“Good Value For Money, however the hotel needs updating”
Review of The Suncliff Hotel

The Suncliff Hotel
Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 13 September 2010

My partner and I booked the Suncliff through hotels.com and got a fantastic deal, we had not read any reviews on the hotel so booked it as a complete gamble. The hotel has a very good location on the sea front just 10 minutes walk from the Pier. On arrival, the hotel looked very grand. Parking was quite limited and on the second night a coach took up nearly half of the available parking. On entering the hotel we were very impressed by its grandness however when entering the room we were a little disappointed by the rather dated décor and basic facilities. The room however served its purpose for the stay and the bed was very comfy. I would say the worst part of our stay at the Suncliff was the breakfast arrangements which I thought needed some drastic rearrangement. Instead of a hot breakfast 'buffet', breakfast is ordered and served by the waiters which with the volume of guests staying at that time, resulted in a very slow service. I think for the amount of guests the hotel can accommodate, a hot buffet would be much more effective. Tea and coffee is also served by the waiters which on both days was a bit of a challenge to achieve. The hotel did have some good facilites, with an indoor swimming pool and 'small' sauna. The jacuzzi was also enjoyable. We did not take the time to enjoy any of the other facilities in the hotel but did notice there was a gym, squash courts and quite lively evening entertainment. I think for the price we paid, the hotel was adequate but would not have paid the full hotel price. I would recommend the hotel to others but as mentioned only as part of a special price deal

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank deliveryboy_wyorks
BournemouthSuncliff, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2010

Dear delivery-boy
Many thanks for your comments,
I’m glad you enjoyed your stay at the Suncliff and the free leisure facilities on offer. I’m sorry to hear you did not find the time for a game of squash!! Your constructive comments regarding the Breakfast service are “noted” and I apologise your experience was not quite to standard. Along with your feedback, discussions about reverting to Breakfast self service had already been scheduled and addressed, and I can tell you that as of Monday next week we are having a major re-vamp in our structure of the Atlantic Restaurant where a full self-service, coffee, toast and Hot Breakfast facility will be incorporated into the Restaurant along with the Continental section already in place. This will allow all customers upon entering the restaurant to have all items we make available for Breakfast immediately, and on view upon being seated.
We make use of our on site decorator and maintenance that reside in the Hotel all year round, and are refreshing, upgrading and decorating rooms on a daily basis. We are one of few Hotels who are constantly pouring profits into our product to improve it as best we can; fortunately this is noticed by our repeat guests who return year after year.
Again thank you for your comments I hope to see you again soon.
Deputy Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,188)

Reviewed 13 September 2010

Where do I start....
After booking for The Cliffeside, upon arrival we were advised by reception that we have been moved to The Suncliff-which is the sister hotel. I thought nothing of it and moved next door. At reception had no problems, checked-in, paid for the 2 nights, got given my key and up we went. As I opened the door to my room 115, I was greeted with a small, dingy, smelly room. This room was smaller than my box room and it was suppose to be a double room.
At that point I went back to receoption and asked why I was moved in the first place and got told that as The Cliffeside, The Suncliffe and The Cumberland are all sister hotels they move clients around all the time. So I suggest if you book for the The Cliffeside or one of the others do not be suprized if by the time you get there that the hotel hasn't changed your reservation.
The hotel did move me to another room which was still very dated but in a lot better condition than the first. The hotel is very dated throughout and does remind me of an old age home with all the smells and creeks.
The only good things I have to say are that the food at dinner was fantastic and the restaurant staff are very pleasant.....
As a travel agent myself I will not be recommending these hotels to any of my clients...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
BournemouthSuncliff, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2010

Dear reviewer thank you for your attention and taking the time to write a review, I apologise that your expectations were not met on this occasion.
With regards to your booking being transferred from the Cliffeside to ourselves The Suncliff, we do operate as a resort as well as individual Hotels. With the Cliffeside being rated 73% by the AA and the Suncliff being rated 74%, we feel the accommodation on offer is an almost exact comparison in style and standard. With such large booking engines and still a small element of manual input required, human error can occur on very rare occasions, and having Hotels next door to one another we are very fortunate to be able to mirror any reservation if this is the case to accommodate you to one of our sister Hotels, but still being able to offer you to take your meals and enjoy all the facilities of the Hotel you have initially booked. We operate 3 Hotels and are managed and run with the same passion and flare so in the event your booking is transferred we have the strongest confidence your stay will be in line with your initial requirements when you booked and still being under our own company banner. Upon arriving in any of the Hotels in our group all guests are informed of the luxury of using all of Oceana Hotels dining and leisure facilities. I find your comments regarding Reception very unusual as the terminology you have quoted them as using is just not the case and all agents have been vigorously trained in how we advertise ourselves as individual Hotels and as a resort.
You mentioned your initial room booked was not of a an acceptable standard and with your comments in mind I have inspected room 115 and is an acceptable sized double bedroom in line with AA guidelines, However along with all the other upgrades and refurbishments we are constantly addressing around the Hotel, I have sanctioned a refurbishment of that particular bedroom to be carried out at the Hotels nearest convenience. I will say your choice to give cleanliness a 1 out of 5 in your trip advisor rating is quite unfair as I don’t think because a room may appear to be dated does not necessarily mean it’s unclean. Our 2 Housekeepers combined have over 60 years of experience at the Suncliff and along with the Management we do not release our rooms to customers unless they have been checked and double checked.
I am glad you enjoyed the Restaurant and the food along with the service provided. Thank you for your comments

Reviewed 10 September 2010

We just spent 7 nights in the Suncliff hotel which us cost is £1228. The room was very stylish and the view was superb on the top level in a room called Beatrice. But there were a lot of other problems that I would like to draw your attention to.
On signing in we were asked to sign a form, pay the bill, given a key with a blue card for room charges and told where our room was and that was it. Two days before the end of our holiday, we found out being on club level meant we could have breakfast at the Cumberland. We never did find out if there was anything else to club level.
Within 20 minutes of being in the room I realised there were no guest information hair dryer and tea and coffee for two people. We were 3. I went down to reception where I was told that there were no guest information books as they were at the printers. The porter was sent up with an old hair dryer and some tea things. The following day I went down again because our shower had no power or cold water after 30 seconds of running and the TV had only a couple of channels that cubed up every 5 minutes. I explained that this was a respite holiday for my husband as he is recovering from a Bone Marrow transplant and we were not happy. I was told that if we left we would not receive a refund. A guest information book was found for me and a maintenance man was sent up who agreed there was no pressure but said the installers would have to be called. The next day I asked again but there seemed to be no knowledge of any of my problems. This time a porter came up with us and agreed the shower was lousy and looked at the TV but said there was nothing he could do as it must be the weather up setting the signal. (It was not working on sunny days) He said he would make a note but that was the last we heard. We decided to stop complaining as it was of no use even though my husband has a lot of skin problems after his transplant and needed a proper shower and he gets worn out quickly so we rely on TV for entertainment.
We were also disappointed with the arbitrary tea/coffee/hot chocolate being left as there were never enough for 3 people. We found the breakfast to be a bit of a cattle market as it very packed every morning and the staff seemed harassed. The breakfast got very boring although the last two mornings at the Cumberland were lovely. I would like to mention that for a room at this price I would expect at least some of the following:
Working shower
Working TV
A wardrobe (Hangers above a unit is of no use for dresses or enough space for 3 people for a week)
More than one room key
More hooks in the bathroom (one on the door frame got clothes caught in the door)
Free Wifi
A box of tissues
Information about surrounding area
Information about club level
Iron and Ironing board that we don’t have to give back after use
Fridge, so we could buy our own milk
Lastly we rarely got a parking space and had to pay 4 times.
There were no extras in the room and what seemed like a young inexperienced staff.
This is really not the holiday we wanted or expected and certainly not the hotel that we were paying £152.15 to £211.65 a night for.
This was our first holiday in 3 years and was not recuperative for my husband at all.

3  Thank mrsdfitzpatrick
rcarley, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2010

I am sorry to hear that your stay at the Club Level was not as you had hoped. Thank you for bringing your thoughts to our attention we take any comments very seriously and rely on such feedback to improve our product as this is something that we are constantly striving to do.

We were experiencing some small issues with our newly competed forth floor ‘Club Level’ rooms. One was that the pressure in our boiler system that supplies the top floor was low causing the showers to work but if the water was under heavy demand would decrease its flow this is now being addressed as we speak and each room will have a pump fitted to increase the flow. The other was the TV signal which only seemed to be affecting our Club Level rooms and only certain channels this has been looked at by the company that installed the TV’s and new cabling will be fitted at great expense. Unfortunately both of these issues are not ‘quick fixes.

With regards to you list of things you would expect to find, your list may very much differ from the next persons so this is very difficult to judge, however I can agree that a working shower and TV are essential to our club level experience and as stated above these are being put right. Also our new style guest information packs have arrived and are being assembled going into the rooms this week at a cost of over £5000 across the hotels but again as stated before we are always investing in our product and we upgrade our packs to make sure all information is currant, we have also gone for a more hard wearing information pack based again on customer feedback.

We put a lot of thought into the facilities that we provide here at the Suncliff and especially in our Club Level rooms. Our team of managers & directors have many years experience in the hotel and leisure industry and we have made the decision to include and/or indeed not include some items such as an Iron and board that remains in the room for the duration of your stay and full wardrobes, fridges and based on our experience and guest feedback we took the decision not to put these facilities in the room as the space they would save would be more of value to the guest. We also see no need to provide a second key for the room as keys are left with us at the reception and can be retrieved by anyone in your party thus illuminating any need for a second key this has not been raised as an issue before. We have a wealth of information, leaflets and maps at reception that we regularly give out to our guests and we encourage guests with any questions to come and ask us we are more than happy to help. We provide extra tea, coffee, milk, hot chocolate free of charge at reception. I would also like to point out that we are a three star hotel so although we provide fantastic standard penthouse rooms the hotel it self is still only three star therefore we are not obligated to provide facilities for example iron and ironing bards that’ you don’t have to give back’.

We do provide parking free of charge on a first come first serve basis we have a total of 160 spaces within our hotels and a further 900 spaces on East Overcliff Drive so we do feel that this is normally adequate space for our guests.

Once again we thank you for bringing your thoughts to our attention and we do care greatly about guest feedback and as stated above we have made improvements as a direct result of your letter to me. Thank you also for recognising our efforts in your original letter about our friendly staff and great location.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 September 2010

We stayed at the Suncliff Hotel in August and I must say that Daniel Jordan, the deputy manager there was superb! The service we were given was that of royalty and the penthouse suite was absolutely wondeful. The desk staff were also friendly and helpful, especially Pavlina.

1  Thank tracy_ann_hilton
rcarley, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2010

Dear Tracy Ann Hilton
What can I say, its so nice to have crossed paths with such a lovely family, it really gives me and all the staff and management such satisfaction to meet such wonderful people here at the Suncliff.
Im most pleased you enjoyed the Penthouse and the Hotel and will pass your kind comments to Pavlina. We really hope to see you, Colin and Chloe again soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed 27 August 2010

We didn't stay at the hotel thank goodness, but my grandmother wanted to take the family out as a treat for Sunday lunch. We arrived at the hotel and finally found the restaurant on the lower floor (there were no obvious signs and no staff around to point it out). When we walked in through the door, we were moaned at by what appeared to be the restaurant manager for going through the wrong door, despite the fact there was no way we could tell this. He pointed to the other door and told us to wait there - I felt like a naughty school child being punished. After he'd finished chastising one of the staff for leaving this wrong door open he evenually decided we'd been taught our lesson and allowed us to be shown to a seat. We were given two menus between the 6 of us (the waitress told us there weren't enough, even through the restaurant was a quarter full. I hoped that it was just a bad start, but our starter of soup (which was quite tasty) arrived without bread and we gave up asking for some. The roast dinner was one of the worst I've ever tasted; the yorkshire puddings were inedible, the parsnips crunchy and the meat was fatty. We ordered water with our meal, intending to order additional drinks once we'd chosen, but after spending half an hour trying to get the attention of a waitress, gave up. I was really pleased to get away.

1  Thank historyg1rl
BournemouthSuncliff, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2010

I am very disappointed to here your experience at our carvery was not to our usual high standard. I have just taken the time to walk from our car park to the restaurant door. On my way I passed our large reception area (on Sundays this would have three receptionist on duty) also in the reception area there would be a host (normally myself) on the front door to greet lunch goers on there arrival plus our front office manager whom takes guests down to the restaurant door. I also passed bar staff and at the top to the stairs leading down to the restaurant there is a ‘Restaurant’ sign (when using the lift there is a floor list detailing the location of the restaurant), when reaching the restaurant door the host (again on a Sunday the general manager) would find you a table, the restaurant manager then shows guests to their seats, when this has been done a waiter would take care of the rest of your stay. The first set of doors have to be blocked due to the ‘buffet’ nature carvery and the hot holding unit is situated in front of these doors, so for safety and to prevent congestion it is not used and usually blocked.

Here at the Suncliff we have many regular customers of our Sunday lunch and we are very often complemented on the freshness and quality of the food. Our restaurant team are extremely professional and polite and the team is lead by a highly experienced and passionate Manager who is regularly remarked in comment card and reviews for his excellent customer service and warm friendly approach.

We take all guest feed back very seriously and rely on comments to make improvements where we see fit. Our Sunday lunch is very successful so I must say I am surprised to have such negative feed back. I would also go one step further and say that You have only used one of our facilities, our restaurant, as a hotel we provide plenty more!

Kind regards,

Andrew Potter

Reviewed 25 August 2010

Situated 15 minute walk to center of town and 1 minute from the beach plus 10 minutes the other direction there are some excellent places to eat and drink on the beach front.
Service is excellent and the rooms top class. We stayed on the top floor beach front with balcony and I highly recommend you do the same.
The only thing that spoilt it was the weather.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlexD0372
BournemouthSuncliff, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2010

Dear Happy Cusomer
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I am glad you enjoyed the Club level at the Suncliff, it is a great addition to the Hotel and boasts probably the best rooms in Bournemouth. I do sympathise with you in terms of the weather but I hope the Hotel gave you plenty of optional activities to keep you amused.
Look forward to your return.

Reviewed 24 August 2010

NEVER stay at this hotel. How it’s in the top 25 in Bournemouth is beyond me.

Myself and 3 friends have just come back from a weekend away and we stayed a couple of nights here. For all 4 of us to stay in a room it set us back a hefty £249 a night. Pretty expensive if you consider it’s a small triple with an extra bed.

I’m not going to go on forever, as the price of the room and the photos I took should put you off sufficiently. However, just so a list exists:

Grubby room on arrival (dead wasps on bed and windowsill)
No lock on bathroom door
Tiny, tiny old school 12 inch TV
Pay on arrival, not departure
No signs anywhere, a right old rabbit warren
Scummy pool, no towels
Dangerous taped up sockets
Shoddy unpolished furniture
1 key (old school, not a card) between 4 people
A tremendous amount of friendly staff but with a fairly unprofessional and completely gormless attitude to it all
Internet = no wifi, a 'pay-as-you-go' terminal from c.1999
Finally, whilst I love and respect the ‘elder generation’ it wasn’t the right weekend for us to be stuck in a hotel where we were the youngest guests by a good 40 years

Please avoid it until they clean their act up or slash their prices.

Manager – I’d love to see your response.

Thanks

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends

Dear reviewer
Thank you for your comments about the Suncliff Hotel, whilst I will endeavour to answer to your comments as best as I can, I feel everything you have decided to say about the Hotel is now long after you have left, leaving us unable to show you how quickly and efficiently we deal with issues around the Hotel, address matters and make all of our guests stays as comfortable as possible with us.
What can be done now that you have left and have decided to write a review a week late! Surely if you wished to have a pleasant stay and enjoy yourselves you would have raised any issues with the management of the Hotel whilst you were here? Which you didn’t. We have 2 onsite maintenance men contracted all year and a qualified decorator, not to mention a 24 hour porter facility. I accept your bathroom door was not up to standard and has been addressed immediately. The plug socket again has been fixed and new guidelines have been put in place to ensure things like your socket are not left in that condition again. The first picture you have posted is a perfectly adequate piece of our furniture that is ok, I don’t quite see why it is made to look worse with other items not being part of the bedroom’s décor scattered around it making it look untidy!! It has been inspected and is secure and fixed properly. We are investing in our bedrooms having refurbished 13 last year and 6 so far this year we are continually pouring money back into our product and our regular customers who visit every year do notice the ongoing improvement.
No towels!! We have hundred of towels and have never run out. I can’t put it any other way. Did you know to collect them from reception for use in the pools additional to the towels you have in your bedroom?
We have a professional outside contractor who cleans and maintains our pool 3 times weekly as well as 2 tests a day carried out by the management of the Hotel to ensure sufficient chlorine and P.H Levels. There is no indication of scum around the pool I have to say.
We are in the process of a massive digital changeover with the Televisions, this an enormous cost but will happen by 2011. We are more than proud of this project as only by being so successful in our product do we have the profits and funds to pour back into our Hotel hence making it possible.
You have stayed at the Suncliff during the high season, all Hotels are slightly more expensive during these busy periods as availability is very sparse and every other hotel within Bournemouth would have had the same mark up as us. This is purely a fundamental rule of Business. To be so prominently positioned within 5 minutes of the beach, overlooking the sea, with an indoor leisure centre, with Jacuzzi and Sauna, bar food served daily, a restaurant that serves high quality food and has a reputation that exceeds itself along with nightly entertainment, squash courts and a children’s games room during the school holidays I feel we try to cater for everyone and this is more than justified in the rate paid.
In conclusion I will just say that if you go and stay in a Hotel elsewhere try to raise your issues at the time so they can be put right rather than writing them on the web a week later, you could find yourself pleasantly surprised and not have to write a bitter review after!
Suncliff Hotel