The Suncliff Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
The Queens Hotel(Bournemouth)
  • Restaurant
2,235 results
All reviewsthe penthousesunday carverysea viewindoor poolrestaurant managercoach tripbit datedcoach partyevening mealreception staffsister hotelshort breakthe cliffair showself servicecumberland hotelenjoyable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I arrived at the hotel on 4th November. As my husband is disabled, we had requested in advance that we had a room with a walk in shower which unfortunately could not be guaranteed, but they said they would do their best. To our delight, when we arrived, we were told we were being upgraded to Penthouse Harry as they thought it would be a very suitable room for us. What a lovely room, with a balcony overlooking the sea. It was lovely. All the staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful. The dining room was run very efficiently and again the staff were great. We didn't know it was 'Turkey and Tinsel', but was a pleasant surprise as we arrived on 'Christmas Eve' and left on 'New Years Eve'! We both love Christmas which is a good thing, as if you didn't, the constant Christmas music everywhere in the hotel might get to you. We will definately go back and take some friends with us. Thank you.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the sea is well worth having. Penthouse Harry which we had was superb. Very quiet because you have no-one above you, although walls to next door rooms did seem quite thin.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 397ValH
rcarley, Assistant Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Thank you for your review, I’m so glad you enjoyed your upgrade to a penthouse room. As you said, the sea view is well worth having. If you chose to stay with us again in future you can always request to have the same room again and we will do our best to allocate it for you again, but it’s worth getting in touch with plenty of notice as with only four penthouse rooms, they sell out fast!
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Suncliff in future.
Kind Regards,
Tom Pinn, Assistant Manager.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed for one night. Like other reviewers we were surprised to find Christmas decorations up already but the place had a lovely, if somewhat surreal atmosphere. Parking is an issue, we had to drive around the block before 'striking lucky' with a space, we noticed many people using the hotel to park while they took a stroll along the seafront leaving hotel guests to park in the street and pay parking fee's. A barrier on entry would be a great idea.
The hotel itself was clean and tidy, a little tatty in places but perfectly acceptable. We were given a room on the first floor which had the smallest window I have ever seen, and to top that it opened onto the fire escape and had a TV bracket positioned across it, I could not stay in it and returned to reception where they happily gave us another room, which still had a poor view but was at least light and airy. No complaints over cleanliness, the room smelt and looked nice and clean. Tea and coffee making facilities, decent hairdryer, soap/shampoo, shower gel - all that you need. It does seem to be a very hot hotel we had to have the windows open despite it being November and this did affect my sleep a little. Our room (130) had a dodgy hot tap, it would not turn off and was scalding hot and more than just a little drip too! I burnt my foot and as we were in a family room I dread to think how it could hurt a little one! I did tell reception but judging by the water stain in the bath I would say this has been going on for a while so it will be interesting to see if it is mended
Leisure facilities comprise of a pool, sauna and gym, and I think are the weakest point. we collected our towels at reception but nobody told us that the gym had a code for the door so we could not enter and cannot therefore comment on what is provided but we did use the pool and sauna. I think these areas could do with a little TLC the changing room was open plan, and one gentleman got to see much more of me than I would have wished as his wife entered the room while I was undressing!!! absolutely nowhere for privacy! the pool was a little murky with a 'film' floating on top - off putting to say the least. The sauna was fine except the seats are so high! and as there was no step provided I had to climb up on all fours! not very flattering!
dinner in the restaurant was fine. as was breakfast in the morning - no complaints there.
A lady by the way of Amanda Jane was entertaining in the bar in the evening and we were pleasantly surprised, she was a great singer, played the clarinet beautifully and told some great/terrible jokes. all in all she rounded off a lovely day.
The staff are what make you want to come back to this hotel, polite friendly helpful, from the cleaning staff to the restaurant manager who makes sure he attends to every guest and even has his own hens lay the eggs! A few niggles that need addressing here but overall worth a revisit.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tillysmum_11
rcarley, Assistant Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a constructive review, guest feedback is vital to us in developing the product we offer our clients and it is so helpful to receive such balanced and constructive comments.
When you arrived at the hotel our Sunday carvery was in full swing, the carvery is very popular with local residents and because of this the car park does fill up quickly, however later in the day this soon quietens down. Alternate parking is available at our sister hotels free of charge or for a small fee on the road at the front of the hotel.
The hotel is a large old building and no two rooms are exactly the same, if a guest ever reports that the allocated room is not to their liking we are always more than happy to provide an alternative when available, as was the case in your situation.
The leisure facilities are an important part of the package we offer to our guests and therefore is an area of focus for ongoing improvement works, so thank you for the pointers on where to direct our efforts next. The pool is checked daily for temperature, clarity, pH and chlorine levels and is normally kept to a very high standard. Your comments however, have been passed to the head of maintenance for further investigation.
I’m glad you enjoyed dining in the restaurant and the evening entertainment, but perhaps most importantly the attitude of the staff is what made your stay enjoyable. We place great emphasis on delivering excellent customer service and its so good to hear that everyone delivered on this.
I do hope you choose to stay at the Suncliff again in future.
Regards,

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Two night break with my wife.
On entering the reception we saw they had Christmas decorations up...in October...well I never.
Bedroom was dated and smelt a bit of old people. Judging by the age of the clientèle I guess a few of them have passed away in the very bed I slept in... oh well. Shower was not up to much, I had to run around in it just to get wet to get wet I say.
We had a problem with our toilet while we were there and the staff sorted quickly and without fuss...well done. Staff in the restaurant were also very good and very polite. We had breakfast there which was good the only bad thing was my sausage...I had either grit in it or ground up teeth and hooves.....you like. Location of the hotel is good for either Bournemouth or Boscombe.

Room Tip: Go for a penthouse
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
rcarley, Assistant Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with a generally positive review. Regarding the Christmas decorations, the “Turkey & Tinsel” tour groups that use the hotel start operating in October and we have to provide a suitably festive atmosphere to welcome them into. I have to say I find it a little distasteful to speculate about guests passing away in the hotel, simply due to the fact that a large proportion of the guests staying at the time were elderly. Everyone has the right to enjoy a holiday away from home regardless of their age, and here at the Suncliff we are proud of our good reputation welcoming a wide variety of age groups. I’m glad to read that the issue you experienced with the toilet was fixed swiftly and I’m sure that if reported, one of the maintenance team would have been happy to address the shower for you as well. We usually get very positive feedback on the quality of breakfast, your comment regarding the sausages is unusual but I will pass to the chef and investigate accordingly.
Regards,

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Inadvertently the short break we booked turned out to be 'Turkey & Tinsel' - what a surprise! My husband and I thought that this hotel was really good value for money and because it was 'Christmas' we could also take advantage of 99p bar in the evenings (hubby happy with the draught lager and the house red was very palatable). I was impressed with the choice of food on the menu and also the quality of the food, the smoked salmon roulade was praised by hubby and the bread and butter pudding was the tastiest, lightest I have ever had. The staff in the dining room were great, we always had a warm greeting and attentive service. OK some of the hotel needed a bit of tlc, the carpet has seen better days for example, but everywhere was clean and even enough room for 2 armchairs in our bedroom. We didn't use the spa or pool. Sleep quality only 'very good' as an extractor fan (or similar) outside bedroom window.

1  Thank JacquiS436

Thank you for such a nice review, I’m glad you had an enjoyable stay. Our “Turkey & Tinsel” package is always popular and as you say offers great value for money with bar deals and daily entertainment all included. Our Head Chef aims to provide a range of freshly prepared dishes to suit varied tastes so I’m glad you found the menu to be to your liking (I have to admit the bread & butter pudding is a personal favourite of mine too!)
In your review I think you have perfectly summed up the Suncliff, although not the most modern hotel we deliver high standards of quality and service at an affordable price. I do hope you chose to stay with us again in future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 November 2013

went to bournemouth for a short break and booked this hotel . stayed in the penthouse suite and was really pleased I did my partner loved it she wants to stay again and im happy to , the staff were great and the lady in the breakfast room works so hard nothing is never a problem I seen her helping everyone and was always smiling . the view was great as you can see from the pics and the room was first class . id stay there every day if I could ,
didn't use spa so hence why can not rate

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
rcarley, Assistant Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thanks for your short but sweet review; I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay. The penthouse rooms really are worth spending a little extra, especially when the weather is good and you can really make the most of the balcony looking out over Bournemouth Bay. I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.
Kind regards,