“Don't waste your money..”
Review of The Suncliff Hotel

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #24 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Booked the hotel over the internet after reviewing the rooms. What we viewed was not what we got! A stench of chlorine from the pool, the hardest bed in the world combined with very average bathroom facilities. Not worth the £135 per night we payed. Not a good experience.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank kckeef
Andrew P, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Dear kckeef,

Clearly your review and remarks do not mirror the majority of our guests opinions.

We aim to please most of our guests, most of the time. We are fully aware that being such a large and popular hotel serving up to 600+ guests per week we cannot always please everybody.

I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed on this occasion. It is always helpful if I am made aware of this so that I can take steps to improve a situation. If I am not offered this opportunity, I am clearly unable to help resolve any issues.

I hope your next review on Tripadvisor will be a little more informative to its users. Please try to provide information on all aspect of your stay and not just the negative as all information is useful to both us and our future potential guests.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

I Stayed with my sister at the end of March. We were supposed to travelling down the weekend before but my sister became very ill, so a huge thank you for tranferring our weekend, even though the weather was'nt quite as good we had a lovely weekend.
Everything & I mean everything was absolutely wonderful.The reception staff were all lovely & even gave us our voucher for a bucks fizz which we wre supposed to have the weekend before. The room with a beautiful seaview & huge balcony was "just what the doctor ordered" & was spotlessly clean. We were staying half board so we had evening meals as well as breakfast. I am so glad we did as the food was absolutely gorgeous, A huge compliment to the chef & all the restaurant staff who were so attentive & friendly.We had a lovely swim in the indoor pool, had a good old boogie to the fab music on the Saturday night & kept the room on for a few extra hours on the Sunday (another added bonus).because we just did'nt want to go home.Every member of the staff were lovely & desereve a payrise :-)
We would love to be able to say it was a horrilble experience & keep this gem to ourselves but that would be selfish.
So thank you for a lovely break, we will definitely be back. Maybe even share it with the Husbands next time.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank FallenAngel52

Dear FallenAngell52,

I am glad we were able to transfer your booking on this occasion. It seems you didn’t allow the less than desirable weather to spoil your stay.

I will pass on your kind words to all the relevant departments. We value all guests’ feedback.

It is clear that you took advantage of all we have to offer and I thank you for taking the time to write about your experience on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Since my last review about the Suncliff the Director of the Oceana Group who own both the Suncliff and the sister hotel, The Cumberland, has become personally involved and has resolved the double charging issues and I have now received a full refund. This matter was dealt with in a very professional manner by the director. The problem arose after our group were transferred from the Suncliff to the sister hotel next door, The Cumberland . The comments made in the previous review were based on a short visit to the Suncliff whilst trying to sort out the booking charge issue and a more reflective opinion of this hotel would be that it is ideally located for all the sights of Bournmouth, the public areas of the hotel are nicely decorated and the staff attentive.

The Cumberland, where we stayed for the weekend, has just had a refurbishment and it shows. Both the public areas and the rooms are decorated to a high standard, with my room having superb views of the coast. The staff were always on hand when required. Breakfast was good with a wide selection and served by attentive staff. Again this hotel is ideally sited for all that Bournmouth has to offer. We also felt that it was very reasonable priced for the standard of service and accommodation that was on offer. This hotel would give you everything that you would need to enjoy a stay in Bournmouth !

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dyton
Andrew P, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Dear Dyton,

How fantastic it is to learn that you are now satisfied with the outcome of your stay. After reading for first review I was more than confident that we could resolve the issue.

I appreciate you taking the time to amend your posting on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

A great location on the south side of Bournemouth. Check in was very efficient and friendly; the Reception staff had also been very helpful answering some enquiries prior to our visit. The restaurant service was very good as mentioned in many other reviews. The Maitre d' runs things very efficiently and with a pleasant manner; the food was very good, with plenty of choice during our visit.
The only negative items to mention were; the bedroom was recently decorated, but, the bottom of the bed was split and some of the filling was spilling out onto the floor. The bathroom was in need of updating /decorating. The public lounge area was a good size with plenty of seating; however several of the arm chairs were worn and clearly past their best.
As has been mentioned, the hotel is in the process of refurbishing many areas; that is good as the faults mentioned slightly spoil an otherwise very good hotel experience.

Room Tip: Definately ask for sea view, fanatastic views. Avoid being to near the lift if possible.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank YorkshireRamblers
Andrew P, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Dear YorkshireRamblers,

Thanks for your wonderful comments. We are very lucky indeed to boast one of the best locations in Bournemouth.

We work hard to build a team of passionate, professional individuals and we are immensely proud of their efforts. Thank you for reflecting this in your review.

I will address the broken bed with my maintenance engineer straight away so thank you for highlighting this important information. We have a rolling redecoration program designed carefully to underline any works that need addressing around the building. I can assure you, your comments have not gone un-noticed.

Best wishes, I look forward to welcoming you back to the Suncliff very soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

Nice hotel, very clean and a nice stuff interested to maintain a nice atmosphere.
Very good breakfast, planty and very tasteful and the personell very well organised, very attentive. I have to mention Pavlina, a very nice receptionist, very kind and helpful.
It was a nice stay, and I'll be back at a time.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank HoneyLilly
Andrew P, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Dear HoneyLilly,

We always love to see photos from our guests. Unfortunately we rarely find people share them though so an extra big thank you for sharing your snaps of the Suncliff. I am very confident that I’m sure readers of our Tripadvisor page will find very useful indeed.

Atmosphere makes a huge difference to the feel of a hotel. We make every attempt to keep our hotel fresh, friendly and vibrant. I am glad to see this reflected in your review.

Our food is another big focus. We take time to sorce local and fresh produce for our guest to enjoy.

Thank you for the special mention to Pavlina too ;-)

Andrew Potter

N.B. Unfortunately Tripadvisor has ignored many repeated requests by myself to allow us to remove old travellers photos from before our current owners took over the hotel and we invested huge amounts of profit in making huge and vast improvements. I find this a grave shame that Tripadvisor would allow such inaccuracies to reside on their site. I don’t feel this is useful for users of the website and in my view goes against their policy of “Get the Truth and Go”.
However to be as helpful as we can I regularly update the management photographs and we also use social media such as Facebook and Youtube to keep our customers up to date with our current imagery as well as our own website. Head to our website to view new pictures of our product.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

We've just returned home after a five night stay at the Suncliff. As on previous visits we were greeted with a warm welcome at the reception desk and the staff, without exception, were friendly and helpful. It was our third visit and we were so lucky on this occasion to have been allocated a free upgrade to a room overlooking the sea. We enjoyed the amazing view over the cliffs to Boscombe Pier one way and Bournemouth Pier the other. Definitely worth the extra money to secure such a room if the budget permits. If not, and those with sea view are filled with paying guests, you may have to settle for a standard room at the side or rear of the Hotel. At least, at the Suncliff, we have found the standard rooms to be clean and comfortable, so even without the free upgrade, you will get what you paid for.

Breakfasts consist of a wide selection of cold buffet along with fruit, yogurts, juice etc., hot creamy porridge, and the traditional full English Buffet Breakfast. Everything is nicely cooked. No hint of the "greasy spoon" here! So all compliments to the Chef and Kitchen Staff. The Restaurant Manager has everything running efficiently, the staff are friendly and attentive, making breakfast a very relaxing and pleasant experience.

Given that the Suncliff is situated in a prime position, within easy reach of the beach, and all that Bournemouth has to offer, we would recommend it as being excellent value for money all round, and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JepWS
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank your for taking the time to review your experience at the Suncliff hotel.

I am sure your comments will aid other in making an informed choice when booking accommodation in Bournemouth.

I do hope you see you again.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Upon arrival we were told we had been upgraded to a seaview room for free which was a lovely surprise and great start to the holiday. All of the staff were fabulous, nothing was too much trouble and they were so friendly. I do agree with some of the reviews whcih say the hotel is "dated" in parts but that did not impact on our stay, and we could see it was a working progress so you really can't complain about that.

Breakfast was brilliant, again the staff were great and there was a good choice of food, from cereals and yoghurts to the usual fry up. From what we saw the hotel was clean throughout.There are a good range of facilities including a pool table, bar, swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi and squash courts.

The rates are extremely reasonable especially when compared with other similar hotels in Bournemouth. For us it was in a good location as it overlooks the sea, and is only a short stroll to the Pier, gardens and town centre. There are a number of nice bars and restaurant within easy walking distance.

My brother has booked to come to this hotel after I recommended it, and my parents are considering booking a holiday here later in the year. We are also hoping to return this year.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room with seaview as it really is beautiful and great to wake up to in the morning...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sjc237
Andrew P, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear Sarah C,

Our team are a colossal asset to our hotels and are the central focus of our entire operation. I am elated to see this reflected in your review.

We do try to maintain our traditional feel. I can’t help but feel that occasionally this can be confused with “dated” however I feel that by staying true to our long-established look and feel we are providing a warm friendly environment for our guests to enjoy.

I do strongly feel that we represent great value for money, I am glad to see that you agree.

And finally, to see that you passed on your experiences to not only your family and friends but now to all our future guest who will read this review. On behalf of all of the staff at the Suncliff, thank you very much.