“Well looked after and good facilities”
Review of Elstead Hotel

Elstead Hotel
Ranked #20 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 25 December 2013

My room was upgraded from a singe to a double for free. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The food was good. It was nice to have a decent size pool, and gym facilities were good. Would recommend

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stayed her just after the kids summer holiday mid September and I have to say I am surprised at all the good reviews on this place! My mum originally saw an advert for a special offer offering rooms at £15 per night and suggested us taking our 2 small children, however on trying to book we found that the £15 offer night didn't really seem to exist and my mum (without telling me) booked us two rooms at £140 per room per night. I honestly have no idea how this hotel get away with charging £140 per night, ive stayed in some really luxury boutique hotels in the centre of London for less!

The hotel is in an ok location, but the hotel itself is very very dated, but whilst dated it is very clean and furniture/carpets etc seem quite new. The rooms are a good size but the shower in our bathroom was rubbish and one thing I like is a good powerful shower especially when im paying £140 a night! Another big gripe is the size of the TVs in the room they are teeny tiny and as the rooms are so big when your sat on the bed the TV is way to far away and so small you cant possibly watch anything!

We stayed in the hotel one night for dinner it was 3 courses for £15 and this was good, we enjoyed our meal and the restaurant staff were nice and helpful. Breakfast was ok, good selection but the hot cooked breakfast was only luke warm.

We didn't find the youngish chap on reception very friendly or helpful, he always looked like he had the hump, never smiled and when we asked him for suggestions for dinner he said he didn't know anywhere, then he said "oh yeah there is an Italian place that supposed to be good but I cant remember where it is or the name"

Also on our 2nd night (being a Saturday) at around 8.30pm loud music came on, we called reception many times but no one answered, so I called from an outside line and someone answered, im guessing they were avoiding guests complaints about the music! We were told they had a function on and the music would go off about 11pm, I said "I have 2 babies here trying to sleep and I should have been informed of this when I booked" I was told they would ask for the music to be turned down a little which did happen but it was still disturbing and it was turned off at 11pm but I really thing this hotel should be warning guests when they have a function on before they make their booking.

The pool area is nice and very warm, but the pool water is a little too cold for me, the kids enjoyed it but our 1yr old got too cold and I had to take her out after 10 minutes.

All in we were disappointed for the money we had paid!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I stayed with my husband at this hotel for two nights in November 2013.

We were lucky to be able to check-in around 12:30 and though the young chap on reception was friendly enough we felt he could have been a little more welcoming, he rather just went through the motions, robotic-like. That said, when we spoke to him on subsequent occasions he seemed a little more 'human' (maybe he was re-booted by the manager or something!)

The hotel and room was like, to be fair, going back a few decades but that might be because we are used to more contemporary hotels. Don't let this (or the crickety old stair case!) put you off. Okay, the decor could do with updating, the TV was a little on the small size (which was not important to us as we were out and about for most of us visit) but what you do get is a lovely clean room and a nice-sized bathroom with great facilities such as the swimming pool and spa/sauna, which was really very good. The breakfast, I have to say was *superb* - we had the full English buffet-style all-you-can eat which set us up for both days. We only ate at the restaurant once of an evening and the meal we had was exceptional too - great attentive service from our male waiter on (30-Nov) who did a great job and made us feel like we were at a higher star hotel than what it was!

So, all in all, a great trip, fab location and good value for money this hotel is definitely recommended! Just a few quid spent on the decor would easily give it a full TripAdvisor 5*! :)

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel's decor is dated but if you accept that the rest of it is fantastic. The staff are really polite and incredibly helpful, I'd informed them that I couldn't eat gluten when booking and even at a friend's party for 60 people they gave me the correct food and had bought in gluten free rolls. The bedroom we had was spotless including the bathroom. The hotel is a ten minute walk into town and the same to the cliff tops. There is free parking and if the car park is full you can park out on the street. We would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 November 2013

My company Exemplo Training Solutions Ltd have just come back from an overnight stay here where we used the hotel as a training venue. We teach customer service and this hotel could teach others a few things. The staff are a credit to Graham the manager, they just could not do enough for us or our clients. The bedrooms we had were very clean, warm and comfy. Breakfast was huge and again the staff were very attentive. The room used for our training course was large, light and again had everything we required. Graham and his staff always made sure that they were available if we needed for anything.
If we are ever in this area again, and I'm sure we will be, this is the hotel of choice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The hotel is what it is for the price you pay. Close to the station, clean and a good breakfast. The bad things were paper thin walls, lack of choice and timing for room service and not near town or seafront.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I joined a group of family members at this hotel for an occasion in mid November 2013 and not knowing anything of the Elstead Hotel, was unsure of what to expect.
I am delighted to report that this warm pleasant hotel met and far exceeded my expectations; and I am a fussy person to please.

Set in it's own grounds in a quiet tree lined road, my front facing room (111) experienced little traffic noise even with the window open all night.

If you are not mobility impaired, it's within pleasant walking distance of the beach, coastal cliffs, town centre, pier, and the railway station. The hotel is easily located, had sufficient free car parking & a bus stops nearby.

I booked a single but was freely upgraded to a double room with a good sized en-suite bathroom with clean fresh towels and expected toiletries. The main room radiator could be controlled individually and the room window opened widely. A comfortable new double bed, crisp white sheets & pillow cases, a warm, snuggly camel coloured blanket (additional pillows and blankets were available where needed) gave me a lovely sleep experience.

The well stocked hospitality tray had tea, coffee (full & decaf:) and good quality biscuits. Room service menu was available with a minimal additional service charge.

Free WiFi throughout the hotel - land line telphone from the room - an in-built iron/ ironing board and trouser press; hairdryer etc: The room 'housekeeping care' was impeccable and anything additional you wished for could be ordered via a quick and courteous phone call to reception.

I dined each evening at the hotel and the expreince was 'silver service'. Food arrived quickly, served by professional, well trained, friendly and observant staff. I got the impression that every member of staff throuhgout the hotel cared well for their guests.

The evening menu was broad, and hot meals served hot, on hot plates. Puds were scrumptious ( lashings of additional custard was willingly brought for my yummy apple crumble). A good wine list was on offer too. The bar menu was fairly extensive; as was the buffet breakfast - fruits, juices, cerials, cakes - and hot plates for the hot food, a good selection of entries and as many refills of pots of tea & coffee (and hot chocolate at breakfast) as required.

The Hotel has a reasonable sized swimming pool, sauna, steam room and gym all included - open between 7am and 10pm, there's enough time for guests to suit themselves. A slight disappointment for me was that the steam room was temporarily out of action: but every other facility was in good order and nothing was crowded.

All in all I had an excellent stay and have been well looked after by skilled staff who care for their hotel and for their guests.

If you are looking for 4 star care at a 3 star price, this is 'the' hotel in which to base yourself for all occasions; for the coast, for the New Forest, for shopping in small market towns, for a quite romantic break or for business. From my experience, this hotel will serve you well and you can look forward to good wholsesome fresh food, careful cleanilness and friendly courteous staff who will make your stay a worth while experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family