“I will be back with my Family!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Suncliff Hotel

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #26 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
Coventry, United Kingdom
“I will be back with my Family!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2011

I travel all over the UK due to my line of work and I go from Hotel to Hotel. In my eyes you have 2 choices, you either book one from the TV normal room, bog standard bar food and robot staff where you know what your getting which really is a room with basic facilities. Or you find something different.

I believe variety is the spice of life so I always try to book a private or individual hotel. I found the Suncliff On-line and looked at TA it had mixed reviews but was reasonable so decided to make it my home for 4 days.

I Will say I have very little bad to say about this Hotel, yes it is a little tired here and there but you can see that they are updating lots of their facilities. Reception team are anything but helpful and very polite how people can describe them as awful is beyond me!!!

I have 2 kids and being away means I can catch up on reading so spent my evenings in the bar people watching, listening to the entertainment, one early evening a manager came into the bar with guests. Me being nosey heard he was dealing with a complaint about the sauna facilities being out of use due to being upgraded, he must have twigged I was ear-wigging so shortly came to see me when the other guests left. He was very polite and I agreed with the manager to improve the sauna it had to close and the new one will be better and bigger. From asking him 20 questions he explained all he and his team have achieved over the past 2 years since he took up employment. I was impressed and they are spending on the area's that guests complain about. While I sat there with him an older couple came up and butted in to personally thank him who actually turned out to be the top manager. They must have been regulars, loved the new TV's in the rooms and thanked him for the birthday cake. Now this personal service is reflected through all the staff especially in the restaurant. The restaurant manager made huge efforts to talk to every guest. Watching him was unbelievable, every mature lady got a smile or a kiss and every child had a pat on the head or if grumbling was handed a colouring book to keep them amused.

Now I have gone on a bit but come on where on earth do you find this service. Who cares that some of the rooms need a little touch up, which they tell me they are doing week by week. I will be back with the kids and wife and I have no doubt my stay will be a good one and they will do there best the handle any grumbles I may have. My advice is find a little gem like this and stick to it. If you have an issue talk to the staff they are there to help especially at the Suncliff. Some of these reviews just amaze me...did we stay in a different hotel. People can be so negative. The Suncliff reflects the traditional seaside Hotel from when I was younger that I stayed in with my parents. Manager and staff do not pay attention to these nasty reviews you carry on doing what your doing and I cant wait to introduce my family to you!

Room Tip: If you have an issue just say something!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2011
Dear Tom,

Glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. It was great to have you.
We aim our time and investment where it is needed most and we find this is generally through feedback form our guests. We listen to all our guests comments and improve where needed most.

The kind of personal service we give here is, in my opinion rarely found in newer hotels as you pointed out. We feel that this service is what draws many of our guests back year after year and is one of the reasons our guests have such an enjoyable stay. This can some times be over looked by more modern hotel chains, whose attraction can be price alone (and not just Lenny Henry!!). I personally think that these days are now past and our rates are quite often as low (if not lower) but our service and other extras such as in house leisure facilities, almost nightly entertainment, fine food, great location and the facility to be able to use our two sister hotels is what makes us so successful along with passionate management that filters down to all our staff. Having worked for this well-knowen major hotel chain myself I feel that training staff with a script is not what people want. We pick staff with passion and personality and this shows in our reviews and in our reputation for warm, friendly and efficient service.

Andrew Potter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

After staying at this hotel for several years now , i still enjoy it every time .The room me and Ernest stay in has been refurbished which was nice. The food , drink and staff were very credible once again.

We do not usually swim but because of the lovely April heat decided to. Its clear there is improvement ,changing rooms are clean , tidy and do the job! The pool was ideal for people of all ages. The sauna was out of order ( mindless vandalism) but we were told a new one was being prepared soon.

The corridors have been updated and we seen so many rooms refurbished as we walked by at a glance.

Its surprises us how people have ridiculed this hotel. The great location , staff give this hotel great character which you do not find anywhere, this takes time and effort. This is why we come back .

If you want a nice relaxing break look no further

Margaret

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank your for taking the time to review your experience at the Suncliff hotel.

I am sure your comments will aid other in making an informed choice when booking accommodation in Bournemouth.

I do hope you see you again.

UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

I recently stayed here as part of a hen weekend so unfortunately the choice of hotel was out of my control. The hotel is very tired and seriously over priced. We were initially given a twin room with an extra bed squeezed in at the back of the hotel, when asked to move we were offered a larger room with 1 double and 1 single bed, the room was a flash back to the 1960's, it certainly had not seen any refurbishment since. The refreshments tray was a joke, 2 mugs, 2 t.bags, 2 coffee sachets. I requested another mug and more t.bags, the maid arrived with another mug and 1 t.bag. The room must have been the worst in the hotel and we were charged £180 for the night. If we hadn't have been with a group we would not have stayed. The gym and sauna were out of order during our stay. Stay away.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2011
Dear reviewer,

The only thing I can derive from your review is that the decoration of your room had older in its decoration. Choosing to focus only on the negative aspect of your stay and not once commenting on: Food Quality, Leisure Facilities, Customer Service, Entertainment ect and all the other great things that we have to offer here.

More tea bags, sugars, coffee, mugs ect all can be obtained from reception free of charge all you need to do is ask. We would even be more than happy to bring these to your room.

Had you have read past reviews and my responses you would have seen that we are undergoing major redecoration. I must stress that the majority of our rooms have now been re-decorated, however even our older style rooms are a great three star standard, they are clean, comfortable and well equipped. We have aslo had a full redecoration of all public areas, you did not feel this was worth reviewing?? Such a shame, as the Tripadvisor community relies on accurate detailed information for potential future guests to make their own minds up on weather what we have to offer, is for them. Tripadvisor is not a place for guests to get their own back on a hotel and its hard working staff because they did not get what they wanted.

Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

This is why people make fun of the British Seaside. The hotel looks fine from the outside, and the website makes much of the Spa and the leisure facilities. DO NOT be fooled. The hotel is grubby, and in dire need of updating and cleaning. The rooms are old fashioned, basic and also in need of updating. Simply folding the loo paper into a point does no make it a better class of hotel. The bathroom was a disgrace, with dripping taps, and huge chips in the enamel of the bath. Holes drilled all over the walls, that presumably used to have something attached to them, have just been left and not filled in or painted over.
There is an all pervasive smell of school dinners wafting about on the lower floors, from the carvery, which is fine if all you want from your food is quantity.
Now, if you are squeamish you may want to skip this bit - The leisure facilties are diabolical. The pool, hot tub and sauna are in the bowels of the hotel, looking up out on to the car park. The pool was opaque, which can sometimes be because of too much chlorine. I was not brave enough to venture in as it was too soupy to see the bottom. My friend went for a dip, and reported back that as there was no evidence of chlorine, it had to be grime and lack of cleaning that made it so soupy. Then we saw two people who looked to be washing themselves in the pool. The lockers were a joke, they had been painted over so many times it was hard to use them, and only a few of them had keys anyway.
We beat a hasty retreat, but not before noticing the hot tub, which looked like a wood pannelled petri dish, and the sauna which had been draped in blue plastic, presumably as it was out of order. The stifling heat in the pool area finished off a very unpleasant experience. We had intented to try the beauty treatments available, but we checked out first thing and headed back home to Bath. Quite frankly if someone had offered to let me move into Fawlty Towers instead I would have jumped at the chance.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
2 Thank yuriko
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2011
Unfortunately another review that is only focused on some negative aspects of our hotel and, might I add, totally blown out of proportion. Our hotel though it may be older in its decoration in a very few areas is in no way “grubby”. Our two House Keepers have a combined experience of well over 50 years at this hotel and their standards are second to none. It is rare to find such pride in ones work these days and I feel this is something that should therefore be praised and not ruined by a heartless review like yours.

We do not fool any of our guests our website and literature is very honest, much of the imagery is done by myself in-house and so therefore we can control and monitor closely the pictures that promote our product. I have just visited our website and the main page does not contain the word “spa” at all, and only twice does the word “leisure” appear, now this is not to say that we don’t have great leisure facilities to offer but I just wanted to point out the integrity of your review to our future guest and users of Tripadvisor.

Our pool is checked periodically by a trained member of staff who carefully monitors the cleanliness of the water. We also have a professional external contractor who comes through the week who conducts a more advanced test on water quality. As if this wasn’t enough, we also have a Water Babies class using the pool sometimes up to three times a week and they will also test the pool water, so to suggest that water contains “grime” is frankly obscene. Please look below at a review posted a day before your where a guest states “The good point was the indoor pool - water was clean and warm” placing lies on Tripadvisor is not helpful to other users of the site who rely on honesty and accurate information.

As I sit here now with over two hundred happy guests in a full hotel, with ‘thank you’ cards on my wall and a tray full of comment cards with warming remarks from hundreds of previous happy guests many of them returning year after year, I find it hard to see how someone could have such a different opinion of our hotel, but I accept that people do indeed have different backgrounds and expectations. I only wish that you would have had the same consideration before placing such a thoughtless review on trip advisor!!
oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

Stayed here for one night with a Groupon deal: on the positive side the hotel is in a good posiiton overlooking the sea, staff were courteous, food was good and generally the main areas were adequate. However the quality of the room can only be described as tatty, the headboard had greasy headmarks, the bed and pillows were very uncomfortable and this was not helped by a large black cobweb hanging over it! Yes the room had a nice new flat screen TV and the view was lovely but in this day and age this type of accommodation is not satisfactory. Once the refurbishing has been complete I am sure this will be a lovely hotel but it does have some way to go.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am glad you found the majority of your stay comfortable and satisfactory.

As you maybe able to read from other Tripadvisor review and my responses we are working hard to update our rooms and we are doing so a very good rate.

I apologise for the missed cobweb above your bed. I will be passing on your comments to the chamber maids and head House Keeper who will I’m sure, be more careful in the future.

I hope to be welcoming you back to Bournemouth and the Suncliff hotel very soon.

Regards,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2011

I was with my friend in The Suncliff last weak, the room was ok, bath too, but the problem was with the lift, form 7 am to 2 pm people speak behind my doors and I hear everything they speak, so I can not sleep very vell. The good point was the indoor pool - water was clean and warm. Maybe in the future we will back to this hotel but never to room near lift.

Room Tip: room near lift is to noisy
Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for writing a review on the Suncliff Hotel.

We do not have a regular issue with rooms by the lift. I feel your experience may have been a one off.

We have a night porter who is here to deal with any issues with noise, if you had called him, he would have been able to deal with the problem.

I am glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay. I hope that you will return to us to enjoy another holiday/break in Bournemouth.

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2011

Regretfully, I had stayed at The Cumberland Hotel, a sister hotel of the Suncliff, just a few weeks before, so during my stay at the Suncliff, I made comparisons to the Cumberland, and it was not on the same level. The receptionist answered the phone instead of serving me, so I was left standing there for several minutes while she spoke to a customer on the phone. And even though I only arrived 30 mins before the official check-in time, I was told that my room was not ready and I would have to come back. This was disappointing, as the Cumberland was so helpful in finding me an available room when I arrived 6 hours early! Luckily this didn't put us out too much, as we spent the time wandering along Bournemouth beach. I'm afraid the staff at reception were the worst part of our stay, as they were reluctant to be hospitable, and very ready to say 'no' to our questions and requests.

When we received the keys to our room, we found it to be very spacious - we had been given a family room even though there were only two of us - and although some work could be done on doing up the bathroom, and replacing the carpets, and improving the quality of pillows, the room was comfortable and satisfactory for the price we had paid. One of the bed covers was covered in sand, probably from the previous guest returning from the beach, but we used a different bed so didn't feel the need to report it.

We had a 3-course dinner on the first night, and like the Cumberland, the service was impeccable in the restaurant. The food arrived so quickly, as the staff were very polite and friendly. The food was very nice, and filled us up well. The breakfast was not as good quality, the food looking a bit dull and tasting a bit bland, but it was sufficient to fill our stomachs. The range of breakfast foods was good, from cereal and pastries to a full english breakfast.

The car park was not very big, and we struggled to find a space. When we did, the space was very small, parked between two other cars, and I spent the stay worrying about my car. I did have a good view of it from the bedroom though, so I could check on it from time to time. I believe the lack of spaces was due to the fact that 2 coach parties were staying at the hotel, and many of the spaces had been reserved for the coaches.

We made use of the swimming pool and jacuzzi facilities at the Suncliff, and these were satisfactory. The changing rooms could do with a proper clean and an upgrade, but were good enough for our one-night stay. We did not go into the gym as there was a scary bellowing voice coming through the door which put us off, but we would have liked to use these facilities too.

Overall, the Suncliff was a step down from the Cumberland - in the service from staff at reception, room quality and food quality - however, as I paid a bit less I cannot say that I didn't expect it. But I would recommend paying the extra to stay at the Cumberland. Our one-night stay at the Suncliff was adequate, and restful, and worth the low price I paid. Thank you for an enjoyable visit.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Naturally the Cumberland being our flagship hotel, stands as being one of (if not the) best three star hotels in Bournemouth. That said we find that the Cumberland is not to everyone’s taste and we cater for just about everyone across the Oceana resort here in Bournemouth. We here at the Suncliff share the same passion and drive as the Cumberland and for some people offer a little more of what they want such as almost nightly entertainment, in-house leisure facilities and during school holidays, a children’s games room/cinema.

I am sorry that my receptionist did not excuse her self before answering the telephone as she should have.
I do feel it is very unfair indeed to make comparisons on check in times as your visits to each hotel were on different dates and room availability may have differed in the two hotels. I strongly believe that my staff would have done the same in offering you a room if it was available to them and like wise the Cumberland would have been unable to offer a room that hadn’t been serviced yet, this has nothing to do with customer service. We always try to cater for our guests requests and do our best, however, there are times where we simply can not, so I am sorry if this disappointed you. My reception staff are not rude they are a very passionate and warm team led by an extremely dedicated front office manager who is a true asset to this hotel and who puts all into her role here. I know your comments will be very damming to her but they will be addressed none the less.

Thank you once again for your comments towards the restaurant staff and the rest of the hotel and I hope that you will come and perhaps try one of our penthouse rooms which maybe more to your specific liking.