“Cheesy, just the way I like it....” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Celebrity
Ranked #29 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Cheesy, just the way I like it....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed for four nights last week with a friend, her son and her mother. We were all satisfied and we covered all age ranges from 6 years to 68 years.

The room was a bit small for four of us but did us well for the four days we were there.

Right on top of the beach, great basic breakfast. The bar was accommodating if a bit pricey ( to be expected in a hotel in central Bournemouth in peak season).

I liked the Celebrity theme , didn't take itself too seriously ....

Bathroom smelt a bit musty tho'

Room Tip: The old lift shaft area is allegedly haunted!!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ken R, General Manager at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Emma_Brown,
Thank you very much for your feed-back!
We are glad to know you were all satisfied with your stay, our theme is meant to be amusing and of course it does not take itself too seriously :-) ...we are very happy to know you appreciated it for what it is and we all hope to welcome you again soon!
What we do take seriously are our guests' feedback...we are sorry to know your room was a bit small and the issue of the en-suite, your comment has been passed on to our maintenance department.
For your next stay, please call us direct on 01202 316316 and we will try our very best to give you one of our very spacious family rooms. Our Ken Dodd room, for instance, is very spacious, completely refurbished to very high standards with new en-suite and power shower, it is a superior room but we will still offer you our best rates when you book direct..and a 20% discount for ALL DRINKS!!!
(Hotel Manager)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

At first was not over keen on the theme thing, had my 14 year old daughter on trip advisor looking for hotels. Started reading reviews and looked on the website at awards etc was impressed, called up and spoke to a very friendly Eva who patient dealing with me, being indecisive. Eva explained she had one double room left. I booked it after a bit of flapping!
Just got a good feel from that initial friendly call with Eva. We received a warm friendly greeting on arrival from reception. Arrived early about 1pm, our room was ready. Good start!! Room spotlessly clean with everything needed.
Hotel is in a very good location from the beach and town centre, but a struggle by day three if you’re tired or unfit like me.

Breakfast lovely constantly refilled, fresh and hot. Room cleaned by the time we got back from breakfast 9:30am. Two or three course dinner, amazing value! fresh homemade food fantastic. Really good, we had three courses both evenings, the mains were ample size but couldn’t resist those banoffee pancakes. Greedy I know 

In the restaurant we had been served by lovely Maria and a tall gentleman really professional couldn’t do enough for you.
On our last morning over breakfast was telling the friendly tall man how much I had liked the hotel and how the service all round the hotel was so professional. Seriously, cleaners, reception, restaurant staff, so happy. Turns out he was the manager Roberto, not to senior to roll up his sleeves with his staff because they were short. Impressive!!! He could give some so called Managers some lessons.

A tight team , top service and superb management. Rare!! Fab stay. Will go for a superior room next visit, hopefully in September.

Tip… there is a lift round the corner from the hotel takes you to the beach. Found out last day.

Room Tip: Lift to the beach down the side road of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
Dear Cheryl,
WOW....thank you SOOOOO MUCH for your glowing review, it really means a lot!!!
We are all delighted to know you had a great stay and we all look forward to welcoming you again in the near future. We are a happy bunch and we all love to look after our guests regardless of our titles, Ewa and Maria are real stars...just like the rest of our Celebrity family...thank you again for your very kind comments!
We all loved looking after you, your daughter (next time we need to practice a bit of French or Spanish though :-)) and it was nice meeting your sister and niece.
As your booking was very last minute, we were only able to accommodate you in one standard room that awaits refurbishment, we are glad you appreciated that and we are very confident you will love our superior rooms!
For your next visit, please give us a call and we will make sure you are given a newly refurbished superior room for extra comfort and space.
Thank you again for your amazing review!
Best wishes,
Roberto
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

It says "pet friendly" - it doesn't say "at a price"!

I reserved a single room (£43 per night inc breakfast) for two nights and wanted to take a trainee Assistance Dog, qualified for public access - has the coat to prove it - but there was nowhere on the booking form to say so apart from the "Special Request" box. So I put my request in there and received a very prompt response from Jasmin Robins - who turned out to be the manager's/proprietor's daughter. It read "We are a dog friendly hotel & we are more than happy for you to bring your dog to stay with us. There will be an extra charge of £30.00, for extra cleaning which can be paid upon arrival.

£15 per night to clean a few dog hairs off a carpet? They are having a laugh, aren't they? It would be worth getting a job there as a cleaner at those rates!

I telephoned to explain that I always take a rubber brush with me to clean the floor when I take my dog away overnight. The Manager's (I believe the proprietor's) daughter was very dismissive and implied that I should be grateful they would allow a dog and be prepared to pay any amount for the privilege. The manager/proprietor himself, when he finally called me, was aggressive and rude - wouldn't let me finish a sentence - and thoroughly intransigent. Despite the fact that not one other hotel I have investigated charges for assistance dogs, trainee or qualified, he insisted it was hotel (his?) policy and he was not prepared to change it for any reason whatsoever. He deemed the charge to be reasonable!!!

So the rooms are nice - the management certainy isn't! I am very glad I (honestly) made a genuine error - and gave an incorrect credit card number which I didn't find out about until the issue over the dog arose.

That said, I really hope Mr Robins and his family don't ever need an Assistance dog and come up against the attitudes shown to me!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank BJD22250
Ken R, Owner at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
The credit card given for this booking on our machine was noted as 'insufficient funds, retain card'. This only occurs when the card is reported as lost or stolen. When I phoned about this the lady did talk about her dog but my main concern was to explain that as the card used was reported as lost or stolen we couldn't use it and therefore there was no booking.

With respect to our 'pet' policy. We charge £15.00 per pet per night with a maximum charge of £30.00 per stay. This lady may think her dog wonderful as a dog owner myself I think my dog is wonderful but I am also aware that the next person to stay in the room may not want a 'pet' smell or dog hairs and may be allergic to dogs so we do extra cleaning regardless of the type of pet in the room. This we charge for. The charge is very reasonable and we have regular visitors with pets.

But whatever hotel you book they will want a valid credit card not one reported as lost or stolen and when I phoned to ask for a 'valid' credit card this lady didn't want to give one so she didn't stay at the hotel.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 3 nights and it was perfect, just what we wanted :) The room we were in was modern and very clean and the staff were welcoming & friendly. This hotel was a real gem, we've never stayed anywhere like it. The celebrity theme really made it unique and very amusing. Alongside this the lounge/bar area was a really nice way to end your evening. As well as being only a five minute walk from the beach, I would highly recommend this hotel :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
Dear Louise G,
Thank you very much for your lovely comments, they are very important to all the Staff at Hotel Celebrity!
We are delighted to know you had an enjoyable experience in our "lovely hotel" and that you found our theming unique and amusing . We are definitely different from the standard seaside hotels in the area and, even if we are proud of our unique identity, we still focus on what is essential: cleanliness, friendly staff, great homemade food, competitive prices and relaxed atmosphere.
We all hope to welcome you again in the near future for another great stay. For your next visit, please book direct on 01202 316316 and we will make sure you are given the best rates, a 20% discount voucher for all drinks purchased during your stay and the same clean and comfortable room!!!
Loughborough, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel for it's themselves and location. The concept is great but floored with just a few pictures in " themed " rooms. We had the Arnie room and if you took away the framed posters then nothing else made it different . The carpets were showing age and the mattress a little bumpy. The shower did no more than light shower so don't expect heavy rain!! The bar area is funky and the downstairs lobby and rooms are fine but still no clever memorabilia. Breakfast was fine and the staff very nice. Location is ok but not frontline. Don't think I would go back too this Hotel unless it had a revamp and the grumpy man with his dog never turned up again but I would go back too Bournemouth as it has a good vibe and lovely long Beach.

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Kevin K
Ken R, General Manager at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Kevin K,
We are sorry to hear our theming didn't impress you and that you didn't find our displays interesting.
We really hope you could give us a second chance, if you wish to stay with us again, why don't spoil yourself with a superior room that provides extra comfort, new decor, new en-suite and a power shower. These rooms have been recently decorated and offer great value for money.
Contact us direct for best rates, drinks discount and we will make sure you are given a room more suitable to your requirements.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I don't know where to start! On arrival I wasn't expecting much. Check in was very easy, very friendly staff at reception and throughout the hotel. I opened my room door (Dolly Parton room, not chosen by myself!) and was blown away by the quality of the room. Time and effort had gone into everything. The amount of sockets, the quality of the bed, curtains etc. Lots of draw space, lovely sized TV, windows that open as far as you like! Very, very clean room and bathroom.

There is a large selection of homemade food to eat on site. I tried to sample as much as I could, with never been disappointed. The spread for breakfast is incredible considering it's included in the price of the room.

Quite a nice idea for the decor. Numerous times walking to my room seeing the different pictures and memorabilia and jogging my memory of the the different entertainers/movies etc. Sparks reminiscing to earlier years!

You will not be disappointed!!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Ken R, General Manager at Hotel Celebrity, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Daniel B,
Thank you ever so much for your lovely review!
We are very happy to know you had an enjoyable experience with us, found us friendly and were impressed with our Dolly Parton room.
Our celebrity theming is quite unique and add a bit of fun to our guests' experience, we are glad you appreciated it and we hope to have you again with us in the near future!
For your next visit, book direct with us on 01202 316316 and we will make sure you are given the same room you liked so much!
Kindest Regards,
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Nice room with ok en-suite and I had a good nights sleep. I did not think that the blinds were very good at the window which did not block out the light. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would go again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
Dear Kim T,
Thank you for your lovely feedback, it is very appreciated!
We are glad you had an enjoyable stay and we all look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!
Best wishes,