public Relations Manager at Riviera Hotel & Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Lee W,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on you visit to The Riviera Hotel, we value your opinion and are really happy that you experienced our wonderful service. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Riviera in 2014.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Czech first
worthing
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We got a really good priced deal for a Sunday night which included breakfast, room with a balcony and a sea view. The room was an okay size but not big enough for anything larger than a standard double bed which is a bit of a squeeze when your used to a super king! The mattress was very comfy and the room had all you needed. Be aware though the walls are thin and you can hear your neighbours! We were aware that the hotel was fairly empty yet we were surrounded by the few guests they had which was a shame noise wise.
All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful, reception explained everything to us when we checked in and service in the restaurant was very good. The dinner was good and reasonably priced with the set menu. At breakfast we were well looked after, the poached eggs were perfect and the toast appeared to be griddled which gave it a nice flavour. The bacon and sausage were a little greasy, presentation of the beans not great ( we were the last in so they had been there a while ) and no mushrooms.
The communal areas of the hotel including restaurant furnishings have all been updated recently, outside areas looked a little dated in comparison including the sauna but it worked okay.
Overall we couldn't have got better value for money in this sort of location and would definitely come back to this hotel another time

Walton on Thames
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We booked a winter 2 night, mid-week stay as part of a special deal for bed, breakfast & evening meal at a very good price.

Upon arrival at the hotel we were met by the reception staff who were very friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. Payment was made upfront and we were given a code for free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel & a parking ticket to display on the dashboard of our car which was parked in the bays at the front of the hotel. There is additional parking at the rear. We also booked our sitting times for the evening meals at this time – but there is no pressure to do so.

The hotel only has one lift, but waiting time to use it was minimal. Our room was on the 2nd floor, and was located through the twisting corridors. The room itself was quite small, but adequate for a short stay. The balcony had a sea view – which was a bonus! The bed was a standard “Double” and was very comfy. The wardrobe had plenty of hangars, tea & coffee were provided & a flat screen TV topped off the main living space.

Fresh fluffy towels were provided in the bathroom along with small sample bottles of shampoo, shower gel & soap; the heated towel rail was very well received. The bath, basin, toilet & shower curtain were all well cleaned. Toilet roll was plentiful.

The evening meal in the restaurant was very good. Three courses, with four choices for each course all individually cooked and very well presented – very tasty. Breakfast was a buffet affair with a choice of cereals, yogurts, pastries, tea, coffee, juices and of course the cooked breakfast – all very filling. The serving staff were all very polite & attentive.

Our stay also included use of the leisure facilities. In the basement is a small (but just big enough to swim lengths) swimming pool, Jacuzzi & sauna. Reception will hand out towels to use free of charge, when finished leave them in the wash bins by the pool. The changing facilities are a little restricted, we found that it was a good idea to walk down in t-shirt, shorts & flip flops to save fussing around. There are lockers by the pool, have a £1 coin (returnable) ready. There is no lifeguard present, but the area is monitored by CCTV.

The hotel was relatively quiet (time of the year) but there were two coach parties of older guests staying for the week. They tended to be out on trips for most of the day, eat dinner early before being entertained by a singer or taking part in a quiz in the bar/lounge. We were lucky enough to find a “Jazz Club” taking place on the Wednesday night (quite regular) in the separate function suite which was free entry to hotel guests. Drinks prices throughout the hotel were reasonable.

The location of the hotel was ideal for us. It is in a quiet residential/bed & breakfast area on top of the cliffs away from the shops & town. It is only a short walk down to the beach & the chines, but of course up a steep hill on the way back! A walk to the pier is just right to blow away the cobwebs and will take about 30 - 40 minutes for a leisurely stroll.

Would we go back? Yes without a doubt, this was our 3rd stay. It was quiet, but that is its charm. At 50 years of age, we were the youngest guests by a long way on this occasion but on our previous stays (especially the “Twixmas” breaks) the cliental is right across the board.

Harrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed here in September 2013 for 4 nights midweek. On arrival, was upgraded to a better room when the receptionist saw us with baby buggy, as the original room apparently had lots of steps to get to. New room had balcony and a (distant) view of the sea which was a pleasant bonus. Hotel is in a really good location for walks along the lovely beach, etc. Baby boy enjoyed the indoor pool. What really makes this hotel though are the helpful / friendly staff - been a long time since I've been somewhere where the hotel team is so attentive / willing to help. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Christchurch
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I live in Bournemouth but for reasons I will not go into I had to book somewhere to stay locally for 3 nights. The look of the place is rather old-fashioned but the atmosphere is very homely, the staff are pleasant and the rooms are decent to very good. There is an indoor swimming pool in the basement and a jacuzzi. I only had supper there once and the food was fine. I would say excellent because the vegetables were the best I think I have ever had in a restaurant and the pudding was fantastic but the steak I had was ok by quality but seemed to have been steamed and then deep fried as it was all soft on the inside and a uniform golden brown on the outside! It didn't really matter because I wasn't there for the food and anyway there are plenty of restaurants nearby.

I definitely would go again and in fact sent surplus family there for 4 nights the other week.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view go for the second floor as the sea view is more restricted on the first.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Just returned today from another excellent stay at The Riviera. Lovely room onthe first floor, sea view and balcony and could not have wished for better weather.

Mr Gould and his staff are always welcoming and friendly and couldnt do enough for you and I did enjoy him being our wine waiter a couple of times.

Food was once again excellent, particularly enjoyed the Mackerel starter and the Duck main. Thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment in the bar last night (Wednesday).

We will be returning next year and look forward to seeing the familiar faces.

Room Tip: Get a sea view and balcony room, worth it for a little bit extra.
Southampton
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We have recently returned from a two night stay in one of the superior holiday apartments at the Rivera hotel, and we were really impressed. We booked an apartment as we needed the space and privacy as we have two dogs. The apartments have their own entrance on the next road along from the hotel. This was ideal as we don't like staying in hotels where you have to walk the dogs through a reception area. The apartment was spacious and clean and had everything we needed. We didn't really use the kitchen but it was very well equipped. The apartment was very warm and tastefully decorated with a huge flatscreen TV and DVD player. Our only criticism was that the double bed was not of a great quality but we walked so much we slept well :-) We will definitely be back and stay longer next time!