“Suncliff”

Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Suncliff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Reception rooms of hotel were average but our room on second floor needs refurbishment Carpet worn and grubby and doors rubbed and worn Bathroom diabolical Shower system antiquated had very near miss with loose taps on shower system which turned off cold water but did not shut off hot which burned my back Really facilities not worthy of prices charged Never again

Room Tip: Make sure the room has been updated
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
anne h

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your stay. We are refurbishing our bedroom stock including replacing carpets periodically. I apologise that you did not find the accommodation to your liking. I am sure if requested the staff would have tried to move your room on request.

We do have a few different types of shower within the hotel but again we would always replace anything faulty with our in house maintenance team. I have checked our log and after you reported this shower it was then fixed.

I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay however if you did return I would also suggest speaking with the management or reception if you had any issues with your room or stay and there are many things we can do to help you. We do care about our guests and really do bend over backwards to try and ensure everyone enjoys their time with us.

Best wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
Fleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Have just returned home after a fantastic 3 day visit. I had booked a family room for 4 in celebration of my daughter's 18th (not that the hotel staff knew). When we arrived (grandmother, mother and daughter) less 1 member of the party (son), we found out we had been upgraded to the Zara Penthouse. When walking into the room we were amazed. It was beautiful with lovely sea view. We found the staff all very friendly, helpful and polite. Breakfast was yummy and plentiful. Thank you for making our 3 days so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Would recommend Sea view penthouses, but did not see any other room so cannot comment on them.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Wendy W

what a great review, yes our top floor rooms are beautiful. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and we could make your celebration a memorable one.

Best wishes and I hope you will return soon
sutton coldfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I went to this hotel on Friday the20th of June and stayed till the 22nd. It was just a short break to meet up with my two nieces who live in Bournemouth. My brother and I had a twin bed room that was very light and airey. there was plenty of wardrobe space and it was very clean. We all had a meal in the restaurant on the Friday evening which was great . We found the hotel very pleasant and all the staff were friendly. We had a good weekend. there was not enough car parking space so we just parked on the road outside the hotel. It cost us three pounds for the weekend. No problem

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
stants1

Thank you for the glowing review, I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the room and service was what you expected.

Best wishes and hope you return soon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed at the Suncliff for a hen party, we were upset that as soon as they found out we were a hen party they asked us for £100 each as a deposit due to this which they never told us upon booking, however the location was great as the hotel looks over the sea and is only half a mile from the town and main pier. The hotel is rather dated with green bathrooms but it was very clean. We had use of the facilities for this hotel and the 2 either side.
I couldn't fault the breakfast which was buffet style help yourself and they have a full range of cooked and continental. We paid £50 each per night and thought that was excellent value for its location and what it offered to us.
If It could be improved it would be with modernising the hotel, things such as the carpets and bathrooms, and also adding biscuits to the tea trays!
Overall a lovely place to stay that cost us very little and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay

• Stayed July 2014
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Pinklet89

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Suncliff.

The group bond is normally explained at the booking process or passed to any agencies that people use to book in such groups so I am unsure why your group was uninformed of our policies.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your break with us in general, as far as the bedrooms and décor is concerned we employee a team of 7 maintenance engineers and we work tirelessly to keep the hotels looking good and improve the fixtures and furnishing on a weekly basis. This does take time but it is an endless job. I am sure for the guests that have been visiting on a regular basis can see the changes and improvements made.

I do hope you will use us again in the future and best wishes to all the ladies in your group!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Would not stay again, and would not recommend. We (a couple) stayed for 3 nights in July 2014. The service in the hotel was very disappointing, the receptionist was rude and there was no bar tender at the bar half the time.
It was hot and the rooms had no air conditioning, so we asked for a fan. On the first night they were unable to provide one and weren't at all apologetic.
We also found a hair in the breakfast :(
The location is good with ocean views, and only 15 mins walk to the pier. You are able to use the facilities of 2 other next door hotels one of which has a nice swimming pool area and delicious food (The Cumberland hotel).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
HazKF

A very mixed review of the Suncliff,

It is unusual to get negative feedback about the service the staff provide they all work very hard to make sure that the guests enjoy their stay. Our reception team I feel are always very pleasant as I listen to them every day due to my office being directly behind the reception. But I do apologise if rudeness was shown towards you by the front office team this is very out of character.
We have been experiencing some extremely warm weather for an unusual period of time. We have purchases over the past few weeks about 23 fans to add to the ones we have already in store. So I apologise we were out of fans but we would have checked at our sister hotels also as per procedure.
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Hotel could do with modernising , overall very clean with very friendly and helpful staff. Just a 15 minute walk into town and the beach . Excellent view from our room , overlooking the sea . Would stay here again .

Room Tip: Lovely sea view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Katerina M
Katerina M

Thank you for the short but sweet review. We are a more traditional hotel by the sea side however I do feel we make up for it in the service, food and customer focus we offer. I am very happy to see you will be returning to us in the near future I hope.

best wishes
bournemouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed for 1 night for a friends wedding and paid the extra to have a double room instead of a single and must say it was worth it.I was very impressed by how clean the room was,did not find one bit of dust.It would have been nice to have had some biscuits on the refreshments tray.
The room was lovely and cool.My only small complaint would be that there is no light by the door when you go in so you are unable to read the fire instructions or use the full length mirror unless it is bright sunshine or you have a torch.
Bed was too hard and had a bad back for a couple of days after.Lots of noise early hours of the morning-obviously a stag group coming back to the hotel.
I was slightly surprised when I checked to be asked for my credit card again to open up a tab,this was not an option,so I had to do it but not happy as I always pay cash,maybe it could be written in the info you send to customers beforehand.Overall it was a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Choose 111 as no sun gets in so nice and cool in the summer.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Kazjaf

Though some of our rooms may be older in décor they are very clean, The Housekeepers have been with us for a combined total of 57 years now so know what they are doing.

We could always change an uncomfortable mattresses or put a topper on should you bring your complaint to the reception desk. We always do our best to remedy this kind of issue.

My apologies if our were disturbed during your stay, it is sometimes very difficult to control guests from making any noise but we do have a night porter on duty that may have been able to help should you have requested it.

We always ask for a swipe of any guests card to prove the cards used online match the cards used to pay with. It is a normal procedure and most hotels in the UK now take a pre-authorisation on check in. to prevent out standing amounts being left after check out.

I do hope you be back with us again soon
Best wishes