“Just what I expected” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #26 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
“Just what I expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

We have just arrived back today from a stay at The Suncliffe Hotel with my mum and my 2 boys aged 14 and 10.
On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff on reception and given our room keys. We stayed in family room 118 which was huge with a double bed and very impressed with 2 single beds as opposed to camp bed which you quite often get in a family room. Yes as I have read in other reviews it is getting a little tired but it was nicely decorated and clean.
I did have to ask about the mattress in our room as it had springs coming through but it was changed by the time we came back from our day out, it
Still wasn't the best but certainly better.
My mums room 132 was a little off the beaten track down corridors and right at the back of the hotel but she says she slept lovely and it was big enough for 1 person.
Breakfast was fine with a good choice of food
I use to come to Bournemouth every year when I was a child and this hotel brought back all my memories of holidays with creaky stairs and dated decor!!
It will be the anniversary of the death of my father tomorrow 12 months on and we wanted to remember the good times we had in Bournemouth and we enjoyed every min of it.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Tillymint86

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Suncliff.
We describe the hotel as a Traditional seaside hotel and I am so glad this became apparent during your stay.
We have been very popular with families this summer and thank you for supporting the hotel and going one step further by sharing your comments on Trip advisor.

My best wishes and I hope you will visit again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
Billericay, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

The Suncliff Hotel is in poor state of repair. decor throughout the hotel abysmal, Carpets dirty and worn, Communal lounge resembles the worst of a working man’s club. As one of our party had mobility problems we asked for a room that did not require climbing stairs, the first room offered was a the farthest end of the hotel down a flight of stairs, this room was very small and was supposed to be for 3 Adults, it had a double bed and a put-u-up bed, and a very small dressing table, it was so small that it was not big enough for a wardrobe. We declined to stay in that room. We were then offered two rooms (not what we wanted or we would have booked two rooms) we were told they were upgraded rooms and we would not be charged extra!!!! the rooms were a good size in a good position with sea views, however the sinks in both bathrooms were cracked, the carpets in both bedrooms were filthy, the bathrooms were internal and did not have extractor fans so the ceilings were speckled black with damp. The bath in one room obviously had a crack in the top near the taps which had been filled with a large amount of silicone sealant which was grubby and the shower curtain was held up with string. The furniture in one of the rooms had seen better days and was falling apart as was the ceiling and decor. We were told that the owner is intending to refurbish as a 'Traditional English' hotel. Not quite sure what that means because at the moment it looks like it has not changed or been maintained since the 1950's. Sorry but about the worst hotel I have been in in years !!!!!!!!!!!! However on a slightly better note the food was very good and the staff very helpful so full marks to them. Shame about the senior management/owners for not keeping the hotel up to date.

Room Tip: Rooms at front with sea view are quieter, rooms a rear face car park and service area. But you need...
2 Thank Maureen H
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion of your stay, and I’m sorry to hear that on this occasion we did not match your expectations. We do try to meet all guest requests as far as possible, clearly an oversight was made in the allocation of your room and for this I apologise. Once the reception team were made aware of this mistake they did everything possible to find a suitable alternative, bearing in mind the hotel was at over 95% full, in this case the best option was 2 adjacent sea view rooms, normally sea view rooms carry a supplement charge but due to the inconvenience to yourselves the supplement was waived. You were offered a choice as to whether you would prefer to stay in the 2 sea view rooms or move together into a family room for the last 2 nights of your stay and you opted to move.
I understand you brought your concerns regarding the standard of the accommodation to the attention of my colleague who personally investigated the points you reported. Whilst the rooms were not found to be “grubby”, evidently some areas were not up to the standard expected, notably the fractures in the bath and sink. We have been working with a contractor to repair any damaged baths in the hotel and the next step is to address the sinks, this is an ongoing project and as I’m sure you can understand cannot be completed overnight. Regardless, I appreciate the valid points you have raised and these have been passed to the maintenance and housekeeping departments to remedy as a matter of high importance.
After this, as a gesture of goodwill it was agreed that the remainder of your evening meals would be complimentary, as you had already booked and paid for these in advance I personally informed you that you could use the value against any extras or have the balance refunded to you. From this it is clear that the issues you encountered were taken seriously and as much as was possible was done to rectify these issues at the time. With regards to your comments concerning the decoration of the hotel have to say I find them undeserved, the public areas of the hotel were repainted last autumn and we have a full time maintenance team employed to fix faults as well as work on our ongoing bedroom redecoration programme.
I am pleased to read however that you enjoyed the food and the service provided by the staff during your stay. We are all aware how important it is to provide the best in customer service and I firmly believe that the staff members at The Suncliff are a credit to the hotel.
Taking all the above into account I have to say that I find such a negative trip advisor review somewhat unreasonable and frankly disheartening when it is clear that each member of staff you encountered did as much as possible to look after you during your stay and yet this was repaid with such derogatory comments. We value trip advisor as a useful tool to gather feedback which we use to better our products and services, but it should also be used as a forum for constructive criticism and praise where it is due.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have visited Bournemouth a number of times and stayed in a wide range of hotels. Having read the reviews I was a little worried about staying at the Suncliffe, however, those doubts were all misplaced. The hotel is well placed away from the noise of the centre of Bournemouth but still within easy reach of the attractions.
The rooms are a good size and represent good value for a hotel that bills itself as a 3 star property. The decor is slightly dated, but nothing that would cause any sleepless nights. Bathrooms are well fitted.
The facilities are very good - especially when staying here you can also access the facilities of the sister hotel next door, which offers outdoor swimming pools, along with four restaurants and bars, as well as a Costa Coffee shop.
I couldn't fault the service and breakfast was excellent. The staff were willing to help and make suggestions when I asked them about the good bars to visit. The manager I spoke to was very enthusiastic and helpful (Russell I think?).
In conclusion, I would say that this hotel offers a good place to stay if you are looking for a good value property that provides a comfortable and accessible stay in Bournemouth

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Gavintheworld
Thank you for such a positive review, I’m glad to see that you enjoyed your say with us. We strive to provide the best in customer service to our guests at a reasonable price. One of the advantages of operating as a resort with our adjacent sister hotels The Cumberland and The Cliffeside is the wide range of different facilities we are able to offer guests staying with us including our recently opened Oceana Day Spa, offering a range of luxury treatments in a relaxing Asian themed spa.

I hope to welcome you back to The Suncliff soon
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

The website description of the SunCliff is not accurate. This hotel is very old fashioned in its decor and its a bit like stepping back into the late 70's/early 80's in terms of the atmosphere that you experience when you stay here.

We had booked a twin room and it was probably the smallest hotel room that I have stayed in for a while. Frankly if one of you was standing and moving about, the other really had to either sit on the bed or on the one available chair. The phrase 'big enough to barely swing a cat' somes to mind. Also important to bear in mind that the stay was not cheap. My friend and I were paying £55 night each, so frankly for that price one would expect better.The only saving grace really was that the room and the sheets were clean.

The whole hotel is in desparate need of a face lift and some upgrading, this includes the leisure facilities, which we decided not to try at all.

The (inclusive) breakfast was ok. A reasonable selection of both continental and cooked breakfast daily. However the quality of the coffee and the orange juice was not good.

The location of the hotel is not bad, it is right on the seafront and we did actually have a view of the sea - although we were in a room on the side so had to crane our necks! Its about 15 minute walk down the cliff to Bournemouth centre, actually quite a nice walk.

Having seen the 2 sister hotels (ie Cliffside and Cumberland), I would definitely recommend these as being far nicer in terms of decor. Actually there is also not much difference in terms of cost, so definitely would have recommend those over the Suncliff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m not quite sure in what respect the website description is “not accurate”, our mission statement is clear and there are photographs depicting the wide variety of different rooms we offer. The Suncliff is traditional sea side hotel and does not try to be a modern or have flashy decor. We are a comfortable and friendly 3* hotel. Due to the age of the building every room is different and if a guest ever tells us that they are unsatisfied with the room they have been provided with, we will always do as much as we can to offer an alterative where possible. We have just last week installed new coffee machines in the restaurant and have upgraded to a superior product in order to provide a better quality cup of freshly brewed coffee to our guests. Regarding the orange juice, this is not a comment I have received before, however thank you for bringing it to my attention, it is something I will look into. We are very fortunate with the location of the hotel, right on the cliff top overlooking the bay, we benefit from an amazing view especially when the skies are clear. As you mentioned, it is a short but pleasant walk into the town centre for local attractions and amenities.
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Booked a family room for a couple of days. At the end of a long day when when we agreed lights out for all of us, I made the mistake of pulling back the undersheet to reveal a matress cover with a very nasty stain which without forensic confirmation looked like somone elses blood. On a call to reception someone appeared but had to just give us another sheet as all the matress covers were in the wash. When he stripped the matress cover it got better though, as there where crisp crumbs under that. A new cover didn't appear the next day either, luckily we were only there for 2 nights. Thankfully my childrens beds didn't have stained matress covers, they didn't have one at all, just a hairy old blankets folded in two under the sheets. Room very tired and dated and I bet the dusty cobwebs in the corners of the windows are still there too. Would we do back? What do you think?

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

The rooms are really outdated. was on the ground floor at the back, was not satisfied with the room. We asked to have it changed and ended up on the 3rd floor. The room was worse off, where the floorboards were creeky, the bathroom flooring was peeling off and the tile sealent were in desperate need of resealing. The wall paper edges were peeling and foot print markings. The bed mattress is in need of change, as it felt like ur sleeping in a ditch, id persume it had been worn out. There's an old vintage trouser press, which does not work, if its old and does not work... Get rid! The only positive thing i could say is that the service from the staff was pleasant and helpful, they must have a difficult time from customers hearing the same thing. Its a walk away from the pier. All in all, the hotel is in desperate need of modernising and attention to detail. You'd definately save money and have a more comforting stay at a travelodge or premier inn.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
At The Suncliff we do always endeavour to provide all guests with the finest in facilities and customer service. Please accept my sincere apologies that on this occasion your requirements where not met.
There are certain things that as older constructed Hotels are beyond our control however customer service remains our forte and I can assure you that all comments are taken very seriously and addressed individually with our Heads of Department.
The hotel generally offers value for money, and I believe our tariffs reflect what we offer.
We are undergoing refurbishment of our bedroom stock but this does take time, the reception team will always do their best to re-allocate rooms however this time of year and being a very popular hotel in Bournemouth we are fully occupied most nights which can make this a little more difficult.
If guests have any issues while staying we have managers and a maintenance team that will bend over backwards to help and fix or find a solution to any problem that may arise.

You mention travel lodges and premier inns I personally find these very clinical and un inviting with minimal staff/customer service, no leisure, no entertainment and no character. With the three hotels next door to each other our range of facilities go far beyond what they offer including a brand new day spa, 3 pools, 5 restaurants, various shows and entertainment, squash courts, cocktail bar plus more.
I am sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy the accommodation side of our stay, but am happy to see our service and location pleased you. I hope you will return to us in the future and if so ask for a refurbished room where we will do our best to meet your request and I’m sure you will be much happier.
Lancing, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

We had booked for the Cliffeside but on arrival were told we had been allocated next door to the Suncliffe, this was not a problem to us. Our family room was nicely decorated and did not appear to be unclean, bathroom a little dated but had all we needed. The only problem we found with the room was as it was in the back of the hotel there was not a good view, also you had the ( quite considerable) noise of all the delivery lorries / dustcarts early in the morning which did actually wake us up.The indoor pool was pleasant if a little shabby, the water was actually quite cold, in fact the outdoor pool at The Cumberland next door was warmer. The staff all seemed very friendly and helpful, breakfast was nice. A few areas which they could consider would be a more up to date lift, the hotel did not appear to be ideal for people with mobility problems, a lot of stairs and different levels! A safe in the room would be useful as would the provision of bottled water ( I hate having to fill up the kettle out of the bathroom tap) or the provision of a small fridge. Parking was a bit restricted but you could park right outside on the seafront over night free of charge.The 3 hotels in this group are beautifully situated and very convenient for the town, but still quiet and peaceful. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the front of the hotel to avoid noise of delivery vehicles , wheely bin emptyi...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a constructive review of your stay, Im glad you had an enjoyable time. We are always looking to improve the hotel and the services we offer and guest feedback is invaluable in helping us do this. I’m sorry to hear you were woken by the dustmen in the morning, unfortunately we are limited in what we are able to do about this but we will speak with the contractor and urge them to minimise noise as much as possible. The hotel is not a new building and our leisure facilities are well used, as a result this is an area of ongoing development, the outside area near the pool has just been updated and the pool area itself is the next project. With regards to the water temperature, it is usually maintained at 25 Celcius, however after cleaning, when the water is refreshed the temperature may drop and take a little time to rise again. The lift can carry up to eight passengers at once and is sufficiently large to take most wheelchairs, if we are aware that guests have mobility problems we always try as much as possible to allocate rooms close to the lift or with level access. We have in the past looked at installing an extra lift but unfortunately due to the age of the building, the cost is prohibitive. As a 3* hotel, in order to provide value for money we do not provide bottled water and safes in the bedrooms as this would be a cost that we would have to pass onto guests, however we do provide a safe storage facility at reception.
I hope you choose to stay at The Suncliff again in future