“Birthday treat”
Review of The Suncliff Hotel

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Just back from a 6 day break @ Suncliff ,food & service wonderful as always plus a few special treats for my birthday like the cake & massive sparkler .The food is so good I had to use the pool & gym every day to try & burn off a few calories,both are free but in many hotels you pay to use the gym.Similarly I have stayed in palatial 4&5 star hotels that cannot live with the Suncliff for food & service .The Suncliff is not palatial but has the best atmosphere I have ever experienced but clients do book standard rooms &expect to get penthouse/sea views & complain when they can't get them without paying extra.This is definitely a"how can I help you hotel" & not just a script response,this applies to all staff from manager to porters,chambermaids,waitress,bar staff & of course reception who if you have a problem is the place to start I just mentioned our mattress appeared to have a spring poking through & within a very short time it was sorted,
Entertainers here are also very good especially Mick Moran & Carpentones who are great to dance to.I have lost count of the number of times we have stayed here always consistant quality & I would say the Valentine Gala dinner was probably the best dinner I have ever had.Looking forward to going again as soon as finances permit

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view they are incredible or if really want to splash out go for penthouse
1  Thank Geoff O
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2013

. Geoff O,

Thank you for your positive review of the Suncliff.

I love the fact you have captured the spirit of the Suncliff within your review! Good food, service and a friendly helpful attitude from all staff.

We work very hard to improve our product in all areas on a daily basis, using guest feedback and improving the hotel itself by updating bedrooms and facilities.

Regular guests always comment on how much we have improved over the years and support us by returning again and again. I personally thank you for your support and your kind comments regarding the staff it means so much and makes a very difficult job a lot easier, if only all guests were as positive and understanding in their comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future where I am sure you will once again enjoy the warm hospitality of the Suncliff Hotel

Reviewed 20 April 2013

Nice hotel with good helpful staff but the thin walls meant we didn't sleep too well as the noise from next door, inside the corridors and from the street just kept us awake and woke us up early. Ok but wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank redbourn
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

redbourn

Thank you for leaving your comments, I wish you contacted the reception and maybe we could have allocated you a quieter room. I am a light sleeper so know how annoying this can be. My staff would always try their best to help anyone having such issues.
I am sorry to see that you wouldn’t return. With the size of the hotel we have and 5 floors I’m sure we could allocate a quieter room if you did decided to return.
Best Wishes

Reviewed 19 April 2013

My wife and I spent 3 days here, I paid a little extra for a penthouse suite as a surprise I couldn't have wished for more she loved it. After retiring 5 years ago we have been lucky enough to go away for a few days a year up and down the country staying in various hotels this one has definitely got our mark of approval. I could not fault the service,the cleanliness,the food and our room was fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff help if needed was always there. I would and have recommended the Suncliff Bournemouth. With one final word my special thanks go to Sam on reception who's lovely smile was there to welcome us. ( hope she gets employee of the month award )

Room Tip: Ignore nasty reports they'd probably pick faul with the Savoy.ok and if you reserve a penthouse...
1  Thank David L

David L,
I am so glad you both enjoyed your stay at the hotel and mainly the Penthouse suite.
I do hope you will visit again, and I will pass your comments on to Sam. She is new to the Suncliff but I feel she fits in very well, helpful with a bubbly personality.
My best wishes

Reviewed 18 April 2013

I booked a standard room in this hotel and had to go with my partner through a warren of corridors to find it. When found albeit clean and pleasant it was small and claustrophobic with views onto the back street, so I upgraded to a room with a sea view for £20 extra per night, The new room was much better with lovely views of the sea from the bed, perched as the hotel is on a cliff top and with bed quite high and window low. Two chairs and table by the windows too, so that was good.

They have an indoor pool which was tepid and murky, I suppose with chlorine, but good. The spa bath had been decommissioned as apparently too expensive to run, and they are still wondering about what to do in this area next. The sauna was just a towel drying room, with no emergency button, so I suppose this whole centre is rigged up for the old and retired, it is that sort of hotel. The adjacent hotels, to either side, have outdoor facilities, one a good pool and the other a ha'penny puddle with some greek effigies around it.

You can walk easily to Bournemouth from the hotel, along the road, or take the lift which you pay for or steps further down to walk along the promenade.

I did not dine there as the food looked too expensive and not worth the trouble, but that is my opinion. Breakfast was not included in the deal I got so I did not have it, as it would have cost £15 each which I deem to be far too expensive.

So in summary a nice enough hotel, but not one I would rush back to.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the rabbit hutches and get a room with a sea view

FleetwoodFan,

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your upgrade to a sea view room more suitable to your taste.
As far as the leisure is concerned the hot tub has been taken out of action not due to being too expensive, I’m not sure where this reason came from but because we are looking to install a facility that will be better received by our guests such as a steam room or experience shower.
The sauna is on a time control so I can only assume that if it was not very hot the timer had run out. We have a sign and telephone explaining to contact the reception and we would switch it back on for you.
How can you possible say the food looked too expensive and not worth the trouble, what are you basing this on? We give residents a discounted rate and for a four course menu at £21 I feel this is very reasonable. The breakfast is also only £5.95 for continental and £10.95 for the continental and Full English, this includes tea/coffee and choice of juices. Being a buffet you can choice what you like and pretty much have as much as you like so again I don’t understand why you thought this was £15.

I feel some of your comments are very misleading mainly with the value and worth of the food we serve also comments about rabbit hutches and not being able to afford to run the hot tub. Such comments are very unhelpful for the TA community and the Hotel.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

Went to the Suncliff Hotel for Mothers Day Lunch & I have to say the service & food were outstanding. They extremeley busy but nothing was too much trouble for them. I couldn't fault the experience, it was simply brilliant!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank NessiK
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

NessiK

Thank you for your kind comments!

Our Sunday carvery is very popular and I believe amazing value for money. I am pleased to see you enjoyed your experience and hope you will return again soon! We also run a loyalty scheme so should you return again ask a member of staff and they would be happy to explain this to you.

Best wishes

Reviewed 14 April 2013

just stayed at this hotel 12th to14th april 2013 in bournemouth great loction right on east cliff next to beach brill brill brill clean modern room with flat screen TV the whole of the hotel seemed clean.
Nice in door pool good entertainment polite and helpful staff sleep quality good.We will be staying at this hotel again. Not sure what food was like as didnt eat this time.

Room Tip: we stayed on 3rd floor seemed quite

weekenders999

I am so glad you enjoyed your break at the Suncliff, Thank you for taking the time to post a review, it is a shame you never had the chance to dine with us.

I hope you will return soon when the sun is shining.

Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night. The staff were very pleasant and the hotel very clean but bedroom was poor . The shame is that a hotel in such a prime sea frount position is so down market and furnished in such bad taste . I felt I was transported back in time - how sad !

• Stayed: April 2013

harper18

Thank you for your comments regarding the staff, I don’t agree that the hotel is badly furnished, again I would point out that the hotel is a traditional sea side hotel, we are not trying to be a flash modern hotel. We are relaxing and comfortable and we focus on our guest relations; we also provide great food and service along with various facilities including leisure and entertainment. To down grade us just due to the decor I feel is a little unfair but i understand we all have differences in taste.

If you saw our reception they could have shown you a redecorated room or maybe looked at upgrading you to one of our more modern penthouse rooms. They will always do their best to ensure every guest is comfortable.

I hope you will come back in the future and try us again and maybe look at some other rooms?