“Wel, Done Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
milton keynes
“Wel, Done Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

This was a last min.com and was worried after reading some bad reviews. My husband and I booked in for 3 nights,When we saw our first room we were not too happy as it was a famiy room with 5 beds, but with out any fuss our room was exchanged for a double, the room was quite cold again with no fuss a heater was supplied within minutes. My I thank the house keeping staff as our room was spotless and clean, and everything worked as it should, we had a very comfy stay, also may I thank Chef and his team, we ate every night and each day the food was high class and lots of choice, this also was with our breakfast I could not fault it at all, the waiting staff were extreamly profesional which was a credit to the restaurant manager. I would like to say well done to the managers as they run a tight ship and it showed, it was a pleasure to stay there. The majority of guest that stayed there were elderly, but that ensured no party noise, or hassle from drunken louts which suited our stay for a chilled out break. WELL DONE SUNCLIFF HOTEL and thanks.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank elizabeth3107
rcarley, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2010
Dear Happy Customer

Just a quick word to saya huge thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments and thoughts about our hotel. We all felt that your review was very honest and accurate and will aid others greatly when choosing to book with us.
Your comments will be viewed by many of our staff, it really does provide them with satisfaction and gives them a boost to continue their good work. More often than not it is the not so good reviews that seem to make their way onto Trip Advisor, this does not provide an accurate picture of our hotel and its many happy guests that stay with us time and time again but unfortunately this is the unfair reality. So once again a really BIG thank you for taking the time to paint an honest picture of the Suncliff.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to Bournemouth and the Suncliff again soon.

Kind regards,

Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2010

like to thank pavlina at reception made us fill very welcome. had a lovely room on the 4th floor room was nice and clean .staff very helpful .cook breatfest very good iff you want a good location i would say you should stay at this hotel les and mandy

2 Thank mandy186338
Les & Mandy thank you for taking the time to post you wonderful comments about our hotel and staff.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to The Suncliff Hotel and Bournemouth again soon.

Kind Regards

Assistant Manager
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

I have never left a review before, but niether have I ever been so appalled! I am not fussy, I camp, go backbacking and stay in hotel...

I had had gone through numerous reviews to find a decent hotel suitable for a family trip for extended family from abroad.

The photos looked ok and it was near the sea.

It was absolutely DISMAL.

the rooms cost £100 each

Basic doesn't decribe it.
Itchy brown Blankets like relics from ww1.
A reeking smell of damp. Unending noise from the stairs, not stepping but insane creaking. Walls like paper; didnt sleep due to noise above.

The room was tiny with an endless droning noise from whatever huge airvent that was directly outside our rooms. It was that weird close hot, which made the smell even worse. opening the window meant the droning noise was too much!

Everything in the room was ancient in a filthy totally un-cool 70's way. I was tempted to sleep outside.

I was so exhausted having arrived at the hotel at midnight and after driving 200 miles...I called at 6am to complain about the noise but they were snappy and said i should have said something earlier.

This place is totally disgusting. I cant believe it exists!

Everything was so

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sailorsarah
rcarley, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2010
I am appalled at such a review, people like you do not realise the impact you have on my hard working staff that have dedicated years to make the Suncliff what it is today! A well run customer friendly seaside hotel.
Our rates are very competitive to our local 3* hotels and all our rooms are graded by the AA. Just because some of our rooms have character and yes an older style, not a clinical cream washed box, uniformed and repeated 100 times through the hotel!!!
Many hotels use blankets as and they come with crisp white sheets 80% of our rooms now have duvets and these are even available on request I personally prefer sheets and blankets when at a hotel its personal choice!
My night porters are anything but snappy and are there to help whenever possible, both have been with the company for many years and are professionals at their chosen career. You may think the Hotel is disgusting but I would say that your review is just as bad and unfair.
The hotel offers so many facilities indoor leisure, squash courts, pool, restaurant and bar, nightly entertainment and the unique use of our sister hotels right next door, how on earth is this Basic?
I will be the first to take any constructive/ negative comments if I feel they will better my product but all I can take from this review is utter menace and my staff do not deserve such rude remarks. In summary you are not welcome at our oceana resort in the future and suggest you stick to the travel lodges and premier inns you must be used to.
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2010

I recently had occasion to stay at the Suncliff Hotel in Bournemouth. Many thanks to all the staff who I came into contact with, including the restaurant staff, reception staff and the porters, who were all friendly, helpful and charming and a credit to the hotel. I thought the food was excellent, so also thanks to the chef and all other kitchen staff. My room was very clean so also a thankyou to the person/people responsible for that.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank aylesbury88
BournemouthSuncliff, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2010
Dear Reviewer, thank you for your kind comments.
I am glad you appreciated and enjoyed all aspects and facilities of the Hotel and have passed on your kind comments to the Restaurant manager, Head Chef and the Concierge. I am glad you enjoyed the food and the accomodation provided.
I look forward to welcoming you back.
Daniel Jordan
Deputy Manager
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

Stayed with my partner as a last minute trip away normal go for larger chains but left it too late and got the suncliff at a good rate. The check in was good reception were lovely. The room was an older style but recieved a free seaview upgrade and the view was beautiful really showed how lucky we are to be by the south coast. I have family on the Isle Of Wight and to be able to see the Island every morning was a treat.
We never used the restaurant but did use the bar, again the staff were friendly and we met two of the managers they were putting some promotion together and asked for some local infomation they were again very helpful and I think his name was Andrew even moved his car and paid to be on the road so we could get our car in the car park. Nothing seemed too much for the staff, which these days is rare to find. The pool was a nice surprise, we didnt realise it was there till check in so went and bought some shorts and took a dip, lovely and warm.

I have always said a holiday is what you make of it and I only have one or two a year so we always make the most of what we have and we both really enjoyed this trip, next time though we will pay a little extra and have one of thier penthouse rooms as after taking a sneaky peek they were lush!

our thanks to the suncliff team!

2 Thank robby81
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank your for taking the time to review your experience at the Suncliff hotel.

I am sure your comments will aid other in making an informed choice when booking accommodation in Bournemouth.

I do hope you see you again.

Best wishes,

Stamford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

The Suncliff Hotel in Bournemouth would make a fortune if it marketed itself as a "Life on Mars" or "Fawlty Towers" themed hotel.

But it doesn't.

Instead it markets itself as a classic seaside hotel.

Unfortunately it is just horrible. Everything about it creeks. From the floorboards in your room, that make your every movement feel like you (and every other occupant) are creeping about on a Spanish Galleon, to the car park that creeks under the lack of car parking spaces for guests. From the sheets on your bed, ripped and faded from too much use, to the staff jaded by too many questions. The staff were too timid or dismissive to even ask, as we checked out, if we had enjoyed our stay - perhaps they knew what response that would evoke!

- it just seems tired and several steps behind the modern tourist.

Our room was box like with a portable TV from the '70's - I kept expecting to see Larry Grayson's Generation Game appear at any minute. There was no lock on the bathroom door and plenty of mould on the wall by the headboard of our bed, a bed that would have passed the test for the role of a station platform at Kings Cross.

And to top it all I paid through the hooter for it - with no breakfast included.

I would give this place a seriously wide birth - it is truly awful.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Stevedunne1
BournemouthSuncliff, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2010
I find your comments baffling! Here at the Suncliff we take all guest feedback very seriously and investigate in all circumstances with the view of improving our hotel. I have been up to the room you stayed in to personally inspect the “mouldy” wall by the head board and found there to be nothing wrong with it what so ever!

Furthermore I really do think that you should think before writing such vicious comments about our staff who all give a lot of time and effort into our hotel and are a very big part of our product, as customer service is our forte and we pride ourselves on our warm friendly approach and for evidence of this you only have to look at the other reviews, we are very proud of our team, comments like this can seriously damage their moral.

We are at this very moment, replacing most of our older televisions at a huge cost, to more modern flat screen digital televisions.

I don’t see the need for a lock on a bathroom door of a single room!??

As for the price that you paid just, £50 I do not believe to be “through the hooter” for a hotel offering the facilities that we provide, use of the gym, sauna, jacuzzi, choice of three pool (both in door and out), squash courts, four restaurants to dine in all serving fantastic food and at the location we are in right in the heart of Bournemouth and as for your comments about no breakfast included that would be because you booked room only?!!!

We provide free parking for 160 vehicles across the Oceana resort with a further nine hundred spaces offering free over night parking we rarely have trouble with parking here.

I have had no reports of any problems during you stay, perhaps you could have let one of the management team know that you were not happy during your stay allowing us to put things right for you and thus illuminating the need to place such a mendacious review.

I suspect that you have perhaps you your self have spent to long on mars and you maybe struggling to grasp reality here on earth.
Lochgelly, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

Have just returned from a stay at the Suncliff, our Room was excellent, the staff were equally first class and the breakfasts were also excellent. We would certainly use this hotel again.

1 Thank Johnstone1690
BournemouthSuncliff, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2010
Dear happy customer, many thanks for your review and your kind comments. Im glad you enjoyed the Hotel and that you were pleased with your overall experience.
Look forward to seeing you back soon.

Daniel Jordan