“Fab again!”

The Connaught Lodge
Ranked #30 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Another return to the Connaught and a pleasant one it was!
Although since last time the place has had a revamp, it is still warm & welcoming & friendly.
The interior is glass chandeliers & more contemporary with improved lounge areas so making it more comfortable.
The terrace area is nice for warmer weather ! We were here for a relaxing weekend & to take in a show.

We arrived on the saturday evening to be checked in swiftly & fuss free. Our room was in the lodge and having stayed in the main hotel itself previously, I was a little hesitant about the standard, however no need for concern! After 15mins or so we were called by reception to check if the room was ok, all was! This I thought a nice touch. The room 215 was spacious & nicely decorated & had everything we wanted for a couple of days, kettle,T & C,telly if wanted & opening windows! The bathroom was a tad tight one person at a time which meant hubby was waiting for me to finish getting ready each time so that was the only minor thing. The bed was comfortable & although woken up twice by inconsiderate guests returning in the early hours on the saturday, we had a better sleep on the sunday night! Plenty of plug points & mirrors for us ladies!!
Breakfast was very good hot & plenty of it! Only niggle being that skimmed milk is not on the menu & as I can only have skimmed due to digestive condition this did pose a slight problem but was remedied by a trip to the local shop! During breakfast however they did give me soya milk so wasn't a major biggy however may be this could be considered for the future?

Nick is still overseeing the restaurant in his usual jolly & efficient way!
We were dissappointed to find the restaurant fully booked on the Saturday evening, so ate in the lounge area only to find with other couples that there were empty tables in the restaurant??

This was due to a Charity function that was being held, however I do think that if they have a restaurant they should be able to staff this as well as any functions.
It's unfair to other paying guests, to be denied this due to inadequate staff coverage or kitchen problems.

There was a little wait for the food due to this but when it came it was hot & nicely presented & tasted good! The bar prices are a little steep compared to normal pubs but then this is hotel and its the norm! The lounge menu I felt could have provided a little more choice but on the whole wasn't too bad if you like spicy things & salads!
The bar staff are friendly & polite on the whole however could do with being abit more customer focussed! Reception staff were all brilliant, smiley, friendly & very helpful.

The things I like most about this hotel is its location 5 mins to the sea 15mins to the BIC & approx 20 mins or so the Town centre! So close for everything & yet just out enough to walk off the food & get a good nights sleep!
About twenty mins walk towards Durley Chine along the beach there is a Harvester, good value, quick service & friendly staff.

Would definately reccommend this hotel as it also provides good parking, The rooms in the lodge are of a very good standard so don't be put off by the fact its a 2min walk across to the main hotel for breakfast!

This hotel is still as good as ever good value, good location, good food good service! I won't stay anywhere else in Bournemouth because I know that no matter how many times you stay here the service is always great!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

A great review Flogo, thank you and really pleased you enjoyed staying in the Lodge - 205 overlooks the garden and has just been completely refurbished. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

We booked this hotel for 3 nights for a short break away. We thought by choosing Best Western(an established hotel brand in the UK) we would be getting good quality accommodation. A big disappointment! When we arrived, we had to battle for a parking space and feared being blocked in as there was so much double parking. As we checked in we were told our room was in an annexe at the back of the main hotel, which was not made clear at time of booking. Whilst the public areas of the main hotel are contemporary and have recently been refurbished, the annexe, called "The Lodge", is incredibly worn, tired, dated and basic. We felt like we were in 'bedsit' land with lots of narrow corridors and creaky stairs; this certainly did not feel like a quality hotel, more like a hostel. Our room had not been decorated for several decades (80's decor throughout) and was rather grubby. However, on the plus side, the bathroom had been refurbished and was nice, modern and clean. The heating was on full blast night and day which made the room stuffy, even with the windows open all the time. The twin beds were appallingingly poor quality; flimsy bases and unsupportive mattresses. On our first morning for breakfast, the hotel clearly could not cater for the number of guests and we had to wait for a table and there was a rather chaotic atmosphere in the dining area. That said, the staff were doing their best and the food was good. All in all, we would not recommend this hotel and the price we paid did not represent good value for money.

Room Tip: Check that you are NOT staying in the annexe
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

Dear HowesD.

My apologies once again for your disappointment and, as you know, we have written to you to offer you a discounted return visit. For the record, you were not placed in the annexe - your booking was made by a third party booking agent and was made for the Lodge, not the Best Western Connaught Hotel.

Reviewed 27 March 2013 via mobile

Ok so I accidentally booked the lodge when I really wanted the main Connaught hotel, my bad, however we decided to give it a chance. The rooms are small the ensuite feels like a cupboard, the walls are paper thin too. The location was ok but parking is only just adequate.

Very disappointing, we won't be staying again

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Martin W
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Sincere apologies Martin for your poor experience. The room you stayed in, 220, is small but was reflected in the price that you paid - just £64. Most of the rooms are larger and so are the rates. I have written to you separately with an special offer to make up for your disappointment.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

I have just got back from a one night stay with my partner. If i am honest, when booking a hotel i was looking for the cheapest one, so did not have a great deal of exception. To my suprise this hotel was lovley and amazing value! The room we stayed in was clean and really warm and cosy! The swimming pool was lovely also. Staff really friendly and helpfull. Let us check in early when we got there at 1pm. Also the breakfast i thought was amazing. I thought with the price we paid for the room that it would just be continental, however it inclued a hot buffet, with lots to choose from. Will defiantly be back in the summer!

Nicola

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2013

Delighted we exceeded your expectations Nicola - thank you for your superb review.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

I can find no fault with the Connaught Lodge: our room was absolutely immaculate, freshly decorated, with a brand new bathroom & new carpet throughout. It might have been cold outside, but it was warm & very comfortable inside the Lodge, with a very short walk necessary to the neighbouring main hotel for meals (excellent) & leisure facilities.
The staff were, without exception, friendly & very helpful.
It is conveniently situated, and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Room Tip: We stayed out of season, so possibly that is the reason why our room was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Thank you so much Belle for your very complimentary 5 star review; we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I have stayed at the Connaught Lodge twice during the last few weeks. On both occasions, the staff were very friendly and food was excellent. The accommodation is very clean and comfortable. I stayed in a double bedroom the first time and a family room on the second occasion. Both were spacious and well laid out. Having tea/coffee making facilities in the room adds to the comfort. I would recommend this hotel in Bournemouth. Its location is close to the sea and is only a short walk from the pier, the town centre and the entertainment venues.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Many thanks "Idontlikeflying" for your "excellent" 5 star review - hope to see you again in the summer.

Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel back in Sept 2012 for my hen weekend. I booked this hotel as it had spa facilities and was near to the beach and town. Which is what I was looking for to make my hen weekend special. I booked 3 twin rooms. So when I was rang the eve before my arrival on Mar 9th 2013 to be told they had over booked and I was being moved I was disappointed to say the least. They reassured me that the hotel they had moved me to (The Durley Dean) was of the same standard, I said I had only booked them for the spa facilities, they did say we could still use their spa facilities. They said they were a 5-10 minute walk from our new hotel. The new hotel was disgusting, the rooms were old and dated, they smelt stale. It was certainly not of the same standard. The three rooms were not near each other( which I was told by the Connaught when they rang, they would be) One room didn't even have a shower, the towels had stains and the floor boards creaked throughout the hotel. Although we were told we could walk to the Connaught, to use their spa, we felt it to be a lot of stress having to take all our swimming clothes and towels and so our group didn't get to use the spa which was upsetting. Who wants to have to pack their clothes, towels and swimming items and walk 10 minutes in the cold first thing in the morning( no one) . The Durley Dean was no way near as same standard as the Connaught. It made my hen weekend feel more like I was back packing in some basic hotel, rather than enjoying myself in a nice hotel. I think it is disgusting that I was only informed the evening before I was due to arrive, that i had been over booked and i was being moved, especially as I booked 6 months beforehand. This is poor management. And if your going to move people the hotel should be of same standard or better, not worse!!!

Stayed: March 2013
David1007, Owner at The Connaught Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2013

Dear Victoria,

I was somewhat taken aback when I read of your problems and I cannot apologise enough. On investigating I can only say that this was not a case of overbooking but it was a genuine mistake made by the reservations team on transferring your booking to our new reservations system. I have asked our general manager to contact you which I believe he did today and he has invited you and your new husband to spend some time with us when you return from your honeymoon and enjoy a complimentary treatment in our spa. I hope you both have a wonderful day and look forward to seeing you in due course.