“Pamper Day”

Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Pamper Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our Pamper Day at The Connaught. The hotel was clean and all the staff were pleasant and helpful. Massage by Emily was excellent. We walked into the town centre and along the beach, which are both within easy walking distance from the Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Delighted to read just how much you enjoyed your pamper day Susan - thank you very much for the review.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

We booked late, but were given a lovely twin - 238 - which had everything we needed, inc. wifi, which worked fine for us. But it is up a lot of stairs if you have lots of luggage...be warned. The lift helped, but is small, and there are still a few stairs after that. We ordered room service, feeling a bit guilty that it had to be brought all the way up to us from the hotel next door, but it was delivered hot and complete, with reassurance that it was no trouble at all. It was delicious too. Breakfast was scrumptious in the beautiful restaurant, and all the staff were lovely.

Stayed February 2013
1 Thank ClanCat
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this review, 17 February 2013
Many thanks Clancat for your superb, 5 star review and delighted to read just how much you enjoyed your stay. Our porters are only too happy to help with bags should anyone have a problem with the stairs.

Bicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

I booked through a late rooms booking service, and made sure to check that WiFi was 'free and available in all rooms' (no, it isn't but should be), and that there was a lift. I had an arthroscopy operation on my knees in November, and am still finding walking difficult, but as there was a lift advertised....

All went smoothly with the booking in process in the main Connaught Hotel, and after I had booked in, not before, I was informed that the kitchen was closed for refurbishment that night so no evening meal was available, but discounts at other establishments...etc, etc. I had planned to invite my son for dinner, so this was disappointing. (I'd also planned to meet my son in about an hour's time after having had a shower. The weather had been bad for travelling, and I needed to refresh.)

Not half as disappointing as finding out the lift didn't work. So when I got to my room, I thought I would ring down to reception to tell them. Unfortunately the phone didn't work, either, and obviously wasn't going to that day, so as this is supposed to be in use for emergencies and I also have asthma, I asked for another room on the basis that if I'm going to be gasping my last down a phone at any time, I'd kind of like to have someone on the other end of it.

By this time the manager had appeared to smoothe my ruffled feelings. All the staff were very courteous and I would not fault their attitude dealing with me, as I could feel my horns and tail developing by the minute as I was turning by frustration into the customer from Hell. He personally escorted me to my room, getting the wrong one at first and somewhat surprising the people inside even though I did say he was trying the wrong door (perhaps not loudly enough). We got to the right room; I'd asked for a quiet one and yes, it was lovely and quiet. He took the lamp and the welcome tray off the bed and put them in the right place, then checked that the phone worked and I thanked him and we parted company.

I couldn't get the WiFi to work, so one of the porters came across to help me out, I met him in the foyer and having established that it worked on the first and third floor I went back to my room and thought I'd have the shower and try the WiFi later. OK......no towels, but thankfully the phone was still working.....'we'll send some straight away'. By this time I was already 20 minutes late to meet my son, who lives in the locality.

Now, I'm not given to taking a tape measure with me under normal circumstances, but I was meeting my son with a view to redecorating his hallway, and took one with me to measure up for wallpaper purposes. So I can affirm that as someone else has already commented that these shower rooms are not built for the larger person (of which I am sadly one in girth, if not in height). They are approx 90" x 28" (excluding the door recess), the shower is 28" x 29" and had a ghastly nylon curtain to it which stuck to me. The toilet and cistern take up 29" from back wall to front of seat. The hand basin is full sized, so between the edge of the basin and the architrave of the door frame is 14" in which to swivel to sit on the loo. If you're standing, gentlemen, this leaves approximately 4" for you to get your legs in the right position between facing the toilet with your back to the sink, or as my slim son says, almost sitting on the sink. There are smaller handbasins on the market now, so maybe in the refurbishment.... Still, the shower did the job, so off I went, just over an hour late.

I returned at 7.45pm, still unable to connect to WiFi. This time the deputy manager came up to see me, and apologised for the failure of the system saying that I was welcome to use WiFi in the bar while I had a drink. I had been up since 5am, really didn't want a drink, am a 59 year old woman travelling alone and of the background where sitting in a bar on my own, however upmarket, does not make me feel relaxed and comfortable. Funnily enough I could get WiFi access of one of the neighbouring hotels, but the manager would not ask on my behalf whether I could piggy-back on their system. So after taking my son back home, I walked round to the neighbouring hotel, asked their charming receptionist, Sarah, whether it would be possible for me to use their WiFi system which I could pick up clearly. That wasn't a problem, and no, there'd be no charge. Just out of interest, if the manager HAD asked on my behalf, would they have allowed it? 'Yes, for an individual guest, but not for the whole hotel!'

The decor in both rooms allocated to me was exhausted rather than tired (perhaps the refurbishment programme isn't as well advanced as it should be), but the bed I found comfortable (if a little hard) and the room was very clean except around the base of the shower gel dispenser. The hot chocolate mix was one of the best I've had. I slept well, read the newspaper online at 5am when I awoke (courtesy of the next door hotel); my son joined me for breakfast which was well prepared and pleasingly presented. The waiting staff were charming. In fact, all the staff were charming in the face of my mounting frustration, but I still came away feeling that if this was the Best Western, I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of the Worst. Communication between staff for the lift problem, preparation for the towels and diligence for the phone and WiFi issues would have made my stay a lot more pleasurable and why I have only given the service rating a 3. As it is, I feel that customers of the Lodge receive a substandard service: in these recessional days I don't think it is advisable for a manager to state that if you pay another £10 - £20 for a room then the service will be better. That's not a risk I am prepared to take when paying for a room at the last minute which hasn't been sold already and would otherwise not be making any revenue for the hotel.

Room Tip: Presently (Feb 2013) I am tempted to say choose somewhere else, but the problems I experienced were...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Dear Hilary

No excuses here just a humble apology. Room 225 was taken off for works to be carried out on the day of your departure - you were allocated that room which is why it wasn't properly prepared. Everything went wrong at the same time - the lift needed to be reset, the wifi went down, etc. etc. I have written to you separately and hope you accept my offer and my apology.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Exceptional!
Decided to visit Bournemouth for a weekend break and plumped for the Connaught Lodge. Never have we come across such a friendly team. Every single member of staff were so polite and happy. They seem to have such a pride in all they do.
Within minutes of getting into our room we had a courtesy call asking if all was OK, (it was!) The food in the restaurant was very good, with very attentive staff, and the breakfast was top quality.
The hotel is going through some renovation work at the moment (which was very discretely being undertaken, and in no way made a difference to our trip) and the restaurant was closed on the second night of our stay as part of this programme, but we had a hand signed letter from the manager letting us know about discounts they had negotiated with nearby restaurants. This really was an extra detail lesser well run hotels would have missed, and much appreciated.
The leisure facilities were fantastic. Pool was clean and warm and the sauna, steam room and hot tub were newly fitted.
The only tiny downside was that the walls in the lodge are a little thin; but thanks to the amourous neighbours who provided us with some entertainment!
What a great break, thank you all - keep it up!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Well, we all really loved your review Mendiptf, thank you very much.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

We only used this hotel for a short overnight stay to attend an event Bournemouth. Hotel, location, and facilities overall were fine, and everyone I spoke with at the reception desk was very friendly and helpful. That said, our stay could have been better. The room was nice and reasonably comfortable, however, it was on the first floor of their annex called The Lodge. Unfortunately, we were directly above something called the Franklyn Suite that was hosting a 21st birthday party that night. So, aside from trying to fall asleep while the latest floor-fillers were thumping beneath us, every time someone went outside for a smoke the front door to The Lodge would slam. Also, although free, I could not get the Wi-Fi to work. So, probably a great place to stay in Bournemouth, but careful where you are put in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Many thanks for the review Mydogfarley and given the disturbance caused by the celebrations it was most generous - thank you. I have written to you separately with a small offering to make up for that night and hope to see you again soon.

Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

We stayed in room 201 in the lodge mid January. We chose this hotel after reading the positive reviews. I can only say that the whole experience was fantastic from check-in to when we left.

The hotel is well situated (close to the town centre) and has a large car park.
The initial check-in was straight forward and professional. Our room was clean & very pleasant with a huge bed. The shower is huge, could have spent a few hours in there! Room 201 has a large walk in wardrobe which was nice but the light had been removed so it was a bit difficult to see.

Breakfast was just great. Extremely friendly staff, an extensive selection of hot & cold food and superb service. We did not eat dinner in the hotel as we had already chosen the restaurants we wanted to eat in so cannot comment on the restaurant although we understand it is highly recommended. There are several restaurants near the hotel (can recommend the Thai restaurant by the Marriott) however it is only a 10 minute walk into town (recommend the Tapas bar). We did have drinks in the hotel bar however, again service was impeccable.

We used the leisure club facilities which were excellent, again very friendly staff & everything very clean. It was particularly nice not to find the spa full of 'yummy mummies' & their children which has been our experience in other hotels.

This hotel runs like a well-oiled machine. The standards of service are very high & I cannot remember when I last encountered such friendly & efficient staff. Think the exact opposite of 'Fawlty Towers'.

I have marked this highly as I think it deserves it considering the reasonable price we paid. Would we visit again - absolutely.

A couple of suggestions:

A light in the walk-in wardrobe in room 201 would be nice.

Longer term it would be nice to have a covered walkway from the lodge to the hotel - I know it is only a few yards but it was snowing when we were there - yes, it snows even in Bournemouth.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this review, 10 February 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely 5 star review of our hotel Dinosaurus - extremely comprehensive and very welcome. The light bulb in the wardrobe has now been changed - apologies for that but thank you for bringing it to our attention and we look forward to a return visit.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013

tried to book online for a couple of nights using a promotional deal for myself and my family, thinking a lodge suite would be ideal for the 4 of us at the quoted price of £134 for the two nights. As I had difficulty booking on the website (later found to be due to my laptop) I phoned the hotel to book direct, at which point they quoted £198, then on prompting their advertised deal quoted £168. On mentioning their website quoted £134 they stated the additional cost was due to the children within the booking. On querying that the website made no additional charge I was told 'well you haven't been able to book that via the website, have you', which I found somewhat rude.
As we still thought the hotel looked nice, my wife tried to book via the website, and found the same quoted price of £134, which could have been booked had we proceeded. On her phoning the hotel just to recheck she was then told that children were charged at £10 per child per night, therefore even if she booked online the hotel would get in touch to make us aware of the additional payment and see if the booking was to go ahead. On the basis of the above, it would seem the rate would now be £174, which is different again!

In my experience, other hotels would admit it was their mistake and honour the information on their website, so on principle we have decided to stay somewhere else. Rather a shame, given the other good reviews.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this review, 9 February 2013
Dear Ross

The reason you could not book this suite on the web is quite simple, you tried to book for 4 when the website would only allow you to book for 2!!

1. The rate quoted on the web for all our rooms, except singles, is for 2 people not 4.
2. Extra guests in family rooms or suites are charged at the rate of £10 per person which is for breakfast.
3. When you rang the hotel you were clearly advised of this.
4. When your wife rang later she was also advised of this.
5. Given your frustrations you were offered a compromise - 1 child free.

Had you managed to book this suite on the web we would have honoured the booking without question but to expect us to honour a booking you couldn't make is unreasonable.