“Just returned - would go back again”
Review of The Suncliff Hotel

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #24 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just returned from an enjoyable weekend at the Suncliff with my mum and 13 year old daughter. We had a family room on the first floor overlooking the sea with a large communal balcony. The room was dated but large and most importantly very clean. It was extremely hot in the room but we decided this was due mainly down to the sudden favourable change in the weather. We ate in the hotel both nights, the first in the restaurant, the second room service delivered to the room. Both occassions the food was excellent and presented well. We really enjoyed the spa - yes its true the showers etc could be upgraded but the pool area itself we really loved. The thing that stood out for us was the outstanding staff - from room maids to reception staff, waiting staff etc they were without exception fantastic and really add to the whole traditional hotel experience - we loved it. Both nights we were awake at 3am by noisy parties returning to their rooms - but this wasn't a problem - the hotel caters for all ages and I would not hesitate to book again - fantastic location with first class staff - well done Oceania at the Suncliff. Happy customers x

Room Tip: Sea view stunning
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank armywife43
Write a ReviewReviews (2,182)

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here from Monday (10-03-14) to Friday which meant I got a free taxi from the station which was lovely. When I arrived there was a little problem as I wasn't aware I had to pay on arrival and had only confirmed my room weeks ago but reception were very helpful and sorted this out for me (was paid on someone else's card so they called them to confirm) I booked a penthouse with balcony we were given penthouse Beatrice which was absolutely gorgeous great size, good size TV and very comfy big bed, very clean and the views were amazing, only fault was that one of the handles on balcony door came of but it was stuck on with chewing gum so last people to stay on there probably didn't tel the hotel so I'm assuming they didn't know about it, it didn't bother us as we had the doors open whenever we were in there. The shower was nice and hot.
The breakfast was lovely and lots of choice we didn't have dinner in the hotel so can't comment on that.
We used the pool table which costs £1 could have been in a better place but it was a bonus it was there, we also used the indoor swimming pool which was lovely and hot only thing I personally would have wanted was cubicles in the changing rooms but there were clean and free lockers which was good.
The hotel it self is very popular with the older generation but everyone was very friendly and didn't bother us at all (we are 22yo and 21yo)
Overall was a lovely stay!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel, in its heyday, must have been of the highest class. Unfortunately the years have taken their toll and the decor and bedrooms are looking weary. My Brother-in-Law stayed in the recently refurbished part of the hotel and his room was clean, comfortable and had usual facilities. Our room was in the older part of the hotel and had a window that looked out to a brick wall which made the room feel dark and uninviting. However, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. There was a sign in the bathroom saying 'Due to the year this hotel was built and the location of this room guests may have to run the tap for several minutes before getting any hot water' this was a slight understatement as I ran the shower for 20 mins and still didn't get any hot water. The 'Spa' is really in need of refurbishment. Out of 3 showers in the men's changing rooms only 1 worked and water was so slow you had to run around to get wet! The ladies changing room had a similar problem. The 'heated indoor pool' was around 30 degrees with steam rising, so if you wanted to have a long swim it wouldn't really be possible as you would pass out with heat exhaustion! The staff on the other hand were by far the friendliest, most professional and helpful that I have ever encountered and the breakfast was fresh, good quality and good value. These two factors alone made the overall experience well worthwhile and for those of you out there that miss how hotel service used to be I would recommend a short stay here. For all it's faults, I would return!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank simmo31
Reviewed 10 March 2014

On arrival, I was really impressed with reception staff. They helped me out with a problem as I needed to get onto my emails. We didn't have time to go out for supper so we had something from the bar. I think it was over priced as the quality of the burger was that of a hot dog van, still not a problem. Bar staff friendly and polite. My mother and myself went to our concert. We were on quite a high as we had really enjoyed ourselves. We had a drink and thought how nice it was to see the hotel packed with 3 generations all enjoying themselves. We discussed the hotel and I said I would write a review and say how impressed I was, I had booked with lastminute.com and had got a good deal. We went to bed at midnight. It was then I felt that I had booked with an 18 - 30's holiday. The noise was terrible until 3 o'clock in the morning. We were on the ground floor. I had asked for this because of stair access for my mother.
Just a tip for the 18-30 year olds - yes people can hear you when you talk and giggle in the hall way of a hotel. To the parents of toddlers - when you keep your children up till 2 in the morning they will probably still be over active and over tired when they go to bed, so expect them to be up at 3 then every hour on the hour.
Breakfast was lovely. Got up at 8 then made a hasty retreat. I wanted to take a look round Bournemouth but because I had a 3 hour drive and was exhausted I went early. I really wanted to give this hotel 5, but because of your patrons it is only a 3 which is a shame. sorry.

Room Tip: I think the rooms at the top are less noisy as we were in a large family room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank smiffi62
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed for one night for business. I enjoyed the pool and steam room facilities!
Only complaint is that the heating in my room was on constantly so it became very hot.
Great breakfast, loads to choose from. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2014

had a great couple of days at the suncliffe ,staff were friendly and helpful at all times .the room we had was large with a sea view on the second floor it was clean an tidy if a little shabby . my partner found the bed to be to firm for her liking .also the car parking is fairly limited , we had to park on the road outside . breakfast was ok .the biggest plus for the hotel has to be the sunday carvery which was excellent , some of the so called big chains could learn a thing or to here .

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed here for one night and would recommend it . Staff were excellent. Our room had a lovely sea view,very clean and comfortable. Food and service good and excellent evening entertainment. Great pity more people did not get up and dance! There was another large family party staying there but everyone just got along and it was quiet at night. Yes the hotel does look 'tired' but that did not detract from our stay and it is lovely walk into Bournemouth and very handy for visiting Poole, Studland, Swanage etc. We would return for another short break.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel