“Good but could be better”
Review of The Suncliff Hotel

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Edlesborough
“Good but could be better”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We enjoyed our stay as the weather was glorious. The hotel is quite nice but could do with a bit of updating. The staff are really good - helpful and charming. Our breakfast and lunch were very good but dinner was awful - I think the chef needs some retraining!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Paulette 1810

Thank you for your comments and I am glad to see overall you enjoyed your stay. We have now been graced with beautiful weather and there is no better place to be when the sun shines!

I have passed your comments to the head chef and asked him to review menu's and to double check all dishes leaving the kitchen, thank you for this feed back but I will say it is unusual to receive such comments.

My best wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The Suncliff is in a great location (About 15mins stroll along the front to town) and has fantastic sea views. We got a 2 night deal with included breakfast and 1 nights dinner for a good price and wasn't disappointed.

The decor is a little tired in area's, in good condition but dated. There are signs of investment, the bedroom we had clearly had received a face lift but the bathroom was still stuck in a time warp although clean.

The breakfast buffet and dinner were very good and the staff are friendly and helpful.

The Suncliff is part of 3 sister hotels (all next to each other) and you can use the facilities of all the hotels, which was great as it meant we had 2 outdoor and 1 indoor pool to make the most of and a spa.

1980KMF

Thank you for reviewing the Suncliff,

I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you ill return to us in the future. We are always updating areas of the hotel including bedrooms and bathrooms and employee two full time maintenance / decorators. I would also say that we are a more traditional seaside hotel and are not looking to change the character of the Suncliff. I am also happy to see the staff made a good impression as I believe our customer focus is one of the most important aspects of a stay in a hotel.

Best wishes for the summer
chester
Reviewed 20 July 2013

just returned from our usual break at the suncliffe true it does need a bit of a facelift but we had a lovely holiday again the staff are very welcoming and always go out their way to make your stay has comfortable as possible .the hotel is very central and you are not too far from the public transport bus stops to all areas or if you like a nice stroll about a 20 minute walk to the piers.The restaurant manager jose is a lovely person and if you have a problem with anything just ask and it will be sorted no problem thats if you can find anything to complain about we certainy didnt the meals and buffet breakfast are superb.The hotel does seem to cater more for elderly clients but that suits us fine especially the coach trips lovely to meet up with Andrew again and we look forward to another break next year thankyou all . Roy & Val

Room Tip: the sea view rooms are lovely .
chesterroy

Dear regular guest, (Roy and Val)

Thank you for sharing your comments on the Suncliff with the TA community!

I truly believe that the current Suncliff team is the best it every has been from the restaurant to the reception desk and upstairs in housekeeping all the staff work very hard to ensure that the guests staying have an enjoyable break and as you pointed out if you need something or have an issue ask and a member of the team will bend over backwards to help.

I am really glad you enjoyed yet again another trip and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best wishes and Andrew shouts hello from the back office and thanks you for the support on FB!
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed here for two nights on route to the south west. It is a good hotel; some of the decor is a little dated and has the feel of a quaint 'old fashioned' English seaside hotel, but that said, it is much better than that and they have clearly invested money in modernising certain areas of the hotel. The room we stayed in was clean, well equipped and airy. The staff were all welcoming and accommodating to our 18 month old daughter. Location-wise, it is a good 20 minute stroll along the cliff top to the pier and main town centre - so in an ideal world it would have been nicer to be a little closer, but it really wasn't an issue. As with all hotel bookings, do shop around, we managed to find a very good rate that was certainly worthy of the quality of the hotel. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Apparently the fourth floor has the best rooms. Clearly the sea facing rooms have the best view (an...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank holly191
holly 191

Thank you for your first comment, we do indeed portray the hotel as a traditional sea side hotel so I am glad you picked this up and also the fact we are investing into our product where it counts.

I am happy to see you were pleased with the staff and the service we provided. I hope you will return to us again in the near future and my best wishes to you and your family.
Burton on trent
Reviewed 18 July 2013

When we arrived at this hotel, we thought what a lovely place it was overlooking the sea.
We were then given our keys for the room, which on first sight, looked very nice. However when we looked at the bathroom, we were saddened to see that it didn't match up with the room decor, I.e. the bath was chipped and the shower was on a flexible tube attached to a hook in the wall. The shower head didn't keep still whilst having a shower either, thus having water sometimes over the edge of the bath. You had to step over the bath side, narrowly missing the plastic curtain as you got into the bath. As you were showering, the water kept going icy cold as obviously other rooms were using their bathroom as well.

Room Tip: If we went again, we would pay a little more and ask for a penthouse room which has a balcony and ta...
1 Thank Joyce M
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Joyce M

Thank you for taking the time to review the Suncliff.

I am happy to see that overall you enjoyed your stay but apologise with the bathroom issues you experienced. We have recently had our 'bath man' in to rectify the chips in the baths and I am looking into showers and curtains at the moment as I’m in and out of bedrooms. We have already upgraded a handful and are continuing through the rest of the hotel.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope you will return to us in the near future.

Best Wishes
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

we came to visit Bournemouth for a long weekend treat and stayed at Cliffside Hotel. we have been looked after by lovely staff, who responded to all our requests professionally and promptly. Whilst my husband went golfing, I was pampered in their new Oceana Spa, which I can't recommend highly enough - what a lovely treat!
I would recommend this hotel without reservation.

Room Tip: the first room we were offered was too small, but was changed immediately and without any fuss. the...
Welltravelld063

Thank you for you kind comments reguarding the Hotel, I am pleased to see you were happy with the new Spa facility we have launched, It is an amazing thai inspired day spa and I also think very reasonable.

I hope you will return soon!

best wishes
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I have recently come back from a two day stay at the Suncliffe Hotel. First and foremost, I have to comment on the friendliness of the staff here. You usually get the odd member of staff who isn’t very nice, but this wasn’t the case at all! All the staff I had contact with (reception, bar staff, waiters, cleaners) were absolutely lovely! Keep it up because this really goes a long way!!

First impressions of a hotel are crucial and on arrival, Sam checked us in. She did a fab job as she was very polite and accommodating. We got this deal via groupon, and we were given a voucher for a free bottle of wine, cream tea (scones and tea) – a lovely treat, and our first evening meal was free. The meal was good and I could not fault the waiters!

The hotel consists of a restaurant and a large, spacious bar area, which is also like a restaurant. There is an indoor swimming pool which is average size and a sauna. The hotel is clean and has a free car park (during our stay, the car park was never completely full, so you should be able to get a parking space). The Suncliffe is in an excellent location as it’s opposite the beach. However, as the beach is below (hotel is on a main road that overlooks the beach), it might take you about 10/15mins to walk down, but a lift is provided which is about a pound each way (not worth paying for the lift, as you only sit in it for about 30 secs!). Once you’re on the beach, the pier is close by and so are the rides and shops.

The rooms aren’t very big, but we had a peaceful sleep, without any disturbances. There is no air conditioning in the rooms, but we were given a fan, which did the job.

Breakfast was the best!! I’d like to say that Jose and his team do such a fantastic job! Jose was always smiling and very helpful. The team always ensured we were ok and happy with the food, and were always nearby, incase we needed anything. The cooked buffet breakfast was delicious! There were sausages, bacon, toast, hash browns, egg – fried and scrambled, cereals, a range of drinks and more.

The only negative comment I have is that for the two days we were here, the sauna was out of order. We realised this after we had been for a swim. When I asked reception, we were told that we could use the sauna at a different hotel which was only a few doors away. This was a kind gesture, but it would’ve been nice to have known this before, so we could’ve gone straight to the other hotel and had our swim and sauna there.

Overall, a really lovely hotel, great staff and a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. It was our first time to Bournemouth and thanks to Suncliffe, we enjoyed our stay and will love to return!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Miss A

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Suncliff Hotel.

Customer relations and staff interaction is a key focus of the training that happens with in the Oceana group. I am very proud of my current team and I know they will always try their best to help guests and greet them in a warm and friendly manner.

Sam is fairly new to the Hotel but is a little star, she has managed to gel with the team so well, thank you for mentioning this as reception are the one area of the hotel that faces the guest from the beginning to the end of a stay but are over looked a lot of the time.

Thanks you for your comments regarding the restaurant team and Jose they work endlessly to keep any guest that dines with them happy.

I apologise about the Sauna being out of order, It is never a good time to carry out works or like in this case a facility to have problems but we always try to get them up and running as soon as possible and we have specialist contractors to carry these works out. The leisure is a great facility but it does take a lot of looking after and constant monitoring.

I am so glad you will return and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes