“Nice place to stay”
Review of Hotel Celebrity

Hotel Celebrity
Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Arrived and booked in at 3PM. Hotel is situated in Gervis Road which once must have been quite fashionable, with all the large houses along the tree lined road. Reception was good and there is a Sherlock Holmes dining room.

Room 257 was very nice with ensuit bathroom. It was clean and warm which is important. I am not fussy so as long as there is no bugs etc, I am OK. The place is a bit like a rabbit warren and I have been told that the hotel is haunted by the ghost of a girl who died of TB, she has been seen in December outside the room where she died; you will have to read the leaflet they have to find out more.

There is a lift for disabled people and breakfast is served in the back room between 8-10. Breakfast is cooked and cereal. I think the hotel had something to do with Tony Hancock, not sure on this. I would most likely stay there again, if no ghosts appeare at the bottom of my bed that is...

Room Tip: Have it away from the bar.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Ken R, Owner at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2012

Thankyou Aura for a very kind review. The hotel ghost dates back to the original builidng on the site. We do have a written ghost story for people to read, (on each landing upstairs), and we do have copies for people to take away - though currrently I am behind as the stories are so popular we are constantly having to reprint - to date over 1500 copies have been taken by clients. The ghost is a young girl that died in the 1880's. We have reported sightings by clients about 3 or 4 times a year mainly around this time of year, (anniversary of December death). The Tony Hancock link is that his parents built the hotel, (as now is), in the 1930's and Tony Hancock was brought up at the hotel.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

Overnight stay to watch Madness at the BIC Arena, chose this hotel based on reviews, not dissapointed at all, good room, good breakfast, pleasent staff, booked again in march when we will be going to see Jessie J.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Ken R, Owner at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

I remember responding to this review but it hasn't been taken - must have forgot to press submit button. What I said was thankyou for a very kind review and I was really pleased to see you will be back in March. Best wishes for Xmas.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

Its time people started to recognise those hotels that are going that little step further to treat their customers properly, and then for us the customer to support them. What I'm on about are pretty basic things really that Hotel Celebrity have and are switched onto......this is one hotel that are not trying to take their customers for a ride by charging for things in addition to the room.

They provide free parking, free internet in the public areas (which also by the way works in some rooms), the cost of my room was among the cheapest available when I was searching the internet - very good value & it included breakfast.

You might think that by going to one of the 'cheaper' places that you will have to put up with inferior decor & furnishings - nope not at all. My ensuite room, 107 on the first floor, was great; lovely and clean, very comfortable with everything I needed including a big flatscreen telly.

The public areas are also really nice, bright, clean & upto date. Loved the dining room which I used in the morning for breakfast. Ummm breakfast.....cant fault it, you can help yourself to either continental or the full English. I'm afraid I can't resist the latter and it was lovely; you can tell this is more along the 'home-cooked' variety as opposed to some of the usual 'tat' you get in most places which is just chucked out. Not the case here, I sense that Hotel Celeb actually care about the food they put out, thank you.

What else?.....oh the staff. My interaction with the staff started the day before. I phoned the hotel with a query. Very pleasant manner & efficient, this carried on throughout my stay & continued until after I left - I had to phone them shortly after leaving as I'd lost one of my keys, possibly left it in the room. They had housekeeping check the room & they telephoned me back straight away. Nothing was too much trouble.

I'm trying to think of anything negative to balance this out a bit, but I can't to be honest. So long as they continue to respect their customers, I will definately use Hotel Celebrity again & completely recommend it to others.

Tip: Call them direct to book your room, it will be the same price as via some of the sites online, but you will get discount on food & drinks : )

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Steve M
Ken R, Owner at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

Thank you Steve for a very kind and thorough review. We all feel we turned a corner this year after some extensive investment. Just waiting for the hotel wide wifi to kick in and for the completion of the carpeting upstairs.

Then we will set our targets for next year. Mostly will concentrate on renovation of bedrooms some of which to be fair are dated.

Reviewed 28 November 2012

We arrived very early, the staff were excellent and gave us our room without any fuss, the room was very pleaseant and clean, Excellent quilts and an excellent nights sleep.

The hotel was very beatifull inside and it is clear to see that a hugh effort has been made to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

We attended a wedding in a hotel near by and i have to say, we were the luck ones, the other hotel did not compare in any way.

The staff in the Hotel Celebrity are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble.

The breakfast is Excellent and of a very high quality, we will be staying again

1  Thank Robbo709
Ken R, Owner at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Thankyou Robbo for a very kind review. I appreciate the comments you made - shame the wedding wasn't at this hotel as we score very highly with clients, (the highest rated on TripAdvisor in the locale). Trust to see you again.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

The Celebrity is incredible value, on arrival we were warmly welcomed by the staff on reception, our room was exceptional for the price, everything you could possibly need is there! Lovely spotless beds and linen. The staff go out of there way to help and breakfast was laid out with everything you could possibly want and very attentive waiters. On the whole a really pleasant hotel and we will certainly be back.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Lawsondiane

Thank you for a very kind review. Our staff genuinely are better than most staff at welcoming clients. We are a family hotel living on site - our 3 children have been brought up here - that and long term staff in every area makes for a friendly home from home atmosphere and we are pleased when clients enjoy that experience. Trust to see you again.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

We have just came back from a lovely break in Bournemouth. We stayed at Hotel Celebrity and it was a real treat. We've been spoilt by very attentive and friendly staff. The room was spotless, plenty of hot water and towels. Breakfast more than adequate. There was a function on Saturday, which we were told about and it did not really bother us. A fabulous place with fantastic staff!! We will see you again!!

1  Thank Amanda_B51

Thankyou Amanda for a very kind review. This is very much a family hotel with ourselves as the 'family' in question living on site with our 3 children. With long term staff it makes for a very friendly and personal place to stay. Trust to see you again. Thank you again for your kind words.

Reviewed 21 November 2012

Recently refurbished bedroom was very comfortable and bathroom had good power shower. Breakfast was perfectly acceptable and overall I have to give this hotel full marks because you rarely find such good value.
The free parking and close proximity to the town centre and also the pubs, restaurants and clubs in the Lansdowne area is an added bonus.

1  Thank WurzelSomerset
Ken R, Owner at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2012

Thank you for the kind review and trust to see you again. We are still concentrating here on the re-carpeting and installation of the new hotel wide free wifi system, (bit of a delay there as the contractor is waiting for a replacement unit as one was delivered faulty - so we will slip past end November, but once received I gather it will only be a few days before all is up and running).