“Great Value and location”

The Connaught Lodge
Ranked #30 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I have just got back from a one night stay with my partner. If i am honest, when booking a hotel i was looking for the cheapest one, so did not have a great deal of exception. To my suprise this hotel was lovley and amazing value! The room we stayed in was clean and really warm and cosy! The swimming pool was lovely also. Staff really friendly and helpfull. Let us check in early when we got there at 1pm. Also the breakfast i thought was amazing. I thought with the price we paid for the room that it would just be continental, however it inclued a hot buffet, with lots to choose from. Will defiantly be back in the summer!

Nicola

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2013

Delighted we exceeded your expectations Nicola - thank you for your superb review.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

I can find no fault with the Connaught Lodge: our room was absolutely immaculate, freshly decorated, with a brand new bathroom & new carpet throughout. It might have been cold outside, but it was warm & very comfortable inside the Lodge, with a very short walk necessary to the neighbouring main hotel for meals (excellent) & leisure facilities.
The staff were, without exception, friendly & very helpful.
It is conveniently situated, and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Room Tip: We stayed out of season, so possibly that is the reason why our room was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Thank you so much Belle for your very complimentary 5 star review; we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I have stayed at the Connaught Lodge twice during the last few weeks. On both occasions, the staff were very friendly and food was excellent. The accommodation is very clean and comfortable. I stayed in a double bedroom the first time and a family room on the second occasion. Both were spacious and well laid out. Having tea/coffee making facilities in the room adds to the comfort. I would recommend this hotel in Bournemouth. Its location is close to the sea and is only a short walk from the pier, the town centre and the entertainment venues.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Many thanks "Idontlikeflying" for your "excellent" 5 star review - hope to see you again in the summer.

Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel back in Sept 2012 for my hen weekend. I booked this hotel as it had spa facilities and was near to the beach and town. Which is what I was looking for to make my hen weekend special. I booked 3 twin rooms. So when I was rang the eve before my arrival on Mar 9th 2013 to be told they had over booked and I was being moved I was disappointed to say the least. They reassured me that the hotel they had moved me to (The Durley Dean) was of the same standard, I said I had only booked them for the spa facilities, they did say we could still use their spa facilities. They said they were a 5-10 minute walk from our new hotel. The new hotel was disgusting, the rooms were old and dated, they smelt stale. It was certainly not of the same standard. The three rooms were not near each other( which I was told by the Connaught when they rang, they would be) One room didn't even have a shower, the towels had stains and the floor boards creaked throughout the hotel. Although we were told we could walk to the Connaught, to use their spa, we felt it to be a lot of stress having to take all our swimming clothes and towels and so our group didn't get to use the spa which was upsetting. Who wants to have to pack their clothes, towels and swimming items and walk 10 minutes in the cold first thing in the morning( no one) . The Durley Dean was no way near as same standard as the Connaught. It made my hen weekend feel more like I was back packing in some basic hotel, rather than enjoying myself in a nice hotel. I think it is disgusting that I was only informed the evening before I was due to arrive, that i had been over booked and i was being moved, especially as I booked 6 months beforehand. This is poor management. And if your going to move people the hotel should be of same standard or better, not worse!!!

Stayed: March 2013
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2013

Dear Victoria,

I was somewhat taken aback when I read of your problems and I cannot apologise enough. On investigating I can only say that this was not a case of overbooking but it was a genuine mistake made by the reservations team on transferring your booking to our new reservations system. I have asked our general manager to contact you which I believe he did today and he has invited you and your new husband to spend some time with us when you return from your honeymoon and enjoy a complimentary treatment in our spa. I hope you both have a wonderful day and look forward to seeing you in due course.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

Stayed here some time ago when visiting family in Bournemouth. I found it to be in an ideal location and had ample room for parking.
The lodge itself is clean and tidy, room was very good, I found the bed very comfortable, my only complaint about the room would have been the bathroom - the size of it!! I've never seen such a small bathroom in my life once you are in there there is barely enough room to close the door, but having said that it was perfectly serviceable and clean. All the staff here are very pleasant and helpful.
The facilities such as the restaurant and bar etc are located in the adjoining connaught hotel. The breakfast I felt was nothing short of fantastic.
I will certainly return here next time I am in Bournemouth, my only tip for anyone is if you want to have a room in the connaught hotel make sure this is clear at the time of booking, as I thought I had been booked in the hotel, where I had actually been booked in the lodge. Having said this, apart from the miniature bathroom, I couldn't really fault it.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank bazza902

Great 5 star review Bazza, thank you very much indeed. The next time you want to make a booking with us please call the reception direct on 01202 298020 and let them know exactly what you want - much easier, very effective and you get exactly what you want!!

Best wishes and thanks again

Reviewed 28 February 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel, was both overall very happy.

Good points:
Staff were all very friendly
Great pool jaquzzi gym etc
Good room size with walk in wardrobe
Good location is right about only being a short walk
Good meals in the evenings
Fair bar prices
Everything was clean
Shower was good

Bad or things to improve:
Although the breakfast was generally alright with good service the cooked part was quite cold and wasn't great
Would be handy if there was a vending machine
For some reason the sink only had warm or hot water without cold, although bar staff were happy to give us jug of cold water for the room free of charge.
Double room is 2 singles pushed together

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Many thanks Mitchell for your excellent review. From the description of your room we know the room you are talking about and we are dealing with the warm water problem as I write this response. The beds are zip and link allowing us the ability to provide doubles or twins - pretty common in hotels these days but please let me know if they were in any way uncomfortable.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

The staff are very friendly and helpful. It is central to sea and shopping with lots of places to eat and drink. I have stayed there twice recently and both times were lovely. The rooms are clean and bed very comfortable, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2013

Many thanks Jan for your 5 star review - we look forward to seeing you again soon.