“Hotel could be nice if the staff were trained and the everything in the room worked”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Suncliff Hotel

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

We just spent 7 nights in the Suncliff hotel which us cost is £1228. The room was very stylish and the view was superb on the top level in a room called Beatrice. But there were a lot of other problems that I would like to draw your attention to.
On signing in we were asked to sign a form, pay the bill, given a key with a blue card for room charges and told where our room was and that was it. Two days before the end of our holiday, we found out being on club level meant we could have breakfast at the Cumberland. We never did find out if there was anything else to club level.
Within 20 minutes of being in the room I realised there were no guest information hair dryer and tea and coffee for two people. We were 3. I went down to reception where I was told that there were no guest information books as they were at the printers. The porter was sent up with an old hair dryer and some tea things. The following day I went down again because our shower had no power or cold water after 30 seconds of running and the TV had only a couple of channels that cubed up every 5 minutes. I explained that this was a respite holiday for my husband as he is recovering from a Bone Marrow transplant and we were not happy. I was told that if we left we would not receive a refund. A guest information book was found for me and a maintenance man was sent up who agreed there was no pressure but said the installers would have to be called. The next day I asked again but there seemed to be no knowledge of any of my problems. This time a porter came up with us and agreed the shower was lousy and looked at the TV but said there was nothing he could do as it must be the weather up setting the signal. (It was not working on sunny days) He said he would make a note but that was the last we heard. We decided to stop complaining as it was of no use even though my husband has a lot of skin problems after his transplant and needed a proper shower and he gets worn out quickly so we rely on TV for entertainment.
We were also disappointed with the arbitrary tea/coffee/hot chocolate being left as there were never enough for 3 people. We found the breakfast to be a bit of a cattle market as it very packed every morning and the staff seemed harassed. The breakfast got very boring although the last two mornings at the Cumberland were lovely. I would like to mention that for a room at this price I would expect at least some of the following:
Working shower
Working TV
A wardrobe (Hangers above a unit is of no use for dresses or enough space for 3 people for a week)
More than one room key
More hooks in the bathroom (one on the door frame got clothes caught in the door)
Free Wifi
A box of tissues
Information about surrounding area
Information about club level
Iron and Ironing board that we don’t have to give back after use
Fridge, so we could buy our own milk
Lastly we rarely got a parking space and had to pay 4 times.
There were no extras in the room and what seemed like a young inexperienced staff.
This is really not the holiday we wanted or expected and certainly not the hotel that we were paying £152.15 to £211.65 a night for.
This was our first holiday in 3 years and was not recuperative for my husband at all.

3 Thank mrsdfitzpatrick
rcarley, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2010
I am sorry to hear that your stay at the Club Level was not as you had hoped. Thank you for bringing your thoughts to our attention we take any comments very seriously and rely on such feedback to improve our product as this is something that we are constantly striving to do.

We were experiencing some small issues with our newly competed forth floor ‘Club Level’ rooms. One was that the pressure in our boiler system that supplies the top floor was low causing the showers to work but if the water was under heavy demand would decrease its flow this is now being addressed as we speak and each room will have a pump fitted to increase the flow. The other was the TV signal which only seemed to be affecting our Club Level rooms and only certain channels this has been looked at by the company that installed the TV’s and new cabling will be fitted at great expense. Unfortunately both of these issues are not ‘quick fixes.

With regards to you list of things you would expect to find, your list may very much differ from the next persons so this is very difficult to judge, however I can agree that a working shower and TV are essential to our club level experience and as stated above these are being put right. Also our new style guest information packs have arrived and are being assembled going into the rooms this week at a cost of over £5000 across the hotels but again as stated before we are always investing in our product and we upgrade our packs to make sure all information is currant, we have also gone for a more hard wearing information pack based again on customer feedback.

We put a lot of thought into the facilities that we provide here at the Suncliff and especially in our Club Level rooms. Our team of managers & directors have many years experience in the hotel and leisure industry and we have made the decision to include and/or indeed not include some items such as an Iron and board that remains in the room for the duration of your stay and full wardrobes, fridges and based on our experience and guest feedback we took the decision not to put these facilities in the room as the space they would save would be more of value to the guest. We also see no need to provide a second key for the room as keys are left with us at the reception and can be retrieved by anyone in your party thus illuminating any need for a second key this has not been raised as an issue before. We have a wealth of information, leaflets and maps at reception that we regularly give out to our guests and we encourage guests with any questions to come and ask us we are more than happy to help. We provide extra tea, coffee, milk, hot chocolate free of charge at reception. I would also like to point out that we are a three star hotel so although we provide fantastic standard penthouse rooms the hotel it self is still only three star therefore we are not obligated to provide facilities for example iron and ironing bards that’ you don’t have to give back’.

We do provide parking free of charge on a first come first serve basis we have a total of 160 spaces within our hotels and a further 900 spaces on East Overcliff Drive so we do feel that this is normally adequate space for our guests.

Once again we thank you for bringing your thoughts to our attention and we do care greatly about guest feedback and as stated above we have made improvements as a direct result of your letter to me. Thank you also for recognising our efforts in your original letter about our friendly staff and great location.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2010

We stayed at the Suncliff Hotel in August and I must say that Daniel Jordan, the deputy manager there was superb! The service we were given was that of royalty and the penthouse suite was absolutely wondeful. The desk staff were also friendly and helpful, especially Pavlina.

1 Thank tracy_ann_hilton
rcarley, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2010
Dear Tracy Ann Hilton
What can I say, its so nice to have crossed paths with such a lovely family, it really gives me and all the staff and management such satisfaction to meet such wonderful people here at the Suncliff.
Im most pleased you enjoyed the Penthouse and the Hotel and will pass your kind comments to Pavlina. We really hope to see you, Colin and Chloe again soon.

Best Regards
Poole, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

We didn't stay at the hotel thank goodness, but my grandmother wanted to take the family out as a treat for Sunday lunch. We arrived at the hotel and finally found the restaurant on the lower floor (there were no obvious signs and no staff around to point it out). When we walked in through the door, we were moaned at by what appeared to be the restaurant manager for going through the wrong door, despite the fact there was no way we could tell this. He pointed to the other door and told us to wait there - I felt like a naughty school child being punished. After he'd finished chastising one of the staff for leaving this wrong door open he evenually decided we'd been taught our lesson and allowed us to be shown to a seat. We were given two menus between the 6 of us (the waitress told us there weren't enough, even through the restaurant was a quarter full. I hoped that it was just a bad start, but our starter of soup (which was quite tasty) arrived without bread and we gave up asking for some. The roast dinner was one of the worst I've ever tasted; the yorkshire puddings were inedible, the parsnips crunchy and the meat was fatty. We ordered water with our meal, intending to order additional drinks once we'd chosen, but after spending half an hour trying to get the attention of a waitress, gave up. I was really pleased to get away.

1 Thank historyg1rl
BournemouthSuncliff, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2010
I am very disappointed to here your experience at our carvery was not to our usual high standard. I have just taken the time to walk from our car park to the restaurant door. On my way I passed our large reception area (on Sundays this would have three receptionist on duty) also in the reception area there would be a host (normally myself) on the front door to greet lunch goers on there arrival plus our front office manager whom takes guests down to the restaurant door. I also passed bar staff and at the top to the stairs leading down to the restaurant there is a ‘Restaurant’ sign (when using the lift there is a floor list detailing the location of the restaurant), when reaching the restaurant door the host (again on a Sunday the general manager) would find you a table, the restaurant manager then shows guests to their seats, when this has been done a waiter would take care of the rest of your stay. The first set of doors have to be blocked due to the ‘buffet’ nature carvery and the hot holding unit is situated in front of these doors, so for safety and to prevent congestion it is not used and usually blocked.

Here at the Suncliff we have many regular customers of our Sunday lunch and we are very often complemented on the freshness and quality of the food. Our restaurant team are extremely professional and polite and the team is lead by a highly experienced and passionate Manager who is regularly remarked in comment card and reviews for his excellent customer service and warm friendly approach.

We take all guest feed back very seriously and rely on comments to make improvements where we see fit. Our Sunday lunch is very successful so I must say I am surprised to have such negative feed back. I would also go one step further and say that You have only used one of our facilities, our restaurant, as a hotel we provide plenty more!

Kind regards,

Andrew Potter
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2010

Situated 15 minute walk to center of town and 1 minute from the beach plus 10 minutes the other direction there are some excellent places to eat and drink on the beach front.
Service is excellent and the rooms top class. We stayed on the top floor beach front with balcony and I highly recommend you do the same.
The only thing that spoilt it was the weather.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlexD0372
BournemouthSuncliff, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2010
Dear Happy Cusomer
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I am glad you enjoyed the Club level at the Suncliff, it is a great addition to the Hotel and boasts probably the best rooms in Bournemouth. I do sympathise with you in terms of the weather but I hope the Hotel gave you plenty of optional activities to keep you amused.
Look forward to your return.
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

NEVER stay at this hotel. How it’s in the top 25 in Bournemouth is beyond me.

Myself and 3 friends have just come back from a weekend away and we stayed a couple of nights here. For all 4 of us to stay in a room it set us back a hefty £249 a night. Pretty expensive if you consider it’s a small triple with an extra bed.

I’m not going to go on forever, as the price of the room and the photos I took should put you off sufficiently. However, just so a list exists:

Grubby room on arrival (dead wasps on bed and windowsill)
No lock on bathroom door
Tiny, tiny old school 12 inch TV
Pay on arrival, not departure
No signs anywhere, a right old rabbit warren
Scummy pool, no towels
Dangerous taped up sockets
Shoddy unpolished furniture
1 key (old school, not a card) between 4 people
A tremendous amount of friendly staff but with a fairly unprofessional and completely gormless attitude to it all
Internet = no wifi, a 'pay-as-you-go' terminal from c.1999
Finally, whilst I love and respect the ‘elder generation’ it wasn’t the right weekend for us to be stuck in a hotel where we were the youngest guests by a good 40 years

Please avoid it until they clean their act up or slash their prices.

Manager – I’d love to see your response.

Thanks

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Dear reviewer
Thank you for your comments about the Suncliff Hotel, whilst I will endeavour to answer to your comments as best as I can, I feel everything you have decided to say about the Hotel is now long after you have left, leaving us unable to show you how quickly and efficiently we deal with issues around the Hotel, address matters and make all of our guests stays as comfortable as possible with us.
What can be done now that you have left and have decided to write a review a week late! Surely if you wished to have a pleasant stay and enjoy yourselves you would have raised any issues with the management of the Hotel whilst you were here? Which you didn’t. We have 2 onsite maintenance men contracted all year and a qualified decorator, not to mention a 24 hour porter facility. I accept your bathroom door was not up to standard and has been addressed immediately. The plug socket again has been fixed and new guidelines have been put in place to ensure things like your socket are not left in that condition again. The first picture you have posted is a perfectly adequate piece of our furniture that is ok, I don’t quite see why it is made to look worse with other items not being part of the bedroom’s décor scattered around it making it look untidy!! It has been inspected and is secure and fixed properly. We are investing in our bedrooms having refurbished 13 last year and 6 so far this year we are continually pouring money back into our product and our regular customers who visit every year do notice the ongoing improvement.
No towels!! We have hundred of towels and have never run out. I can’t put it any other way. Did you know to collect them from reception for use in the pools additional to the towels you have in your bedroom?
We have a professional outside contractor who cleans and maintains our pool 3 times weekly as well as 2 tests a day carried out by the management of the Hotel to ensure sufficient chlorine and P.H Levels. There is no indication of scum around the pool I have to say.
We are in the process of a massive digital changeover with the Televisions, this an enormous cost but will happen by 2011. We are more than proud of this project as only by being so successful in our product do we have the profits and funds to pour back into our Hotel hence making it possible.
You have stayed at the Suncliff during the high season, all Hotels are slightly more expensive during these busy periods as availability is very sparse and every other hotel within Bournemouth would have had the same mark up as us. This is purely a fundamental rule of Business. To be so prominently positioned within 5 minutes of the beach, overlooking the sea, with an indoor leisure centre, with Jacuzzi and Sauna, bar food served daily, a restaurant that serves high quality food and has a reputation that exceeds itself along with nightly entertainment, squash courts and a children’s games room during the school holidays I feel we try to cater for everyone and this is more than justified in the rate paid.
In conclusion I will just say that if you go and stay in a Hotel elsewhere try to raise your issues at the time so they can be put right rather than writing them on the web a week later, you could find yourself pleasantly surprised and not have to write a bitter review after!
Suncliff Hotel
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

I would like to thank the staff ofr what must have been a difficult busy time for them. I came with my partner for the Air Show and although the weather was not good I had a good time spent at the hotel. My only down side was that an electric double socket in my rrom breached Health and Safety and the reception was not bothered by this. I also booked my son and his family into same hotel therir room was to have been by mine 205 but was 126 well away from me to look after my 3mth old grandson. Then my booking was wrong I called nad booked 18-22 and ended up with 18-23 having to pay for a room that I was not able to use as had to be back in Oxfordshire 22nd again reception was not helpful and I was charged, when only days before someone called me from the hotel about car parking and she said that would be fine and sorted on my arrival.
I love you hotel and do come to you often as in once a month or every other month, so although there were issuse I will return and will be there for 2011 Air Show with my family again.
Well done to Head Waiter who was great!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

Old fashioned outdated hotel. Probably built in 1920 and hardly refurbished since. My room was located in the backbuilding and it was a long walk to get from ground floor to the room.
The waiters were probably seasonal and they did not have much grip on serving.
The hotel is Located 1 kilometer from Bournemouth, and buses run only at 6 Pm so you have to trudge long if you do not want to hang at the hotel in the evening.
One guest had a mattress where the springs was sticking through and it took two days before it was replaced
It is a hotel where many older, wealthy Englishmen take off for a holiday. It can be seen among other in the jewelry exhibition hotel had.
If i did ´nt have my cosy travelling group around me it wouldt have been a terrible.stay.

• Stayed July 2010
BournemouthSuncliff, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2010
Here at the Sunclif, we are constantly pouring time, money and effort into updating our hotel, in fact we have just completed the entire top floor and we are now offering some of the best rooms in Bournemouth.
Ours waiters are certainly not seasonal, many of them have been with us for years they are a very professional pleasant and polite team led by a very passionate restaurant Manager with years of experience and extremely high standards, evidence of this can be found on other reviews of our hotel and by all the thank you cards that he receives on an almost weekly basis.
We have various entertainment most nights at the hotel and a fantastic restaurant with great food but if you choose to see the sights of Bournemouth the town centre is a 15 minuet walk away, it is just a 5 min walk from door step to sand if you want to experience the golden blue flag beaches but we do have some fantastic bars and restaurants and shops at the Lansdowne area of Bournemouth which is only a 5 min walk from the hotel.
We are constantly replacing worn mattresses we have brand new ones in storage ready to replace old ones. There are times however when guests own personal preferences can effect our decision to replace a mattress for example a guest could bring our attention to a hard mattress and then the next night a different guest staying in the same room could remark that the mattress is far to soft, It can be difficult to judge this sometimes but we always replace mattresses that are damaged if there is not one ready in storage it will be ordered the same day and generally arrives with in two days I feel this may have been the case in this circumstance.

The Sunclif does not hold jewellery exhibitions!!

Thank you for your comments.