“Should I be writing a review????”
Review of The Suncliff Hotel

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Bath, United Kingdom
“Should I be writing a review????”
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Made a booking through booking.com and paid £45. On arrival at the hotel were put in the penthouse suite Beatrice would should have been £179.00. From a £45 point of view could not fault it in any way. The room is beautifully decorated in browns and creams with a vibrant green feature wall. There are bi folding doors which on a warm sunny day you would open to sit out on the balcony. (Or like us sit out there in February in your coat and gloves) On the balcony there were very comfortable cane chairs and a glass top table with extra cushions if you wanted them for the chairs within the room. You get a full view up and down the vast sea front of Bournemouth which at night looks magical. The arch way through to the tea and coffee area and sofa just separates the room nicely and again you can get good views of the sea. The bathroom is large with an excellent shower over the bath and decorated in keeping with the rest of the room with a black glass wall running along the back. Along with this room you have use of the indoor swimming pool, sauna and hot tub. There is also entertainment most evenings in the lounge. We also paid the room service charge for breakfast in our room.

So now onto my £179.00 comments. If I had paid the full amount I think I would have asked for a small refund. The mattresses on the twin beds were not that great and you ended up with a spring in your rib. Also the pillow cases on one of the beds had been put on inside out and the quilt cover had a bit of a rib in it. With the sun streaming in the windows in the morning the dark furniture showed up all its finger marks. There was one lovely tie back on one of the curtains but the others were either missing for it was just the cord left. The sink hot tap was loose, as was the cold tap on the bath and the rubber along the bottom of the shower screen was displaced so the shower leaked onto the floor when you had a shower. There was a bit of a tricky problem with closing the door from the inside you have to give it a bit of a pull to get the door to close and then lock. When we went to use the hot tub it obviously had been used a lot during the day as when you got in it was crystal clear but when you turned it on it became very cloudy and you could see what looked like soap scum floating around on the surface.

For me all of these things are nothing major and could be rectified with a little more attention to detail. Dark furniture is a bugger to keep looking clean as it shows every single mark. A little more attention to the cleaning would rectify this easily. If customers do not report any maintenance issues how are the hotel to know what is wrong. I am sure the cleaner does not have a shower when cleaning so would not have noticed that the shower leaked or the cold tap was loose. Just by the previous resident filling out the maintenance card, which is available in the room and as we did, I was assured by reception that this would be passed to maintenance. Just replacing the tie backs would finish off the room nicely. And if the hotel is really busy then checking the hot tub on a more regular basis would also solve the problem of cloudy water. The breakfast was delivered but without a table within the room you had no option but to eat a full fried breakfast in bed. Just the addition of a small table by the two chairs or a coffee table by the sofa would solve this problem.

If you have a special anniversary or a special occasion and you want to push the boat out with just these small changes I would highly recommend a stay in the penthouse suites at the front of the hotel a must.

But I would just like to say to the Suncliff Hotel from two full time working - mothers, wife’s and grandmothers a very big thank you for an excellent, relaxing stay

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank cheyanne50
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
The answer to your question is ....Yes, of course you should write a review on your stay.

Many guests these days are very quick to point out fault and not praise the positive aspects of their stay. This review Is one of the best I have received in a long time in the respect it praises the hotel but gives some constructive criticism we can use to improve our product for future guests.
It does sound like you got an amazing deal and upgraded to boot! The penthouses are a lovely treat and I am very proud to have them within the Suncliff. They are a very modern style and the views are amazing. (even better in the summer)
I am happy to see you enjoyed the entertainment and leisure facilities.
We are looking into the issues you came across during your stay and Things are sometimes missed as we are only human but once it is brought to our attention we do our best to rectify and/or help the guest in question.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with this Hotel. Having only paid £89 for the 2 of us which included B&B,dorset cream tea, 3 course meal & a bottle of wine, I really didn't expect much at all. The room was spacious & clean, the staff were polite & attentive, the 3 course meal wasn't 5 star but was very good & breakfast was plentiful.All in all, Very good value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BangonNosher
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2013
BangonNosher

Our January deals this year have been our best ever, and just shows there are bargains out there if you look hard enough. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Suncliff and thank you for posting your comments supporting the Hotel and its Staff.

I hope you will come back to us in the future and maybe visit in the summer and visit Bournemouth’s amazing beaches.

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2013

On Arrival we had no problems parking the car, was greeted by very pleasant staff. The hotel is very clean and all the staff are lovely. Was disappointed in the size of the double room which we had booked, there was less than a foot of space at the bottom and around the bed, we are not large people but I would imagine it being a struggle to move round the room if we were. Electrical plugs are situated behind the dressing table and bed so not the most ideal place. Bathroom was clean and plenty of hot water. It was very busy on the Friday night but in a good way, nice to see so many people enjoying the atmosphere of the hotel. We never used the swimming pool or sauna but from what we saw it looked fine.
Breakfast was good and was plenty of choice.
Location is good you can walk to the shops and the pier, took a couple of walks down the beach which I have to say is lovely with its little beach huts.

Room Tip: My only problem with this hotel is the room size.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank donna1969
donna1969

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay, I am so glad you enjoyed your time at the hotel. We are reviewing plug sockets at the moment due to the amount of gadgets and gizmo's people bring away with them these days so I will keep an eye out for any mis-placed ones. Thank you for pointing this out.

I would also say that if you are ever unhappy with the room you have been allocated please just come and see us at reception and we will do whatever we can to help you. All our rooms are different sizes, shapes and decor plus we are still undergoing refreshing our bedroom stock.

Once again thank you for supporting us on TA
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

This is a traditional seaside hotel but one that has had some care lavished on it. The food was plentiful and well cooked and the staff were very friendly.

My only complaint was that they kept asking for my credit card even though I had paid in full and was buying drinks for cash, apparently it is their policy but after steadfastly refusing to give them my details they relented. All a bit petty and not good customer service, they need to review their procedures.

Graham-Ellid

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay, I am glad you were happy here at the Suncliff.
As far as reception taking card details is concerned this is done due to many issues we have had in the past and also for guests own security. If your card was stolen and someone used it to book hotel accommodation we need to have a way of double checking the people stood in front of us is the owner of the card paying. We don’t have these policies just for the sake of it, and we are following many other hotels that are also in the same predicament. I’m afraid it is a sign of the times. I apologise if this offended you but I can assure you it was not intentionally done.
Camborne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Great place to stay if you like sea views and walking. Was close to the city center and close to Boscombe where our sons lives. The price was excellent as we had a January deal and having stayed in a fair few hotels over the years, i found this one to be the most comfortable to sleep in. The only thing i can suggest is you get some thicker pillows as had to ask for more, but hey, if that's the only fault then that makes this the best hotel around. Sorry i didn't get to try the food, too many late nights out on the beer so didn't even make it for breakfast. Will try harder next time to try it all . Will be back again!!! Cheers to all the staff, all friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review and support, I hope you had a great time seeing your sons and that you will use us in the future should you return to Bournemouth.
I will speak with our Housekeeping department concerning the pillows, we have plenty in stock should anyone need more but when we replace them we are now buying a better quality, that is the same for our duvets too.

Reviewed 29 January 2013

I was overall happy with the standard of accommodation and cleanliness for the price I paid but unfortunately cut myself on a sharp piece of plastic on the window sill. I also asked for a quiet room but was placed next to the lift. As I said I was happy overall and the location is excellent for walking to the seafront (5 mins) but would not recommend for young children.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank sal77793
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
Sal77793

Thank you for posting your comments, Im sorry you had a problem with the window sill, I have asked the maintenance team to look into this as most of our windowsils are as standard wither glossed wood or the type you will have in a double glazed unit at home.

We dont normally have complaints about our lift being noisy, I am sorry this was the case, however you did recieve a sea view room which was a free upgarde which is a bonus considering your room was a very very reasonable rate.
I am glad you enjoyed our facilities and found the hotel overall satisfactory, we have many families use us through the year and over all are very pleased with what we have to offer, so your comment about not being suitable for the young puzzles me.

Many Thanks
South Wales
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Have just returned from an all inclusive trip to the Suncliff and would like to commend the Manager and all his Staff for a really enjoyable stay.
My husband and I have stayed at many hotels in the past but the Staff at the Suncliff are without a doubt some of the best we have had the pleasure of meeting. They could not do enough for us, the bar staff, reception, porters, cleaners and restaurant staff were absolutely fantastic. (We especially loved Veronica in the Restaurant and Jose - real characters)
The food was always piping hot and plentiful, even the plates were heated before our main meal.
Although not a modern hotel, the rooms were comfortable and clean, they could do with some upgrading but to us this was a minor matter
There was also entertainment each evening - the couple who sang on the Friday evening were lovely.
We never sampled the Leisure activities but those in our party said the pool was lovely.
Well done to all at the Suncliff, we look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Obviously sea view rooms are better
2 Thank Rednana
Rednana

Thank you for posting your review, we have had many big birthday parties the last few weeks, every time I am in the Restaurant the service team are breaking out into song.

I will pass your comments onto the staff, I agree we may not be the most modern hotel being a traditional seaside resort hotel but we are proud to be one of the friendliest and helpful in Bournemouth. The staff work very hard to make every guest feel welcome and look after them while they are with us. I am glad you could see this during your stay.

Once again I hope you will return to us and in the near future.