“Excellent Hotel with warm welcoming and helpful staff”
Review of Elstead Hotel

Elstead Hotel
Ranked #20 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel and would be more than happy to recommend it to anyone thinking of staying in Bournemouth, so much so that I have every intention of staying again next year.
The room was spotless and large enough for me and was en suite.
The Breakfast was amazingly good value and lots of it
All the Staff were charming helpful always smiling and a pleasure to see, nothing was to much trouble, a smile, a wave, made you feel very welcome.
I only used the pool, but it was clean a good size and changing room fitted its purpose.
I tasted the delights of the evening meal, and my steak was cooked exactly as i had asked it to
be, the bar meals were also very good.
I cannot find a fault with the hotel its within walking distance of train/bus station and the beach all of which was important to me.
My only regret is that my stay wasnt longer
Well done Elsrtead I had a lovely time

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Graham P, General Manager at Elstead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Dear Val, Thank you for posting a great 5 star review. I am always delighted to be given praise about our staff and they are always grateful for the feedback. Thank you agin and I hope you will be returning to The Elstead Hotel in the not too distant future. Regards, Graham

Reviewed 11 September 2012

I am just back from a last minute trip to Bournemouth and stayed here for 4 nights. I had a warm welcome, a lovely large room, and a great British breakfast (what a treat!). The pool was also a nice size for a dip to build up your appetite!
The hotel had a lovely relaxed feeling and was a good location, just a walk from station, park and both ends of the beach resort.
I also want to say a big thank to the manager for taking time out of a busy day to chat and give me lots of local recommendations. I hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

Dear Suzi, Thank you for your great comments on Tripadvisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and it was a pleasure to have met you and toh chat to a fellow Scot! Hope to see you back again, Regards Graham

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Stayed there for 5 nights in a double room. Although the room was very clean, it was tiny - no chairs to sit down or to store the case properly. Bed also very uncomfortable. The room was completely overlooked by other rooms so care need regarding privacy issues. View from the room was awful - other rooms and the chimneys from the kitchen. Toilet in the bathroom kept running and the soap dispensers were mixed up. Apart from the room, the rest of the stay was good. Public rooms were spacious and relaxing. Breakfast was plentiful and nicely cooked with good service. The bar meals were also very good value with good service. Evening meals are pricey so only tried once but pretty good, if not stunning. Location of the hotel is good and 10-15 minutes walk to Bournemouth town centre, Boscombe or the beaches. Service was friendly overall.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Robert and Kazuko, Thank you for taking the trouble to post a review. You have made some constructive points regarding the room which we have looked into thoroughly and glad to say we have already made some improvements. Thank you for your other kind remarks and we hope to see you back at The Elstead. Regards, Graham

Reviewed 2 September 2012

I have seen reviews in here which say the décor in the Elstead looks tired. This is totally unfair as that suggests peeling wallpaper and chipped paint. In fact nothing could be further from the truth as much of the hotel looks to have been recently decorated. It could be said that the style is dated and yes, the front of the hotel is pure 1970s (though in pristine condition) and the rooms are reminiscent of Laura Ashley at her less "twee". A lot of hotels try to be retro and fail. The Elstead does it with grace and without trying.

One thing that is very 21st Century was the bathroom. The fittings were very much up to date and my shower cubicle was huge compared to most hotels. I had a single room which was small, but not so small as to be pokey. It was light and airy and the bed was firm and comfortable. I'm not used to a single bed, but I slept like a log.

Overall both the room and the public areas of the hotel were spotless. Others have commented on the staff and I felt that everyone working at the hotel wanted to be as helpful as possible without being intrusive and all with a smile.

The breakfast is a treat. Plenty of selection. The fruit on offer is nice and fresh and the full English is very full if you choose. I had a bar snack and that was equally good with salad so fresh it snapped. I'm sorry I didn't get chance to have dinner in the dining room, but I will next time.

All in all a first class hotel. If I have to find something to carp about my bath towel was a little small, but then I'm a big bloke and there's a lot of me to dry.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank PaulUK1957

Dear Paul, Thank you for posting a great 5 star review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to share your experiences. I hope to see you back at The Elstead again. Kind regards, Graham

Reviewed 26 August 2012

My sister and I and 4 children aged 7 to 14 stayed at the Elstead Hotel in August. We had a lovely time. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our rooms were clean and comfy. The food was plentiful and tasty. Best of all we loved the pool. This hotel is good value for money and I would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Charlotte, Thank you for staying at The Elstead and taking the trouble to review the Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the children enjoyed the pool. I hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you again soon. Regards, Graham

Reviewed 24 August 2012

This hotel is very conveniently located a 5 minute walk from the train station and a 15-20 minute stroll down to the beach. We stayed here for one night and found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable (squeaky beds and floor boards) but decor was dated and the bathroom was clean however, the shower had no pressure whatsoever. A visit to the on site leisure club and the whirlpool didn't work while the pool had an unusual musty smell!! On the plus side, breakfast was amazing with a wide variety to choose from, including "fried bread" which is a rarity!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Reshika, Thank you for taking the trouble to review us. I am pleased to say that the whirlpool is back in working order and we have resolved the musty smell issue. We hope to see you again soon. Regards Graham

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Needed a one night stay for me and my 5 yr old daughter I wanted comfort, cozyness, clean, not run down, character, good food, good location, all I can say is as soon as I got through the front door I was blown away by the SERVICE of the lady (sorry I forgot your name) she was outstanding and I've done Vegas, Miami and new York hotels she was so good it was unreal! Hit all our markers and it also had a really good indoor swimming pool! Will def stay here again! You can't put a price on good service and good people.

Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Damian W

Dear Damian, Thank you for your great comments and delighted that you had wonderful service. We have a wonderful reception team and glad that was demonstrated with your arrival. We hope you will be back, Regards Graham