“First stay of many I'm sure”
Review of Hotel Celebrity

Hotel Celebrity
Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Dorchester, England, United Kingdom
“First stay of many I'm sure”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed at Hotel Celebrity last weekend, 7th March. I was in town for the monthly Steam House reunion and wanted a central place to stay. First impressions to the outside of the building are not great but don't judge a book by it's cover, once you're inside it all changes. Spotlessly clean and lovely service from all the staff I spoke to .. plus it felt like everything was brand new in my spotless, bright, airy room. The car park is a reasonable size & I managed to park without a problem but if you can't get in, even the paid parking on the road right outside the hotel is a bargain. I didn't use a lot of the hotel facilities on this visit so I can't review the bars or breakfast but what I did use I can't fault. I have no doubt I will be staying here again in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Ken R, General Manager at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear Nicki H,
Thank you very much for your glowing review!!!
It's great to know you found our Hotel to be spotlessly clean and we appreciate your comments about our lovely service, THANK YOU!
We are very happy to know you will visit us again, for your next visit, please book direct with us so will give you our best rate, we will make sure you are given the same room you like so much and we will give you a 20% discount voucher for all drinks at the bar.
We hope that, for your next visit you will have the time to relax in our Birdcage Lounge Bar or Divaz Bar....and don't miss our lovely breakfast!!! :-)
Looking forward to welcoming you again,
(Hotel Manager)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Wraysbury, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just returned home after another fantastic weekend at the Celebrity, your service, food and greetings from the staff were excellent, looking forward to returning in November again. Thank you Ken, Rona, Roberto and all your kind staff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Hilary and Monty,
Thank you for your lovely comments, it's always a pleasure welcoming you again in our homely place and we do feel you became part of our Celebrity Family!
We all look forward to welcoming you all in November for another enjoyable stay...and of course, for a laugh and a dance!!!! :-)
Best Wishes,
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Just spent the weekend at this Hotel and upon arrival, all was fine. Friendly staff and a clean and tidy Hotel.
However, we returned from Bournemouth on Saturday night, to spend the evening in the Hotel and was greeted with two of the three bars being closed for private functions. We made our was to the third bar (smallest) and waited to be served.
After 10 minutes I walked to Reception where I bumped into the owner (Ken). I asked if there was any service in the only bar we were allowed in and he said "yes if you can be patient."
I let this go and just walked back to the bar. After another 10 minutes I walked back out again and again I asked him for service. At this point he asked me what my problem was, so I told him.
I could tell that I was close to being asked to leave, so again I walked away.

On Sunday we were again walking around Bournemouth, but it was raining, so we decided to go back to the Hotel. We booked a Taxi and as soon as we walked into the Hotel we realised that boat main bars were holding private functions yet again and we were not permitted to enter.
We re-booked the Taxi and went straight back out.
Total waste of time and basically this Hotel is offering servicers they fail to provide to their paying customers!!!

We paid for a weekend break at this Hotel and spent our time walking around Bournemouth as we could not get any service, while the private guests were there.
There was nothing anywhere in the Hotel to say that the bars were going to be closed, on Saturday or Sunday.

I would strongly recommend checking what private functions are on, in this Hotel, because if they are, I would look elsewhere!!!

Room Tip: Look Elsewhere!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank R0b_1969
Ken R, Owner at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
It is always a shame when someone over eggs the pudding as occurs here. Before the guest booked we informed them there were 2 parties on the Saturday night - we have 3 bars so this is not a a problem as the third bar, which is newly renovated and has featured on TV, was the bar for hotel guests. What the guest actually asked is why they couldn't join in the 2 parties taking place and why they had to use the hotel guest bar. I explained that the parties were private and asked one of the reception staff, Katie, to go with them to the bar for hotel guests and serve them rather than them having to catch the attention of the person serving in that bar. We had one function on the Sunday in one of the bars, (a child's christening), again leaving the most modern bar for hotel guests. What I think this critique boils down to is my stating that hotel guests cannot go into a private function and the guests in question taking umbrage at this - which is weird really as it is always the case the world over that hotel guests cannot go into a private function. I am sure if the lady in question was having a wedding, birthday or christening celebration she would be pretty miffed if the hotel in question, wherever it was, just allowed anyone willy nilly to walk into their private function. Ah well, some people are made to be difficult .
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed for two nights, 20th and 21st February 2014. Room was a good size and the bathroom was particularly large as it was an accessible room. When we arrived at the hotel I was a little concerned but as soon as we stepped inside, I realised that looks can be deceiving.
The hotel staff were extremely helpful, friendly and courteous, nothing was too much trouble. The room was amazingly clean, the bed extremely comfortable and the gleaming white towels looked brand new and plenty of hot water for long showers.
Plenty of coffee (including decaff), tea and milk and more available upon request. Cups, spoons and kettle were extremely clean.
The breakfast was excellent, a hot buffet plus cereals, fruit, toast, hot drinks and juices all on a help yourself basis. Eggs also cooked to your liking upon request. Tables, crockery and cutlery all very clean.
Overall, exceptional value for money at approx. £45 per room per night including breakfast and superb staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you DNJ2407 for your glowing review!!!
We are glad you enjoyed our clean, spacious room, the helpfulness of our Staff, the service, and the lovely breakfast!
We hope to look after you again in the near future for another "Excellent Value for Money" experience!
Best wishes,
Poole
Reviewed 23 February 2014

50 odd members of an association gathered in early December for a Christmas Lunch. We were certainly not disappointed, in fact, it exceeded our expectations - again! Why? As a group we have been attending this hotel for events since 2009 and each visit provides us with a constant example of décor improvements, up graded public areas and bedrooms. The food is all cooked from fresh using local produce where possible and the quality and portion size is very good. Coupled with this is a very well oiled staff machine with many staff having been at the hotel for some time, they are polite, happy and obliging in dealing with customers and each other. Parking is good for a town centre hotel and is free, as is all-areas WI-FI, a bonus these days!

If you are thinking of a family party, wedding breakfast or just a get-together then this is very worthy of consideration, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you are ringing up to book accommodation, do ask if there is a party on during your stay.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Ken R, General Manager at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear PooleGeedon thank you for your glowing review, it is very appreciated by all the Staff!!!
We are very happy we exceeded your expectations and always happy to look after you every time you stay with us....I can't believe it's already been 5 years!!! I suppose time flies while you are having fun!!! :-)
A big THANK YOU again!!!
Looking forward to welcoming you all again!!!
Roberto
Staines
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Room was a good size. Could do with modernizing, old bathroom, wallpaper, furniture etc, but downstairs dining areas are nice with some original art deco features. I didn't actually realize each of the rooms was themed on a celebrity with tacky pictures all over the walls! Ha ha. Not sure if this actually appeals to anyone or who dreamed the idea up! The rooms were however tidy and clean. Bed was ok but could feel the springs a bit. Breakfast is included and was very decent. Staff very polite. For £40ish on a Friday, it was very good value.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Bobby C,
Thank you for your review!
I'm glad to know you had a positive experience at Hotel Celebrity and I hope you will visit us again when next in the area.
We have a very strong identity which has its foundations on everything Celebrity and we appreciate we are not everybody's cup of tea (Who is?) but, I must say, since we have implemented our Celebrity Inspired Theming, we had several positive feedbacks (some of them you can read on here) and the great majority of our guests appreciate our theming.
We are now concentrating our efforts in refurbishing our bedrooms and it is a process that takes time. For your next visit, please book direct to get the best rate, 20% discount voucher for all drink and we will do our very best to give you a more modern room!
Kindest Regards,
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed here last weekend and would starg off by saying very clean and friendly staff, the room was ok stayed in the jim carrey room ideal for a short stay but would struggle to stay in this room for more than 2 nights, nice clean bathroom and bedroom on arrival nice 32 inch tv on a small ikea table (I have these tables at home) the room was far to hot overnight as heating came through pipes not heater.noisy floor boards ok not a big deal except when any other room decides to stand up, the doors are very old and noisy, when closing, the bed was comfty and in a normal situation you ckuld sleep well if not for the doors and floor boards, one plus they had a nice bath. Also the hover wouldnt of gone a miss on our 2nd day. Now for the eating area this us where the hotel comes into its own, nice var nice restaurants great fresh breakfast love sausages bacon fruit cereal juices etc, food menu u looked good but chose not to eat in due to the over priced bar 3.70 apint way over priced when there Iis a big chain round the corner selling a better selection for 2.19a pint overall a good stay not a great stay, would I stay again maybe, I do travel to bournemouth 3 times a year, good location and parking fine just a few niggles and slightly over priced for the weekends. Hope this is useful happy holidays peeps

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happydays25
Thank you happydays25 for your review!
We are glad you found the hotel clean, with friendly staff and great breakfast and I'm sorry to hear your room was too hot and noisy.
We are currently refurbishing our bedrooms and, as we do so, we fix all floor boards, it is a building full of history and we appreciate your comments on the squeaky floorboards.
With regards to our Bar prices, I must say we are quite competitive for being a Hotel and we offer a 20% off all drinks to all guests who book direct, with this discount you could enjoy a pint for only £2.96 which is far cheaper than any other Hotel in the area!
Thank you again, for your fair review, I'm sure it is useful for the "happy holidays peeps", certainly it is for us to keep us focused on how to improve our busy "happy holidays place" :-)
For your next visit, please give us a call on 01202 316316 and we will make sure we give you a discount card and allocate you in a room more in tunes with your needs
Looking forward to welcoming you again,