“A hotel for much older generations”
Review of The Suncliff Hotel

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A hotel for much older generations”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I booked a two night stay at the Suncliff with my boyfriend for a late half term break as part of a LivingSocial deal. We arrived on the Sunday afternoon and were greeted by very friendly staff. We were upgraded to a sea view room which was very generous and thoughtful of the staff.

We were the yongest couple by at least 30 years so do not choose this hotel if you are looking for a younger atmosphere. Catered very much for older people, dated decorations, dated rooms and more traditional food.

The pool had too much chlorine and the hot tub was in poor condition, the changing facilities were absolutely freezing but the location was excellent for the beach and walking to the town.

I would not return as the hotel was just so dated, and was ideal for much older generations. We were made very welcome throughout our stay but had I known that the hotel catered almost exclusively for older people I would not have booked, it made a great difference to our experience as decoration, entertainment and food were focussed solely on the mass of older generations that visited the hotel each evening. Breakfast was served 7-9am so no lay-ins!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Rhiannon D

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments regarding your stay at the Suncliff. I am glad to see the room and staff impressed you.

I feel some of your comments regarding the age of the guests a little unfair, we do not focus our attention mainly on our older cliental, we also cater for many families, as well as corporate business and we do deals such as living social and Groupon to attract a younger age group also.

The leisure facilities are pending some improvements but with the weather being sooo bitter the changing rooms are a little chilly, I apologise for this.

The breakfast is actually served from 07,30-0930 midweek and 08.00-10.00 weekend. Also our entertainers are always open to requests and can cater for any type of audience.

I am sorry to hear you will not be returning especially as the staff and location impressed you. I feel maybe you should try us again during the summer months as Bournemouth and the hotel becomes more vibrant and lively.

My best wishes and thank you once again for your comments

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
Sheffield
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Just returned from the Suncliff on a 4 night stay stay with a coach group. The hotel is in a great position. Most of the staff are friendly although a couple were most unhelpful. We reported our mattress in our bedroom was worn out - we were literally sleeping on the springs, after reporting this for the first time nothing at all was done about it so after sleeping on it for 2 nights we reported it again - on the third night we had a second blanket on this mattress - still no new mattress. Not very happy as the mattress was only fit for a skip - I do not expect this in a 3 star hotel but after reporting it twice obviously nothing was going to be done about this. We also reported that the shower screen had no seal on it so water leaked all over the floor when we showered, nothing was done about this either. It was a very cold week, our bedroom was adequately heated although the public bar and lounge were very cold, I asked if the heating was on and was told it was but there was not really enough radiators in there to heat it enough. This was apparent but on account of the extreme cold weather surely a couple of portable heaters should have been put in there. From what I saw of the entertainment it was very good.
The staff in the restaurant were very good, although it was also very cold in there too. The food was lovely but sadly the evening meal was never hot. Again I appreciate it was a very cold week and I know food does go cold quickly when the temperature is so low but we were served so quickly after each course it was obvious that the food was plated and just being kept warm ready to be served rather than plated to order. We did send our meals back on one occasion and we then got them replaced hot, but the same happened again the following night. On departure we were asked to place our cases outside our bedroom at 7.30am although cases were not taken until well after 8.00am and the driver was still waiting for cases at 8.20am and reception had to be asked twice if a porter was attending to this. On the whole this is a great hotel but could be much better if there was better communication.

1 Thank debseal
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
debseal

Thank you for leaving your comments on your recent stay.

I must say that your opening line commenting on unhelpful staff does come as a shock as we really try hard on our customer service so I apologise if this was the case. We are changing many mattresses in our hotel group and I am not sure why this was not the case with your room, I will investigate and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We have experienced some extreme weather all over the UK but being near the sea it is very chilly indeed causing the cold bar area, staff are on hand though to help where possible.

We invest a lot of time and money into our entertainment and hand select our acts so I am glad you enjoyed this

I have reviewed the comment cards from last week and I must say that your comments about cold food are the only one I have received. But with the cold weather this can happen especially when serving over 200 guests. I will guarantee the food in our kitchen is ALWAYS plated to order and never pre plated. We have a full brigade of chefs and are proud of the meals we serve.

As for the cases, you are correct that all cases are asked to be outside by 7.30, and then when the porter comes in at 7.45 he starts to gather the cases and bring them down. I started work at 7.15am that day and the drivers were already asking for cases at 7.30. I pulled the leisure cleaner and a waiter to help get cases from the floors as I could tell the drivers were eager to set off. We even helped take them to the coach and opened breakfast 30 minutes early for guests. The cases were all down by 08.30, I feel this is more than reasonable considering the amount and cannot believe that people would see this as a problem, we are human not robots.

Over all I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope you will return to the hotel in the future.
Woodley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2013

It was very cold outside with snowy flurries, frost and windy weather - but inside the hotel we had a very warm welcome. The staff at the suncliff made us feel great and there was a lot of laughter and fun from all of them. Room was comfortable and homely, food excellent and plentiful. As it was out of season the hotel was being 'spruced up' as we travelled just before the easter break - not too much disruption. The pool was like a comfortable warm bath!! thank you to all the staff!

Heather K

Thank you for your review, The weather has been terrible, sooo cold! I made the mistake of going to the Lake District for a break and I did not have the luxury of a heated pool. Needless to say I was freezing all week, I should have stayed in Bournemouth.

Your kind comments have been passed on to the staff and I’m sure you will agree I cannot wait until the summer arrives!

I hope you will visit us again
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Stayed here with a Groupon deal which was great valuefor money. Included afternoon tea, dinner and breakfast. My friend and I are in our 30's, and we were perhaps a few generations younger than the other patrons, however this meant we had exclusive use of the gym facilities so could be worse!
The swimming pool was a great added feature. Dinner and breakfast were both buffets, with average quality food, but again, good value.
The hotel bar was open 24 hours which was useful, coming in from a few drinks,for a nightcap. Hotel staff extremely friendly and helpful, creating a relaxed atmosphere.
The communal areas were quite dated, but our room had obviously undergone a recent revamp, so made for a comfortable stay.
All in all, great value for the money spent.

1 Thank Rebecca T
Rebecca T,

Thank you for posting your comments regarding your stay at the Suncliff Hotel,

The Groupon offer was a brilliant deal and I must admit a popular one too. The pool is a lovely addition and the leisure area is a facility we are looking to make improvements this year so it will be even better.

I hope you will return to us in the near future and if you are after a deal give us a call and we will always match any deals on offer

Best wishes
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Just got back from our stay at the Suncliff and have to say cannot find fault with the place.Yes it could be classed as a little dated but for the money you pay it is great value,the staff are excellent very friendly and helpfull,breakfast is good rooms are very clean. Would definately stay again.

Room Tip: Bar prices a little expensive. Dont think when the bar closes that it for drinks because the night p...
Kim Mark N

Thank you for your comments; I am glad you enjoyed your stay!

The Suncliff is a Traditional sea side hotel, even though we are not as modern as some we provide many added extra's like the heated pool, entertainment and room service to mention a few. Also we work very hard on customer service and our meals served within the hotel.

I hope you will return again, maybe in the summer when you can use the beautiful sandy beaches.

My best wishes
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed on the 17th March for two nights we had a good size sea view room which was clean and very warm, the staff were so nice and friendly the food was exellent buffet breakfast was the best we have ever had in bournemouth and we have stayed in many hotels, every one we spoke to couldn't praise the hotel enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in 308 it had sea view and small balcony 307 had a large balcony
ubleyx

Thank you for you short but positive review, the sea views are amazing and worth paying a little extra for.

I hope you will return to us in the near future!

Best wishes
Westbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Having been looking forward to this weekend away for some time mainly to see Micky Flanagan at the BIC. We decided to make it a weekend away by choosing the Suncliff Hotel for two night stay as it had a reasonably good over looking the see location. And from the details we viewed and read about booked the two nights BB for £121.00. On arrival we found the staff very welcoming and helpfull. As we arrived early we booked in was allocated room 23 but could not get in the room as it was not quite ready. Not a problem so we went into town had lunch and came back a few hours later. On entering to the room this was where the disapointment started as allthough the room as comfortable, it looked tired but adequate. We went out for the evening to the BIC, which was a very good experience. On arriving back arround 11pm, we went to bed. This was when the real dissapointment started arround 1am what must have been a Stag Party arrived back, no problem with that, except the noise they made was awfull, mainly as the rooms and the narrow pasage way to the rooms where so close together. And I suppose because the Hotel is old there is nothing to dampen the noise levels between the rooms and the passage way. But as we were young once my wife and I laughed it off. Except for when one of the lads was locked out of his room and decied to sing Cwum Ba Ya until he was allowed back in. Anyway eventually it went quiet and we got to sleep again until the Plumbing started to play drums to us, or thats what it sounded like. It seemed when some one flushed a loo or opened a tap, the pipes started banging, not a great nights sleep that night. The second night was better at least no Stag Parties. But the Pulmbing started again arround 5 am. But in the Hotels defence the Breakfast was brilliant, possibly made up for the night noises. So I would advise if you are allocated a room from 16 to 33 that are on the ground floor. Ask if you can be moved as you will also find the noise levels too high to be able to sleep peacfully all night.

Room Tip: Sorry I do not have any tips except try the Breakfasts as they were brilliant
Terry M

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at the Suncliff,

As an older building there are sometimes things that are just out of our control, as I’m sure you would agree the structure of the hotel corridors being one of them. I would say that we do have a night porter on duty through the night who you can contact by calling the reception. Both our night porters have many years experience and can normal ease or sort such complaints. But I thank you for your understanding. We would also be happy to move anyone if we have the availability.

Thank you for your comments regarding the breakfast, for a 3 * hotel I also think it has a great choice and ample amount to set you up for the day.

I hope you will come back and use us again should there be any more shows you wish to see at the BIC.

Best Wishes