“Russell Court is an average Bournemouth hotel - dated and a bit worn”

Russell Court Hotel
Ranked #120 of 134 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I booked a double room without breakfast through laterooms.com for £35 on the day that I needed it. The hotel is located very conveniently near the beach, pier, park and local attractions. The hotel itself is a bit dated - much like all the hotels in Bournemouth so don't be too surprised at this! We arrived late at about 11.30pm and the hotel receptionist seemed quite flustered as he was by himself. We had to pay £5 to park our car in the car park which seemed a bit cheeky really but we paid anyway.

When we got to our bedroom the lights weren't working so we had to trundle back down to the receptionist and get another room - this flustered him even more! He took us to a large family suite which was incredible dated and in need of a good clean. Stains on the carpet, torn wallpaper and the tiniest, crappiest, tv I've ever seen in my life. The suite was made up of a 2 bedrooms, the first with 1 single bed which led into the bathroom - decent size and clean, and also led into the master bedroom with 1 double bed, chairs and a table and tea and coffee making facitilies. What struck me as odd was that there was no door between the 2 bedrooms - the door had been taken off...

Overall the hotel is ok for a short stay and cheap if you go through laterooms and need a room quickly. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel - you can visit any of the nearby pubs or cafes for a far cheaper breakfast if you want to save money! Also avoid using the hotel lift/evevator as it's barely big enough for 1 person - seriously.

I'd give this hotel a 6/10 as we were only staying for 1 night and I've stayed in a lot of hotels in Bournemouth and they're all pretty much the same - dated, crappy and in need of renovation.

Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed for one night at the Russell Court and found it combined good value for money, with an excellent location. The hotel's main asset is the staff, They were all friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 29 August 2011

stayed at russell court for a weekend stay, we found it to be in a great location and the hotel itself was very clean and the room was well equipped, the staff there were very friendly and the best part was the food we had breakfast and evening meal and it was delicious, we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: we paid a little extra for a nice sea view room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2011

A single room was booked for 40GBP so it wasn't a lot and the staff actually gave me a double room with a single bed in it, which was nice.

The TV was wall-mounted and could be swivelled so that whichever bed you were in you could point it towards. The remote didn't work but I got it going by using the TV buttons on the top of the TV, which I could only adjust if I stood on a chair to reach. The single bed had lovely crisp sheets but was not very comfortable. I probably should have tried the double bed but having got into the single it felt wrong to use both beds and the top bed cover on the double bed just didn't look very clean. The mattress was quite hard and felt cheap but the double bed may have been much better, I don't know. There were tea and coffee making facilities and a very clean bathroom so it wasn't all bad for a single night. The carpets were really quite stained which didn't look very nice and I don't think I'd choose to stay there again as I've spent far more comfortable nights in other hotels on my trip.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I was slightly surprised that they took the money from my bank account on the day of booking, then when we arrived they charged me a further £10 per night to upgrade to a "superior" double room because they only had "grotty" twin rooms left! I wasn't able to view the grotty room before deciding what to do and was pressed to decide while he tried to flatter us to get around us; this felt a bit like an underhanded scam although I'm not sure it was intentional. On top of this the car parking was £5 per night; this was all money that were an extra cost but felt we'd no choice.
On a brighter note the room itself was clean and ok for the price but we failed to see why it was "superior". The bathroom was really nice and clean. We were offered breakfast at £10 per night but declined and went to the Oceanarium Cafe instead each morning for a lovely breakfast, much better value for money!

Room Tip: It was generally pleasant but only worth what we paid via Laterooms (apparent saving £251!)
1  Thank NCC78
Reviewed 22 August 2011

My wife and myself stayed at this hotel for two nights.
For the two-night stay we paid £259, plus £6.48 extra booking fee for using a credit card over the internet.
We had to pay £10 extra to park our car in their car park for two days.
We paid £9.95 each for breakfast on each of the two days.
Room - basic, compact.
This is the only hotel I have ever stayed at where there was no shampoo and shower gel provided. There were bars of soap. No bath, only shower.

The £9.85 vegetarian breakfast comprised of 1 veggie sausage, 1 egg, 1 hash brown and half a grilled tomato. Could have had beans but declined. Toast. Cereal if you wanted it. Fruit juice. Fruit was on the menu but there wasn't any. Very poor value for £9.95 but what there was of it was good.

It was unfortunate that I felt that all that the hotel was interested in was my money, not the quality of my stay. I asked if we could have mushrooms included in the breakfast only to be told "if it is not on the menu you will have to pay extra."

I think the cost was inflated due to that weekend being the Bournemouth Air Show - something I didn't realise at the time of booking. There were few rooms available in Bournemouth when I booked the room.

The overall impression of the hotel is that it is somewhat run down and in need of a "lick of paint". The carpet in the room was stained, the shower cubicle leaked slightly, the plumbing was typical B&B quality - the shower trickled water rather than powered it out.

Having said that, I guess it was reasonably clean and the staff were quite friendly.

I would not choose to stay at this hotel again.

3  Thank JimDuggan3655
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I wasn't expecting it to be very good as it only had two stars. However, it was a pleasant surprise. The hotel was very clean, comfortable and the decor was excellent. Particularly the lounge and dance area - it was obvious a lot of effort had been put into this hotel. The staff .were very friendly, courteous and interested in customer care. I had stayed at the four star hotel next door earlier in March (for a treat).it was seriously bad and they couldn't have cared less! This hotel was far superior in every way! Well done for caring about the customer, we would certainly choose this hotel again!