“does what it says on the tin”
Review of The Suncliff Hotel

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #24 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 10 June 2010

2nd visit, grabbed a sea view room with a huge balcony. be realistic, you get what you pay for here. this is a good standard, user friendly hotel. manager and reception staff in tune with guests. bar and food available 24/7 and good value. entertainment weekends, we had a bit of a wonky Liza or is it Lisa Minelli tribute friday and a good retro disco saturday night . 2 mins from the beach and 10 min walk to town centre. going again? oh yes! give it a go. p.s No wifi

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank beacowarrior
Write a ReviewReviews (2,182)

Reviewed 6 June 2010

Great location for the beach and town. Staff friendly and helpful. Kids menu only had 4 things to choose from so if staying a week they may get bored. Not exactly a healthy menu as they were not given a choice of veg or salad. We stayed Thurs and Fri night and ordered morning papers. We didn't get our Sat one because we failed to ask for a weekend paper! Yes the Hotel could do with updating but we had real value for money doing DBB option. I always take ear plugs when staying in hotels. The next door hotel ha music playing until midnight and our room was close to it so if super sound sensative ask for a room away from the hotels and from the lift. Great to be able to use pools in Cumberland and Cliffslide plus this hotels in door one. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
rcarley, Deputy Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review, I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff and their friendliness, we pride ourselves on excellent customer service and recieving such positive feedback gives us great satisfaction.
I would like to thank you for raising your points concerning the childrens menu we are always looking to improve in all areas and we take all points raised by our guests with great attention. We will be certainly looking into increasing the chioce available, and to include vegetables and/or salad with the childrens menu. Our side rooms may experience sound from functions in our sister hotels but do have a strict policy that all music is off at midnight sun-thurs and reduced by 25% at midnight fri-sat and off completely at 1am, additionally we supply complimentary ear plugs to our guests if they are lighter sleepers. We are very proud to have 3 excellent hotels prominantly placed next to one another in such a fabulous location so it makes sense to allow our guests the full use of all our facilities and dining services across the three hotels so again thank ou for your comments.
We hope to see you again soon
Daniel Jordan
Deputy Manager.

Reviewed 1 June 2010

We visited this hotel in a school holiday. Having seen the website, it showed itself off as the place to be! UGH! Downstairs looked alright (this was probably to lure visitors so that they'd have more of a shock when they saw the rooms!) but oh upstairs was terrible. Our room was small, the headboards were greasy, a pigeon nested on the windowsill and the bathroom....I've never seen anything like it in my life! Tiles were missing from the wall (these tiles my mother had when I was a boy), there was limescale around the taps and the plug hole was grotty and had never seen bleach before in its life. One look at the room and we were straight down to reception to see if they had anything better to offer. I must say the staff were friendly and only to happy to help though. They said there was a sea view room going begging but it was an extra £20 pp per night. We declined the offer and made do with the room we'd already got. The shower dripped and kept me up half the night along with the immense heat in the rooms.
The restaurant was a totally different place altogether! It was posh, waiters were friendly and only to happy to help. Food was excellent although the children's menu was never changed the full 5 days we were there.
The pool, you guessed it, wasn't that good. I swallowed a hair in the pool and it was still in my mouth the next few days. It was small too. The pleasant smell in the changing rooms was more by accident than anything.
We had a pleasant stay in Bournemouth although the hotel let it down, but I must say it was fun pulling a disgusted face whilst in the room.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
rcarley, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2010

Thank you for bringing your thoughts to my attention, I am extremely sorry to hear that your stay with us was not to our usual high standard, a small number of our 100+ bedrooms are waiting for or undergoing rejuvenation. We are constantly spending money upgrading our facilities to offer a better product to our guests, however as you can imagine this does take time to get right, for example we have just this last week completed four new penthouse apartments on our top floor which we believe to be some of the finest rooms in Bournemouth. Our standard of cleanliness in ALL our rooms however in not under dispute, our head housekeeper who has been with this hotel for over 25 years personally checks each room before any of our guests are allowed to stay. Her standards a very high indeed. In fact on many occasions double check the rooms myself they are always immaculate.
Here at the Suncliff we pride ourselves on a high level of customer service, so thank you for recognising this, we also believe our food to be some of the best in town.
Our pool is kept to a high standard too, we have just spent well over £15,000 on renovating our pool, however due to its size even in such a clean and new pool there maybe occasions were a hair may be encountered before it gets removed by the filtration system, this is just one of those things. We have never had this brought to our attention before.

Reviewed 25 May 2010

Stayed at this hotel for one night whilst attending a family wedding. The room we stayed in was in dire need of some TLC to say the least. The furniture was tatty and knocked about, you could feel the bed springs poking through and the floor in the bathroom was lifting. Whilst the room was clean it was these other things that actually made it look dirty. The towels were old with cotton hanging off , there were brown water stains around the edge of the tiling, cupboard doors not fitting properly and so on. On top of all this it was extremely noisy with people returning to their rooms at all hours laughing and shouting. We could hear the residents above us walking up and down and even the gentleman next door snoring ! sound proofing is no existent. Needless to say we had very little sleep that night and had a four hour drive home the following day. Whilst the location was great, right on the sea front, I think it is well worth staying slightly further out of town to get a better standard of accommodation that would offer greater value for money. This hotel was £110 per night so not cheap by any means.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pud6
rcarley, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2010

Thank you for your comments raised I am sorry your expectations were not met on this occasion.
Indeed some of our rooms are in the process of being upgraded and at times we rely on feedback from our guests so these issues are bought to our attention in order to fix them. We are a very small group of hotels who unlike many are constantly pouring money back into our product to provide the best standard/service possible. I think your comment regarding bed springs has been over exaggerated as I’m sure if this was the case and springs were poking through your mattress you would have alerted someone or it would have been brought to our attention with previous guests. We would have happily moved you to a different bedroom in the unlikely event of this happening. We received no call or complaint from you for the duration of your stay. All of our linen is of a very high standard and by no means old! Our Head Housekeeper who has resided in the Hotel for the last 30 years would certainly not ignore this when checking every bedroom in the Hotel, which she does religiously before new guests arrive. If a few threads of cotton were protruding from your towels and it caused offense to you these would have been instantly replaced for you. The Hotel cannot be held responsible for other human behaviour, we do however have someone on the premises 24 hours a day as stated in your room compendium, and should you have experienced a disruption caused by others staying in the Hotel the Night Porter could address this for you, but unless notified he would be unaware of any disruption! I would not say the Hotel is soundproofed but to be able to hear snoring in the next room is certainly a complaint we have not had before. In the event of being a light sleeper we do supply ear plugs if requested. We do offer excellent value for money and based on the feedback we receive all year round we feel our rates are extremely competitive.
Regards
Daniel Jordan
Deputy Manager

Reviewed 13 May 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights as we were attending a family party in Bournemouth. On arrival we were dissapointed not to be able to park the car easily. After checking with reception we were told we could use the car-parks of either hotel next door (these were full too) or pay for parking on street opposite & wait for a space! Anyway, eventually we did find a spot but we did witness a couple of 'car-parking space' rage incidents!! LoL!
The room we stayed in was looking a bit tired to be honest, it was clean, but the furniture & decor could really do with updating. The bathroom was a bit shabby too. The view we had was not great either - overlooking the back car-park!
You have use of the swimmming pool, jacuzzi & sauna - all very nice. You can also get towels from reception.
The breakfast was good too - help yourself to cereal etc & then you are served at your table.
As we were visiting family we basically used the hotel as a place to eat sleep & get changed. We paid through the nose on reflection, even though it was a last minute booking. If you can get a good deal - I would say go for it - but otherwise save your cash!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2010

I would first like to thank you for your comments regarding the Suncliff Hotel, all comments are passed to our managers and Heads of departments so we can improve on our product. Parking in Bournemouth is a nightmare at the best of times we are lucky enough to have the three car parks to use and the seafront that is very reasonable at £3 for 24 hours or free between 10pm and 8am, I’m glad you found a space in the end, we even ban all staff members from parking to allow as many spaces for guests as possible.
Unfortunately we cannot have sea views in all our rooms but we are constantly upgrading our bedrooms and I’m sure you can appreciate with nearly 100 rooms this can take time. We have just completed our forth floor balcony rooms to a very high standard and plan to carry on with another 30 rooms. I’m glad you enjoyed our leisure facilities, after spending over £15,000 they are a great facility to unwind in. I apologise you feel you were over charged but I know we are very competitive with the rest of Bournemouth and always have special offers running on bedroom rates. I wish you a fantastic summer and hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 8 May 2010

My partner and I stayed at Suncliff over the May Day Bank Holiday. We had picked up a two for one offer on a DBB basis for £89 per room per night (and a slice of cake and a pot of tea on arrival!). I contacted the hotel the day before to request a sea facing room, which they accommodated for an upgrade fee of £10 per person per night. There was a big wedding reception going on when we arrived so we had to park in the Cumberland which is the sister hotel next door, which was not a problem for us. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and greeted us with nice big smiles. Our room 208 was located on the second floor, and being a corner room was full of light with windows to the front (sea facing) and the side. OK - the decor is a bit tired, but the room was spotlessly clean and at the price, I was delighted. We had a four poster bed which was very comfortable.

The hotel is in a nice location for those who want to be close enough to the town but not so close that you are in the middle of it all. We enjoyed the walk into town and back, which we both hoped burned off some of the extra calories we had consumed during our stay. We didn't make it for dinner on the first night because we had "popped" into town on the afternoon of our arrival and found a nice tapas bar where we ate so much we didn't have room for dinner! However we did have breakfast and an early dinner the following day. Breakfast was well cooked and the service was fine. Dinner was a Sunday roast carvery which we both enjoyed. The Sunday carvery is open to the public so local diners joined residents in the restaurant and it appeared to be very popular. I am not sure what vegetarians would make of it (I guess load up on the roast veg?). Anyhow being residents on the DBB package, we automatically had a table allocated/reserved for us (this was the same for breakfast).

In summary, we had a wonderful time on a package which was excellent value for money.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2010

Dear Happy Customer,
I would like to thank you for your kind remarks and taking the time and effort to post your review. We are open to all comments positive or constructive and they are passed onto our Management team to improve our product. The all day cavery is a new idea but seems to be working well so I am happy to hear you enjoyed your meal. It really sounds like you enjoyed your mini break in Bournemouth and I am so glad we could play a part in making it happen! I hope you will use us should you visit the south coast again.
My best wishes
Russell Carley

Reviewed 16 April 2010

I arranged this family & friends gathering for 63, and didn't we get this right ! Superb Hotel in a lovely position, staff very accomodating and helpful from the outset, they supplied everything we asked for and more. The rooms were all excellent and well maintained, the table service was exemplary and the management should be proud of all the staff employed. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: April 2010