The Suncliff Hotel
US$230
US$200
The Green House(Bournemouth)
US$208
Royal Exeter Hotel(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$104
Priceline
US$120
US$103
  • Pool
The Cumberland Hotel(Bournemouth)(Great Value!)
US$196
US$178
US$130
PremierInn.com
2,237 results
All reviewsthe penthousesunday carverysea viewindoor poolrestaurant managercoach tripbit datedcoach partyevening mealreception staffsister hotelshort breakthe cliffair showself servicecumberland hotelenjoyable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights with my 92 year old friend ( coach trip from Manchester ).
The staff were, without exception, superb, the friendliest we have ever experienced. I would like to particularly commend the Portuguese lady in charge of the restaurant who was unfailingly cheerful and helpful. I just wish I hadn't forgotten her name.
The food was excellent with plenty of choice. We would have enjoyed a glass of wine with our evening meal but at £19 for a bottle of house red we made do with water.
Our single rooms were all we could expect, warm and comfortable.
We would go back to this hotel without a second thought.

Room Tip: We had single rooms on the 2nd floor which were fine.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

ebullience66

Thank you for posting your review on the Suncliff. I really do hope you will make it back to the hotel soon; we do have a value choice wine on our list that is only £13.50 called ala cinco so please keep that in mind on your next visit. This was put in place as everyone is watching their pennies and we do what we can to help.

My best wishes

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We spent a night at the Suncliff hotel using a livingsocial voucher. Our £99 voucher gave us a cream tea, a bottle of wine, a three course meal and bed and breakfast for one night. At this price it's a bargain. Initially when I phoned to book the stay I felt a little worried as the person taking the booking was a little short with me when I questioned having to give my credit card details for a booking that was paid for in full by the voucher.

During our stay we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The food served in the restaurant was very good. The hotel room was clean.
Everything was a bit shabby, there was a stain on our ceiling, the shower wasn't very powerful but we did have a shower and a bath in our ensuite and the bed was comfortable bar the big buttons in the mattress! (We didn't feel these once in bed and sleeping)

We used the hotel "Leisure suite" on two occasions and found this to be disappointing. Half of the machines in the gym didn't work properly and the pool again was shabby as not as warm as hotel pools often are. The shower in the men's changing rooms didn't work properly and the shower in the womens changing rooms was not very powerful and you couldn't rinse off too well in it.

The cream teas we had were out of this world! The best cream tea I've had in a very long while! Really nicely presented too.

If there was another offer, we would go back. At full price, probably not.

1  Thank BristolClogs

Bristolclogs,

Thank you for leaving your comments on your TA page, the living social deal was an absolute bargain and really good value for money; I’m pleased to see you also agree.

A card number is only taken for security reasons and nothing would ever be changed without your notification. As the years pass credit card fraud is becoming more frequent and the easiest way is to take card details on booking that we can check on arrival. Plus we can only process the booking once a credit card is provided. This also allows you to open up a room account should you wish to charge any extra's to your room while in the hotel.

We are always up-grading the bedrooms and public area's so thank you for your comments, I have passed this on to our Housekeeping to rectify and the leisure is an area that again is having investment in.

Thank you once again for your comments and I hope you will return in the near future

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel as part of a coach tour 21-25 October 2013. The quality of hotels on coach tours is often disappointing but this is by far the best hotel I have stayed in as part of a coaching holiday.

The hotel looks good from the outside and that first impression continues throughout the hotel.

ROOM

I stayed in a single room on the first floor. The room was of a decent size - adequate wardrobe space and plenty of cupboard space. Flat screen TV with free view and a comfy chair to sit in! Bathroom - a spacious bathroom with lots of storage space. Plenty of mirrors and largish windows that open!
The only negative about my room (131) was that it was next to an external fire door and during the night gale force winds rattled the external door very noisily. There was also a problem with a creaky floor so could hear people in neighbouring rooms moving about.

FOOD

The restaurant was spacious with large tables so plenty of elbow room. The waiting staff were efficient and service was speedy. The food was the best I have had as part of a coach tour. Plenty of variety and the presentation of the food was second to none. Portion sizes were very generous.

Breakfast was self service so one could have as much or as little as one wanted. Again lots of choice re breakfast menu.

BAR

Many customers complained about the bar prices £3.60 a pint but I guess these are southern prices - bar service was generally good.

ENTERTAINMENT

Monday night was a male singer - not a very good singer but he sang what people wanted to hear and engaged with the audience so he got a good reaction .Tuesday night was bingo night - the bingo was called by a very surly barman who clearly didn't want to be doing bingo. He called the bingo as fast as he possibly could and got more and more annoyed when people had trouble keeping up with him - even his fellow bar staff heckled him by shouting false calls. The bingo was concluded within about 25 minutes. The hotel could improve the entertainment offered on Tuesdays by getting someone with a bit of patience and personality to call the bingo and laying on a quiz or two.
Wednesday was a husband and wife "Carpenter Tribute act" - the female singer had a cold - so not many Carpenter songs were actually performed. They never really engaged with their audience and didn't get a much of a reaction. Thursday night was a male singer/guitarist - he couldn't sing but he did play a mean guitar! He engaged with the audience throughout the night - he was the kind of act that likes to take the Mickey out of the audience and he went down a treat.

All in all good accommodation, excellent food, acceptable entertainment - would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ei058

ei058

Hello member of the coaching community, it always pleases me when a coach/tour guest leaves a review on TA, even though it is a rare occurrence the reviews are always fair and detailed.

I apologise about the winds during your stay, the weather was pretty dreadful that week and being on the cliff top over looking the sea we do bare the brunt of it.

Our chefs and waiting team work extremely hard to offer fantastic food and outstanding service and I am pleased this was apparent during your stay.

Our bar prices are very competitive compared to the local area but yes the prices south do differ to the prices up north unfortunately

Our entertainers have been with us for the past four years and I must say we rarely get negative feedback about them. We are having a change around next year and intruding a couple of new faces so watch this space. As for the 'surly' bar man that called bingo he was a last minute change due to our usual bingo caller not being available and is in fact our bar manager Rob. Rob offered to step in though he was meant to finish his shift at that time plus is probably the most soft natured, obliging and caring person I know. I wont go into detail but he worked in the care industry for many years and after getting married at the hotel 4 years ago soon joined the team and has been an asset to the Suncliff ever since. I’m sure he didn’t mean to come across in that way.

Overall sounds like you really enjoyed your stay and I hope you will return again to us in the near future where I am sure you will be looked after once again.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed in one of the Penthouse rooms in October 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed the room and the fantastic views. The location was great, just being off the beaten track, and the walk into town was lovely along the water front. The only disappointment for us was that they allowed people in the dining room for breakfast clearly in their pyjamas with nothing on their feet! It is sad to see that that is now considered acceptable. The breakfast was also a little disappointing, would of been nice to of seen some yoghurts and vegetarian sausages. A lovely break and the Suncliff Hotel helped to make it so.

Room Tip: The Penthouse rooms with a sea view are well worth the money and trip up in the lift!

LAC1309

I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay at the Suncliff.

It is defiantly not acceptable to have no foot ware on to enter in for breakfast and I will address this with the restaurant manager as normal practice we do point this out to any guests that we see, it is the same policy for guests using the lounges and bar for obvious health and safety reasons. Thank you fro bringing this to my attention.

As for our breakfast we normally receive very positive comments, I apologise it did not meet your expectations. We do hold vegetarian sausages for guests but i will ask to make this a little clearer on the buffet.

I do hope you will return to us in the future and if you do please do not hesitate to ask any staff member should you have a dietary requirement and we would be happy to help or advise.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

First time for staying at the Suncliff Hotel, my partner and I booked a long weekend break at beginning of October 2013. We had such a pleasurable stay that even with so many other hotels to choose from in Bournemouth, we have re-booked again to stay at the Suncliff in November and December.
Staff are extremely friendly, that's all staff from receptionists, room maids, bar staff - everyone! I want to mention in particular the helpfulness of the hotel with my dietary needs. I am Coeliac so therefore require Gluten Free options at mealtimes. This was NEVER an issue, both Gluten Free Bread was available for sandwiches for bar or room service menu and also at breakfast in the main restaurant. They were fully aware of cross contamination procedures and a separate toaster in the kitchen away from all other gluten containing products was used to toast the gluten free bread. Soya milk was available again both in the bar and also at breakfast.
This made our stay so enjoyable having the freedom to enjoy the breakfast and even Sunday Dinner knowing that I was not eating anything with gluten present. Even the gravy was gluten free for the Sunday roast! Other facilities at the Hotel were very nice and the indoor pool was very inviting. Value for money you would be hard pushed to find a better value hotel where the staff are as attentive as at the Suncliff. Added bonus was evening entertainment on Fri and Sat eves too. All in all, we would recommend - especially if you have any special dietary needs as you will be looked after well. As a final note, their sister Hotel, The Cumberland which is situated next to the Suncliff also looks beautiful and you have full use of facilities.

Room Tip: If want the added bonus of sea view then request sea view rooms facing front of hotel as the hotel is located along the east cliff so the views I imagine would be wonderful. We stayed at back of hotel as we didn't request seaview.

Serena B

Thank you for taking the time to review the Suncliff based on your recent stay.

I am so pleased to see that you didn’t just enjoy your stay but the staff went out of their way to make sure you needs were catered for and that you rebooked already.

In my eyes this really does reflect what the Suncliff is all about with our main focus being customer service. My team will always do their very best to ensure our guests are looked after and are not just a number or 'just another guest' we treat our everyone that walks though the front door like a member of our extended family and would show the same friendliness and helpfulness to everyone.

It is also great to see that you have used many of the facilities with in the hotel giving the readers a much broader review of what we have to offer.