“Great: quiet 2 night stay in central Bournemouth”
Review of Hotel Celebrity

Hotel Celebrity
Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great: quiet 2 night stay in central Bournemouth”
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I spent quite a while looking at various B&B's and hotels in Bournemouth and Christchurch. Most of the B&B's were coming in at around £60 per night based on 2 people sharing a double room from Thursday to Saturday, and a lot of these were a little chintzy looking.

Eventually, I stumbled across Hotel Celebrity; it seemed quite fresh, clean and modern from the photos (though I didn't put too much trust in them being truly representive!). 2 nights came in at a little over £100 through a third party website (the price was 50% higher using their own website!).

The hotel was easy to find - a convenient central location about a 4-5 minute walk from the main 'strip' - far enough away so that there were no problems with noise from the centre. It was also just a 4-5 minute walk from the beach - superb!

Free parking was provided for residents in a modest car park (which did fill up whilst I was there at the very end of the summer season).

First impressions on entering the lobby were that it looked tidy and clean, perhaps in need of a little attention in places (several false roof panels were missing above the reception desk although it seemed that there were works on going). Beyond the reception area was a large lounge room (named the 'Sherlock Holmes Lounge'!) behind a beautiful set of art deco wooden doors and furnished with antique style bureaus, tables and bookcases, and leather sofas. The receptionist was courteous and helpful; she checked me into my room; told me about the meal times and geve me the free Wi-Fi info. She advised that I should have Wi-Fi coverage in my 2nd floor room.

The corridors were a tiny bit dated looking but the room, when I entered it, was a pleasant surprise; reflective of the photos on their website: quite modern, clean, not too busy, decorated in creams, browns and bamboo greens. My room wasn't very large, but ample for me. Double bed, large flat screen TV, usual furniture and two tall back chairs with still sufficient room to change.

The bathroom was, again, clean, quite modern and uncluttered, decorated in creamy textured tiles. There was no bath, only a shower cubicle (no problem for me). Fresh white towels and bathmat provided.

My only niggles with the room were that there was no Wi-Fi - I could see the access point but couldn't connect, although was able to connect in the reception - perhaps a problem with their range extenders? Also: the view from my room - a brick wall! It wasn't a problem for me but I'd advise anyone booking to stipulate accordingly if they don't want the same view that I enjoyed!

Breakfast was superb; served in a large, bright dining hall with contemporary furnishing and two large flat screen TV's on one wall with breakfast TV/news showing. The breakfast selection was excellent: buffet style with all the usual full English constituents, as well as a good continental selection, fruit, hot drinks and plenty of fruit juices.

There was a lovely evening dining hall adjacent to the breakfast hall; furnished in a similar, classic style to the ‘Sherlock Holmes Lounge', though I didn't try an evening meal in the hotel (the menu looked quite reasonable though - a nice classic selection with 3 courses costing between £20 - £30).

There was also a 'jazzy' looking, large bar, decorated in a kind of Hollywood diner/pop art style, with heavy emphasis on the 'Celebrity' theme. Again; I didn't spend any time in the bar, so can't comment on service, etc.

Overall: a great stay, very comfortable, lovely breakfast and great location. I'd definitely stay again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Stayed at the hotel for a couple nights was a bit concerned about some of the reviews but the hotel was fine clean and tidy close to both the beach and the town and the staff were very friendly .Breakfast was help yourselves which was cereals and full English and fresh juices tea and coffee ,nice relaxing bar in the hotel, a couple of outside patio areas if you wished to sit outside which we did because the weather was gorgeous and a nice comfy lounge we did not use the restaurant but it was reasonably priced and was waitress service all in all a nice place to stay for a short break and close to all the amenities of Bournemouth

Covington, KY
Reviewed 1 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel 3 nites in Sept 2011 and were surprised by the closeness of the beach and downtown Bournemouth. Everything is within walking distance. The hotel has a great history behind it and they took the time to put out pamphlets and displays describing the history.

The room was good for the price and the staff was superb! They went out of their way to help us whenever we had questions. The only thing we can "complain" about is that the internet access, while great in the bar area, was not accessible anywhere else. For us, it was a matter of wanting to Skype with family and not having the privacy to do so. Also, as with any hotel in England, parking is an issue if you leave early in the day and come back later in the evening. However, the staff did help us out on that occasion by letting us double-park and calling us when a space came open. This hotel is also known for it's great meals and people come from other places just for the restaurant, hence part of the parking problem? We can vouch for the meals, they were VERY good! None of these issues would keep us from going back, in fact, if we return to Bournemouth, we would definitely stay there again! Thanks to the staff at the Celebrity, we really enjoyed our stay.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Thank god I only stayed for one night. Staff were ok and served me an early brekfast, but the fun stopped there. The general decor was shabby and dated with dim lighting. The room was dirty, mattress was lumpy, shower was cold, carpet frayed and dirty and I couldn't even drink the tap water in my room. It like staying in a third world country. My job requires me to stay away often and this is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in at nearly twice the price of a travelodge.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 124
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank 00sayburnm
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night in Sep. We checked in and the member of staff was very friendly and efficient. Our room was nice, spacious with good furniture and was clean. Bathroom was clean and had all you would expect.The bar area was comfortable and service in here was good, drinks reasonably priced for a hotel. We ate dinner in the restaurant and this was of a good standard and well priced. The breakfast was varied and of good quality the only gripe we had here was that the cooked breakfast wasnt very hot. All in all a very good hotel and one in which we would stay at again.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Bearing in mind that this place was formerly known as Quality Hotel, I was a little apprehensive that there will be no quality to be found.
as it turned out, the hotel was acceptable - OK, tired, weary and dated decor even after the new management tried to update as budget friendly as possible - but acceptable.
A good location, a good breakfast spread, updated bathroom, a comfortable bed and a clean room.
for £50.00, it was acceptable and would not mind staying there again.

Andrew and Kay

1 Thank KayoandAndrew
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Absolutely loved this hotel. Nothing too much trouble for friendly staff. Room was lovely, with nice corner-bath as well as a shower. Bed was really comfortable, and huge amount of storage space. Restaurant was first class. Great menu. Meal was well presented, delicious,and the waitress was just lovely. OK, there were things I'd improve on. A newer flat-screen tv in the bedroom would have been nice but it wasn't the end of the world. The wifi leaves a bit to be desired. Even in the public areas the signal was lost a couple of times, and it hardly worked at all in our room. But again, not the end of the world. Would definitely recommend - have done already in fact.

Room Tip: Room 251 was near ours. Ours was really nice but that one looked wonderful!