“Great”
Review of The Suncliff Hotel

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #24 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Had a great room super value for money. The staff were always helpful and on hand whenever you required help. HUGE improvement is the self serve breakfeast much easier less hassle for us and the staff serving it. Good selection and very tasty will be back again next year. Thank you Suncliff.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2011

Dear Walikingloopylou,

Thank you for such a glowing review of both our hotel and its passionate staff.

Customer service is a big focus for us all here and we place huge emphasis on staff training. We believe that verity and pleasant environment for our guests is what makes us as a group so successful. It can be hard to find such fervent employees but I feel that the hard search Is worth the results it yields.

We listen and take note of all guest feed back and regularly make changes as a direct result of comments from our customers. One of which you highlighted in your review and that was the buffet breakfast. We have found this to be a huge success.

Thank you once again.

Andrew Potter

Write a ReviewReviews (2,122)

Reviewed 14 May 2011

A lovely hotel in a great location. Clean and reasonably sized rooms. Can use the facilities next door at the Cumberland Hotel which includes the swimming pool. But one major drawback. You have to pay for an internet connection. A hotel of this quality really ought to have free wi-fi. Other than that, I would recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2011
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2011

Dear everton1Uk,

Thank you for your comments regarding our rooms and location ans for rating us so highly on these.

Free wi-fi is now fast becoming a ‘standard’ at most hotels and maybe something we may look at in the future. I personally do not feel our T-Mobile hotspot is unreasonable at just over £10 for 24 hours, however for light/casual use we do offer free wi-fi with any purchase next door in the Ventana brasserie and bar (situated in the Cumberland hotel). Many of our guests choose to enjoy the pleasant, vibrant ambiance and make good use of the free wi-fi there.

Thank you once again. I hope to be welcoming you back to Bournemouth and the Suncliff very soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 14 May 2011

I got a Groupon deal on this hotel for 1 night dinner bed & breakfast for two at a silly rate. I wasn't expecting much as it was such a bargain, and was very pleasantly surprised at the whole experience, from the lovely reception staff to the excellent service in the restaurant (this despite it being very busy with a large group booking) and the food, which was very good. I heard a lady at the next table complaining about the size of her starter, but for me it was just enough. Breakfast was a cold and a hot buffet, plentiful and regularly topped up.
Our room (326) was tiny, it just about had room for the essentials, but it was newly decorated and the bathroom was sparkling. It had a less than lovely view of the car park, and was acceptable at a bargain price but I wouldn't heve been best pleased with it had I paid full tariff. Room for improvement with the towels - they were clean and there were enough of them, but they had seen better days!
This hotel is linked with 2 sister hotels either side which means there are a range of bars and other facilities, and it's nicely positioned just across the road from the cliffs and the beach,a nd just a short walk from the pier.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear SilverSurferLondon,

I would like to take the time to thank you for allowing our potential future guest to build up a picture of what they can expect when booking our hotel.

We represent great value and we often have great deals on our rooms and I think this, coupled with great service, fine food, free on site parking, free use of the leisure facilities, almost nightly entertainment we are an obvious choice when staying in Bournemouth.

We have recently received a massive order of band new fluffy white towels and we regularly replace our linen ware and other items to make guests stays as comfortable as possible.

Your kind comments will be read by many of my staff and will provide a huge boost.

Reviewed 13 May 2011

This hotel was more than perfect for our family get together. We were visiting family in Bournemouth while on vacation. We chose this hotel because of the different types of rooms they offered as we booked for a family group.
First of all the location is superb! The hotel is on the east side of Bournemouth on the cliffe top with amazing views. Only 5 minutes from the beach. This area is not on top of all the clubs and pubs but only 5 minutes along the seafront to reach them. The staff were so helpful and accommodating. We requested bedrooms near each other and also 1 table in the restaurant, which we had every morning and never had to remind the restaurant. The family rooms are great, big bedrooms with everyone having their own bed to sleep in.
Food in the restaurant was lovely, buffet breakfast with so much choice. If you are at the hotel on a Sunday you have to try the all day carvery, it is the best!
Our kids loved this hotel, in door pool area, entertainment every night and we even popped over to the hotel next door the Cumberland and used their outdoor pool and had nice lunch outside.
If we do come back to Bournemouth, we wouldn’t think twice about staying anywhere but the Suncliff!

Room Tip: we call the sales team to get a group discount
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2011

Dear cliveable,

Thank you for taking the time to place your thoughts of our hotel the Suncliff here on Tripadvisor. A unique advantage to booking with us is that we do have many different rooms types on offer and we are perfectly geared-up for family get a ways. During the summer months and school holidays we have extra facilities such as a games room, kid’s cinema, table tennis, pool table, indoor swimming pool, two outdoor pools. Not to mention 11 miles of blue flag beaches on our door step, and bags of kids amusements & attractions in Bournemouth town centre.

It’s great to have your comments viewed by our staff and anyone wanting to stay with us in the future.

Best wishes

Reviewed 11 May 2011

I travel all over the UK due to my line of work and I go from Hotel to Hotel. In my eyes you have 2 choices, you either book one from the TV normal room, bog standard bar food and robot staff where you know what your getting which really is a room with basic facilities. Or you find something different.

I believe variety is the spice of life so I always try to book a private or individual hotel. I found the Suncliff On-line and looked at TA it had mixed reviews but was reasonable so decided to make it my home for 4 days.

I Will say I have very little bad to say about this Hotel, yes it is a little tired here and there but you can see that they are updating lots of their facilities. Reception team are anything but helpful and very polite how people can describe them as awful is beyond me!!!

I have 2 kids and being away means I can catch up on reading so spent my evenings in the bar people watching, listening to the entertainment, one early evening a manager came into the bar with guests. Me being nosey heard he was dealing with a complaint about the sauna facilities being out of use due to being upgraded, he must have twigged I was ear-wigging so shortly came to see me when the other guests left. He was very polite and I agreed with the manager to improve the sauna it had to close and the new one will be better and bigger. From asking him 20 questions he explained all he and his team have achieved over the past 2 years since he took up employment. I was impressed and they are spending on the area's that guests complain about. While I sat there with him an older couple came up and butted in to personally thank him who actually turned out to be the top manager. They must have been regulars, loved the new TV's in the rooms and thanked him for the birthday cake. Now this personal service is reflected through all the staff especially in the restaurant. The restaurant manager made huge efforts to talk to every guest. Watching him was unbelievable, every mature lady got a smile or a kiss and every child had a pat on the head or if grumbling was handed a colouring book to keep them amused.

Now I have gone on a bit but come on where on earth do you find this service. Who cares that some of the rooms need a little touch up, which they tell me they are doing week by week. I will be back with the kids and wife and I have no doubt my stay will be a good one and they will do there best the handle any grumbles I may have. My advice is find a little gem like this and stick to it. If you have an issue talk to the staff they are there to help especially at the Suncliff. Some of these reviews just amaze me...did we stay in a different hotel. People can be so negative. The Suncliff reflects the traditional seaside Hotel from when I was younger that I stayed in with my parents. Manager and staff do not pay attention to these nasty reviews you carry on doing what your doing and I cant wait to introduce my family to you!

Room Tip: If you have an issue just say something!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2011

Dear Tom,

Glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. It was great to have you.
We aim our time and investment where it is needed most and we find this is generally through feedback form our guests. We listen to all our guests comments and improve where needed most.

The kind of personal service we give here is, in my opinion rarely found in newer hotels as you pointed out. We feel that this service is what draws many of our guests back year after year and is one of the reasons our guests have such an enjoyable stay. This can some times be over looked by more modern hotel chains, whose attraction can be price alone (and not just Lenny Henry!!). I personally think that these days are now past and our rates are quite often as low (if not lower) but our service and other extras such as in house leisure facilities, almost nightly entertainment, fine food, great location and the facility to be able to use our two sister hotels is what makes us so successful along with passionate management that filters down to all our staff. Having worked for this well-knowen major hotel chain myself I feel that training staff with a script is not what people want. We pick staff with passion and personality and this shows in our reviews and in our reputation for warm, friendly and efficient service.

Reviewed 10 May 2011

After staying at this hotel for several years now , i still enjoy it every time .The room me and Ernest stay in has been refurbished which was nice. The food , drink and staff were very credible once again.

We do not usually swim but because of the lovely April heat decided to. Its clear there is improvement ,changing rooms are clean , tidy and do the job! The pool was ideal for people of all ages. The sauna was out of order ( mindless vandalism) but we were told a new one was being prepared soon.

The corridors have been updated and we seen so many rooms refurbished as we walked by at a glance.

Its surprises us how people have ridiculed this hotel. The great location , staff give this hotel great character which you do not find anywhere, this takes time and effort. This is why we come back .

If you want a nice relaxing break look no further

Margaret

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank your for taking the time to review your experience at the Suncliff hotel.

I am sure your comments will aid other in making an informed choice when booking accommodation in Bournemouth.

I do hope you see you again.

Reviewed 9 May 2011

I recently stayed here as part of a hen weekend so unfortunately the choice of hotel was out of my control. The hotel is very tired and seriously over priced. We were initially given a twin room with an extra bed squeezed in at the back of the hotel, when asked to move we were offered a larger room with 1 double and 1 single bed, the room was a flash back to the 1960's, it certainly had not seen any refurbishment since. The refreshments tray was a joke, 2 mugs, 2 t.bags, 2 coffee sachets. I requested another mug and more t.bags, the maid arrived with another mug and 1 t.bag. The room must have been the worst in the hotel and we were charged £180 for the night. If we hadn't have been with a group we would not have stayed. The gym and sauna were out of order during our stay. Stay away.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2011

Dear reviewer,

The only thing I can derive from your review is that the decoration of your room had older in its decoration. Choosing to focus only on the negative aspect of your stay and not once commenting on: Food Quality, Leisure Facilities, Customer Service, Entertainment ect and all the other great things that we have to offer here.

More tea bags, sugars, coffee, mugs ect all can be obtained from reception free of charge all you need to do is ask. We would even be more than happy to bring these to your room.

Had you have read past reviews and my responses you would have seen that we are undergoing major redecoration. I must stress that the majority of our rooms have now been re-decorated, however even our older style rooms are a great three star standard, they are clean, comfortable and well equipped. We have aslo had a full redecoration of all public areas, you did not feel this was worth reviewing?? Such a shame, as the Tripadvisor community relies on accurate detailed information for potential future guests to make their own minds up on weather what we have to offer, is for them. Tripadvisor is not a place for guests to get their own back on a hotel and its hard working staff because they did not get what they wanted.