“A hotel full of character. Well worth a visit!”
Review of Elstead Hotel

Elstead Hotel
Ranked #20 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I have been working in Bournemouth for the past 3 months and initially stayed in a variety of hotels in the area until I found the Elstead. The staff are fantastic and really go the extra mile. The hotel is clean, the food is excellent and the prices are extremely reasonable. The gym is well equipped and well maintained. I would certainly recommend the hotel to other potential guests.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
GrahamPhillips, General Manager at Elstead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear James
Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor and I am delighted that you are enjoying your stay at The Elstead. I see from your report that you are often away from home for long periods on business so we understand the need for that extra attention to try to make your stay feel like home from home. Thank you again. Regards Graham

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We have just come back from a two night stay at Elstead Hotel. We were very impressed from the outset - we had dinner in the hotel on our first night and it was very good indeed - silver service with very efficient waiters. We then went into the hotel bar which had music and was very comfortable. The breakfast is also very good.

The rooms are spotlessly clean and the bathrooms are lovely - tea and coffee making facilities in the room with biscuits. A special mention to James who worked in the bar and looked after us so well and could not do enough for us and to Malcolm for all his help.

The only downside is that the hotel is approx a 20 minute walk to the centre of town - although you can always get a No 1a bus.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rosehanna
GrahamPhillips, General Manager at Elstead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Rosehanna
Thank you for your kind response. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your comments to the members of our team that you mentioned. Regards Graham

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Just returned from the elstead where we went to celebrate my 50th birthday. Lovely spotlessly clean hotel with gorgeous food and very attentive staff. Breakfast was served buffet style with a huge choice and everything cooked to perfection.The waitresses were very good at their job, and had obviously been well trained. On my birthday we had dinner at the hotel which was excellent with very good food and exceptional value at just 39.00 for two with a bottle of wine! unbelievable. Again the waiter on that evening was excellent and a real credit to the hotel, made everything really special. We only had a minor problem, which really wasn t the fault of the hotel, but on the second night we were woken at 2 15 in the morning by two very rowdy men who were staying in the room above us,they clearly had no consideration for other guests and continued to be very noisy for the next hour. however on reporting this to reception next morning we were offered a room in another part of the hotel, (WHICH WAS AMAZING) and the hotel receptionist was very sorry for what had happened, and said that she would speak to them as a matter of urgency. Please do not let this put you off however, as I am sure that this sort of thing doesn t happen that often and it would be a shame to mark this hotel down because of it. Go and enjoy.

Room Tip: Ask for room in newer part of hotel no sqeaky floorboards!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Catherine
Thank you for your great review. I am pleased that you found our dinner good value. Our special offer of Wine and Dine for Thirty Nine is very popular and includes dinner for two together with a bottle of wine. I do apologise for the noise from the unruly guests and glad that our reception team were on hand to solve the situation. We hope to see you back at The Elstead Hotel. Regards Graham

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed at the Elstead, the staff were friendly & helpful. The hotel clean & the room was superb. There was a mini refrigerator in the room which was handy & the tea/coffee biscuits were replenished daily. The only minor niggle was the pillows were extremely flat but I guess this is more of a personal preference. The breakfast was superb with plenty of fruit/cereals/cooked breakfast & toast on offer for you to help yourself. If you prefer a poached egg/kipper/porridge this could also be accommodated by request. We used the leisure facilities & the only disappointment was the jacuzzi which felt quite cool so we opted for the sauna & steam room instead. The hotel is approximately 10-15 min walk from the beach which we didn't mind as we really enjoyed the exercise & helped walk our breakfast off!. At the end of our visit I unfortunately left an expensive orthodontic aid behind, but the staff were wonderful when we called they found it & immediately posted it to me. Great place, good value for money. We would definitely return.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Dawn
Thank you for taking the trouble to post a review and your kind comments have been circulated around the team here at The Elstead. I am pleased that we were able to resolve the situation regarding the lost property and we hope to see you back soon. Regards Graham

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Great value, clean and friendly staff. As previous reviewers comment the friendly staff really make this hotel. We went for the great value dinner, bed and breakfast rate and didn't know what to expect but the food was first rate. Well done!

Room Tip: If you book direct with the hotel they will give you a room upgrade.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rosie
Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back at The Elstead in the near future. Regards Graham

Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Having decided to go to Bournemouth for the weekend, my friend and I had a look online for some reasonably priced hotel. We were a little apprehensive about this place as the price seemed too cheap - however we were not disappointed. Other reviews say that the place is "dated" - I didn't find that at all. Okay the carpets have a bit of wear in them in the main areas and the stairs, not to mention the creeky floorboards, but this isn't the Ritz and they do not charge Ritz prices accordingly.

All of the staff were helpful and friendly. One guy in particular, (Scottish) Malcolm was a breath of fresh air and it was great talking to him - he made us feel extremely welcome. Considering he had only just started and appeared like he was thrown in at the deep end, he done very well!

Stayed in Room 107. Good sized room. Had an iron and trouser press fixed to the wall. It wasn't the greatest but done the job. The curtains shut out all light.

The only downside was at 9:20am the gardener decided to turn on his handheld leaf blower!!! After getting in and going to bed at 6am, this was not welcomed and totally unnecessary for that time!

The facilities are good. Ample machines at the gym and a nice little pool.

The Elstead is in a very good location - walking distance to town (although we did get a taxi which cost about £3.50). If you're looking for bars, they're all along Old Christchurch Road. If you like Chinese food you MUST visit "Days" Chinese restaurant. :O. Oh my god!

Should I ever visit Bournemouth again, I'll stay at the Elstead, without a doubt!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
GrahamPhillips, General Manager at Elstead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Romeo
Thank you for taking the trouble of posting a review. I am sorry the gardener started so early in the morning at 9.20am, however sometimes it is the only time he can tidy the gardens whilst the car park is free of cars and we mistakenly thought everyone would be awake! I am pleased that you found Malcolm welcoming and I will make sure he is aware of your comments.
Regards
Graham

Reviewed 5 March 2014

There are references among these reviews to the hotel being a little faded. Well, I suppose in a few respects it is, but this is easily outweighed by the up sides. The bed was comfortable with clean sheets (sheets! bliss!). The food was hot, plentiful and tasty and my evening meal was served quickly, which is always good. The staff were unfailingly polite, welcoming, attentive, friendly and had a sense of humour. I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Barry22260

Dear Barriy
Thank you for your response and especially for your kind comments. I note you would stay again so hope to welcome you back. Regards Graham