“easy and pleasant hotel in bournemouth”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Elstead Hotel

Elstead Hotel
Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Yeovil, United Kingdom
“easy and pleasant hotel in bournemouth”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Just spent four nights at the Elstead (August 2013) and everything was convenient and friendly. Switched us a the first night to accommodate my friend's poor mobility and thereafter moved us in to a disabled room which was spacious and light and roomy. Breakfast great choice and restaurant staff helpful. Had dinner a couple of nights too and this was good food and good value. Drinks expensive - but going rate I guess.
Lovely pool - decent size for a hotel pool. Did 50 lengths each morning before breakfast. Towels provided and all very clean and efficient. Nice to be away from the crowds on this quiet and pleasant street but within easy striking distance of the beach and all the action!
Would go again and recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't worry about being on the front overlooking the street/carpark - it's quiet and the roa...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
GrahamPhillips, General Manager at Elstead Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Amanda
Thank you for your review and we are very pleased that we awere able to change your room to suit your needs. We are all impressed that you managed 50 lengths before breakfast. Regards
Graham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

This is a lovely hotel and the staff do it credit. It does, however, need bringing into the 21st century. They really need to update the furniture and decor, throw away the blankets and splash out on decent mattresses, pillows and duvets. The waiting staff cannot do enough to please but they also need to throw away the hot plate. A hotel of this size should be able to provide cooked to order breakfasts. They should also provide a better selection of fresh fruit, the only fresh fruit available was melon, the oranges and grapefruit were both tinned. The leisure complex is very good as we're the staff in there. Again a lovely place with so much potential.

2 Thank 659pippin
GrahamPhillips, General Manager at Elstead Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear Pippin
Thank you for your review and for your constructive comments. I have noted your negative points which we intend to act upon and hope you will return again.
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Spent 2 nights in this hotel, found it had a very relaxing atmosphere. I had booked a double room for myself and my teenaged daughter, and on arrival the receptionist offered to check if there were any twin bedded rooms available - we had booked last minute - which we appreciated. As it happened the hotel was full so no swaps were available, clearly a popular hotel.
The room (303) was clean and bright with tasteful, if slightly dated, decor and a shiny clean ensuite bathroom. Situated in a fairly quiet road, there was no noise at night time - we heard nothing from neighbouring rooms other than the occasional door opening/shutting. Our only negative comment was that the mattress on the bed was uncomfortable...you could feel the springs through the bedding, and we would have preferred duvets to the blankets, sheets and bedspread which Elstead Hotel uses. We mentioned this on checking out and our comments were noted.
There was plenty of choice for the self-service breakfast, it was also relaxed and unhurried. Elstead Hotel was also well located for walks to either the beach or the town centre.
We enjoyed using the pool facilities during the evening, though the pool was smaller than it looks on the website, we were fortunate to have it to ourselves for some of the time! It could have done with being a bit warmer, we swam in the evening and the pool felt cold. We didn't use the gym equipment as the area was busy and looked a bit too cramped.
All in all it was an enjoyable stay.

2 Thank Lee T
Dear Lee
Thank you for your great comments on this site and for your detailed response. I noted your constructive comments regarding the bed and so I checked it myself. I was very horrified to discover how uncomfortable it was. I immediately arranged for a new bed to be delivered so thank you for letting us know and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

I stay at this hotel regularly and I can say that it is a pleasure to keep returning.

The hotel staff are all really friendly and honestly cannot do enough for you. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I intend to stay here on every visit to Bournemouth.

I cannot comment on the Spa as I have not personally used this but understand from my colleagues that this is also excellent.

Thank you Elstead you restore my faith in customer service :-).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Alison H
Dear Alison,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on Tripadvisor and we are delighted that you choose the Elstead for your regular stays in Bournemouth. We look forward to seeing you back here soon.
St Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

This was our 5th maybe 6th visit to the Elstead and what a great time we had! We love this hotel. As a family of four, it ticks all our boxes, good value, good food and a great indoor pool/gym for those days when the weather not good enough for the beach. Our kids love staying here! We had a family room which is plenty big enough for the four of us. Room cleaned very well everyday. All the staff are very friendly and helpful and remember us which is really nice. Nothing too much trouble. Would thoroughly recommend. Can't think of anything negative to say except maybe could do with a bit of a re-furb in the the dining room, but this doesn't bother us in anyway, also my kids have just mentioned that quilts would be nice instead of blankets and sheets! But this won't stop up returning very soon!

1 Thank Paula G
Dear Paula
We are delighted that you have become such good regulars to The Elstead and hope you have many more visits. We have noted your comment about duvets and will be replacing the blankets with duvets in the rooms soon and hope fully they will be in place for your next visit. Thank you for your fantastic review.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Well what can I say about this gem of a hotel:

Room stunning and out of this world. Staff fantastic and knowledge top class.

Heather and the team helped me arrange a surprise trip for my parents and went above and beyond to make the stay a pleasant one.

I'm going back again in October for my 7th stay and can't wait to return. The journey is a long one for me to make and I get anxious about new places but this hotel feels like a home from home.

I know that when I arrive there will be a friendly smile on the reception desk.

The food is amazing as well and after a hectic day they h

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim2784
Dear Jim,
Thank you for your great review and we are delighted that you are coming back in October for your seventh stay.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

This was a last minute decision for me to travel to Bournemouth from Glasgow. I flew from Glasgow International to Southampton, flying time 80 minutes. When I came from the airport the train station to Bournemouth was right there and the train came within minutes. A forty minute journey to Bournemouth travel central and a five minute walk to my hotel. Bonus. I was met by Heather at reception who made me feel very welcome and I did appreciate that as a solo traveller. The breakfast was amazing and the single room, although small, met all of my needs. The waiting staff in the restaurant are all exceptionally efficient and attended to all my requests. I only had one disappointment at breakfast and that was the fresh melon had been cut too close to the rind and this put me off. I didn't enjoy chewing on what was a delicious sweet fruit. Perhaps melon balls would be a way to avoid this. The eggs were perfect. The pool and spa area very clean and well air conditioned. The night porters and domestic staff very friendly and accommodating. I respond to these things as a solo traveller as it is important to feel confident and comfortable whilst away from home. I will be making this my annual stop. It is so handy for all around the area and travelling a dawdle

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LouiseG52013
GrahamPhillips, General Manager at Elstead Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Louise
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is gratifying to know that every aspect of your stay met with your approval and your comments have been passed on to the team, especially Heather. I note that you will be returning to us again and we will ensure that you are given a larger room.
Kind regards