“Great stay in Bournemouth”
Review of Elstead Hotel

Elstead Hotel
Ranked #20 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Great value, clean and friendly staff. As previous reviewers comment the friendly staff really make this hotel. We went for the great value dinner, bed and breakfast rate and didn't know what to expect but the food was first rate. Well done!

Room Tip: If you book direct with the hotel they will give you a room upgrade.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GrahamPhillips, General Manager at Elstead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Rosie
Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back at The Elstead in the near future. Regards Graham

There are newer reviews for Elstead Hotel

Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Having decided to go to Bournemouth for the weekend, my friend and I had a look online for some reasonably priced hotel. We were a little apprehensive about this place as the price seemed too cheap - however we were not disappointed. Other reviews say that the place is "dated" - I didn't find that at all. Okay the carpets have a bit of wear in them in the main areas and the stairs, not to mention the creeky floorboards, but this isn't the Ritz and they do not charge Ritz prices accordingly.

All of the staff were helpful and friendly. One guy in particular, (Scottish) Malcolm was a breath of fresh air and it was great talking to him - he made us feel extremely welcome. Considering he had only just started and appeared like he was thrown in at the deep end, he done very well!

Stayed in Room 107. Good sized room. Had an iron and trouser press fixed to the wall. It wasn't the greatest but done the job. The curtains shut out all light.

The only downside was at 9:20am the gardener decided to turn on his handheld leaf blower!!! After getting in and going to bed at 6am, this was not welcomed and totally unnecessary for that time!

The facilities are good. Ample machines at the gym and a nice little pool.

The Elstead is in a very good location - walking distance to town (although we did get a taxi which cost about £3.50). If you're looking for bars, they're all along Old Christchurch Road. If you like Chinese food you MUST visit "Days" Chinese restaurant. :O. Oh my god!

Should I ever visit Bournemouth again, I'll stay at the Elstead, without a doubt!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
GrahamPhillips, General Manager at Elstead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Romeo
Thank you for taking the trouble of posting a review. I am sorry the gardener started so early in the morning at 9.20am, however sometimes it is the only time he can tidy the gardens whilst the car park is free of cars and we mistakenly thought everyone would be awake! I am pleased that you found Malcolm welcoming and I will make sure he is aware of your comments.
Regards
Graham

Reviewed 5 March 2014

There are references among these reviews to the hotel being a little faded. Well, I suppose in a few respects it is, but this is easily outweighed by the up sides. The bed was comfortable with clean sheets (sheets! bliss!). The food was hot, plentiful and tasty and my evening meal was served quickly, which is always good. The staff were unfailingly polite, welcoming, attentive, friendly and had a sense of humour. I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Barry22260

Dear Barriy
Thank you for your response and especially for your kind comments. I note you would stay again so hope to welcome you back. Regards Graham

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I recently chose to stay at The Elstead for my study at Bournemouth University; I stayed for two nights and mainly picked it for a good balance between price, location and facilities. The stay was good, the breakfast was ok and to have a swimming pool/spa for this price is good value, although the facilities are very worn and very dated. This is illustrated by the green plastic furniture in the steam room! The hotel was generally quiet, but unfortunately the person above me was particularly noisy in the early hours on both nights, I suspect a shift worker! If you plan to watch any tv I’d choose another hotel, as the room only has a tiny, maybe 14” screen. Overall I would stay again, for the same reasons I chose it in the first place, good value and location – but it wouldn’t take much effort to improve it. One thing I would like to add, the staff were exceptionally good and helped with every request I made and were always friendly.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Slee10
Thank you for your review. I agree with your comments that some areas of the hotel are dated and the good news is that we are carrying out extensive redocaration in these areas over the next few weeks. Regards Graham

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Spent a two night stay here with our two grandsons in a family room and enjoyed our stay...the staff were very good and all we asked for they did with a smile..one night our youngest grandson did not like the meal he had ordered which was the chilli which i note another reviewer had mentioned .. and as we had finnised ours by the time his second meal was ready they gave him room service which he thought was great..my only slight complaint would be the pool area which i think could do with a make over and be a bit warmer, also they had private functions on both nights and the the music was a bit loud..but this aside we would come again ...

Room Tip: higher floors less noisey
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear David
Thank you for taking the trouble of posting a review. I am delighted that you found the Elstead to your satisfaction and hope to welcome you back in the near future. Regards Graham

Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night with partner. Lovely hotel with good facilities. Take full advantage of pool but it is shared with non hotel guests. I had 11yr boy with grandma walk in while getting changed?
Breakfast is faultless and my other half was very impressed!
I found the heating bit too much so slept with windows open to cool down but iam used to a Victorian house. Will recommend to anyone staying in Bournemouth.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Cat-turtle
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you were interrupted whilst getting changed in the Leisure Club and hope it didn't deter you from enjoying your stay. Regards Graham

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed here one night for a mini break with husband.Very welcoming staff a basic but very clean room and the best breakfast I have had in a long time.Slighty longer from the beach than previous hotels we had stayed at here, I would say a 15min walk but if your feeling lazy you could walk down. The hotel has a really fab gym and heated pool area with a sauna and steam room at £45 a night with breakfast it was really good value for money

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Floridamad
Thank you for your Tripadvisor report and lovely compliments. In particular, I note you enjoyed the breakfast as we are proud of our large range of hot buffet. We hope to see you back at The Elstead soon. Regards Graham