“Good hotel with friendly staff”

Best Western Montague Hotel
Ranked #46 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Stayed at this hotel for the 3rd time as our son lives in Bournemouth. The hotel is good with very friendly staff. Breakfast is buffet style except for tea/coffee and the cooked breakfast that was served to the table and was excellent in nice room downstairs from reception with swimming pool outside.
They have an adequate bar with comfortable seats, where you can order from their menu in the evening if you wish.
Our room was very nice with tea/coffee making facilities, an ironing board and iron, hair-dryer and trouser press. The bed is two single beds together with large mattress and bathroom very nice with good shower. Room was warm but plenty of windows to open to cool it down.
Only criticism was creaking floorboards from room above and being kept awake by snoring from next room, but that is not hotels fault!
All in all would definitely stay here again when visiting Bournemouth.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
BestWesternMontague, Front Office Manager at Best Western Montague Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Dear Gloryhornetboy08 from West Sussex,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again. On behalf of the snoring neighbour I do apologise.
We hope to see you again on your 4th visit to see your son. Thank you for submitting 5 out of 5 for location, room, cleanliness and service.
Kindest regards
Anna Kingston

There are newer reviews for Best Western Montague Hotel

Reviewed 15 September 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night as we were seeing John Bishop the comedian at the BIC in Bournemouth. It was clean, comfortable and good value - breakfast included in the price. There was a bar in the hotel which stayed open till quite late, the rooms had a hair dryer and iron/board, free wifi in the hotel. It basically had everything you needed for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Troutfish
BestWesternMontague, General Manager at Best Western Montague Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Dear Troutfish,
We are so glad you enjoyed your show and also your stay. The BIC and Pavillion Theatre are building on there events calendar for next year with some great line ups. If anything stands out please give us a call so we can sort out a good return deal for you. Kindest regards

Reviewed 31 August 2012

My husband, 16 month old daughter and I booked a family weekend away in June. We chose the hotel specifically as it stated no same sex groups were allowed. When we arrived there were 2 stag parties and 1 hen already in full swing. Staff assured us all would be quiet. To cut a long story short we had NO sleep on the Friday night- kept awake by kazoos and all sorts of shrieks and hoots more like a student hall than a hotel! We decided to check out early the next morning as the baby had been very frightened by the banging about and were told we could claim a refund for the night we didnt stay if we checked out on time- which we did. Several emails to the management later we still have had no refund on the basis that the events were "beyond their control." I have not even had a reply to my last email. They offered me a free night's stay or £20 voucher as they stated they had no control over third-party internet booking sites so could not ensure stag parties did not book there. Yet their policy states that they can remove unruly guests- so I beg to differ that they had no control. The staff were generally friendly and apologetic at the time, but I found the management to be severely lacking in customer service skills! The long and short of it is that this hotel is NOT a family venue- DO NOT consider it if you are taking a young family as you run the risk of a very disrupted night's sleep. Added to that the management are unwilling to accept this as their fault- so I can hardly see that it will change. I dont understand why they would offer me a night's stay but not just refund the night we lost when we had to find another hotel (The Yenton)- which I must add was excellent, and very friendly compared to The Montague with its lousy management. very unhappy with the whole experience and I would NOT touch the place with a bargepole (unless I am a hen!)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank charlotte t

Dear Charlotte T,
With reference to your review we do not advertise as a stag/hen venue however we are a hotel and sometimes we never knowingly accept bookings due to singular bookings coming through third party websites. I have replied to you seperately to this TripAdvisor review and hope we can come to some arrangement with regards to the stay we have offered you.
Once again I apologise for the problems you incurred during your stay with us.
Kindest Regards

Reviewed 28 August 2012

The Best Western Montague has an excellent position on Bournemouth's West Cliff, with the Town, Pier and Gardens a short walk down the hill.
It is also within a short, flat stroll of the Cliff top, with it's delightful views all around the bay, and Durley Chine, with it's lovely beach and facilities, is also a short walk down a hill.
The Hotel itself gave a very pleasant, welcoming impression, and it was immaculately clean and well laid out, with a generous free car park; quite a luxury in Bournemouth these days.
There was also a pleasant, roomy lounge bar and a terrace by the pool for drinks, and casual evening meals could be served in the lounge, if wanted.
Our room was light, quiet and pleasant, with a good shower room.
We were on 'Bed and Breakfast' terms only, and the breakfast; in the sunny dining room with swimming pool outside, was generous, hot and fresh.
We found all the staff very pleasant, efficient and friendly.
We would definitely come here again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the lowest level, beneath the bar, lounge and reception, and although it was on the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear William556,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a lovely review. The best thing is that you say you will come and see us again!

Reviewed 28 August 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Vera G
BestWesternMontague, General Manager at Best Western Montague Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Reviewed 1 August 2012

Recently stayed at the Montague Hotel with two double rooms booked and pre-paid for. The checking in process was ok, however, the female receptionist was quite rude as she would not allow me to have both of the room keys as our other party had not arrived yet. I explained that both rooms were booked under my name and I just wanted to see the room and would return the key to her straight after. Eventually, she provided me with the other key.

Both rooms were of the same rate, however one of the rooms was quite small, especially for double occupancy and did not equal to the size of the the other room. I was very dissapointed as when I made a reservation, I was encouraged to book directly with the hotel rather than on booking.com and was told that if i did they would allocate 'excellent rooms' to me. I now wonder if I did book on booking.com which rooms they would allocate to me, as it came across as if you book on an agency site you would not be allocated an 'excellent room' as the hotel would have to pay commission!

I queried this with the receptionist, and was told that there was nothing she could do as I had already paid for the rooms, which was ridiculous! Surely pre-paying for a room would not exempt you from changing rooms! The receptionist was extremely rude and in the end we just stayed in the rooms that were allocated to us.

Breakfast the next day was again dissapointing, ordered hot food which was cold by the time it was served. Had to ask for it to be re-heated.

Checkout process, was fine as we had already paid, we did not need to communicate much to the receptionist...Thank god!

Overall, the location was ideal especially as it was minutes walk to the nearest local shops and to the beach, however the receptionist in particular let the whole stay down for us!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank ckc29
BestWesternMontague, Front Office Manager at Best Western Montague Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

CKC29 I am extremely dissapointed to read your review, concerning the staff member and the customer service you received at our hotel. After looking into your reservation further I can advise the specific member of staff you are relating to has indeed left the hotel. We pride ourselves on our customer service and i was shocked to read these comments. It would be lovely to welcome you to the hotel again if you could give us another chance to provide a superior experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct to arrange this personally.
Kindest Regards
Anna Kingston
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 30 July 2012

We booked this hotel for a break to celebrate our 35th Wedding Anniversary. On booking a superior room I conveyed that it was a special occasion and requested we be given a nice room.

Our room was on the top floor (3rd) in the eaves and consequently head space was a little compromised because of this and the room was in no way superior. I would judge it to be a basic double.It was very clean and had basically everything we needed. It was also very hot up there, especially in the corridors.

The bathroom was overall good but there was no toilet roll holder. Lovely white fluffy towels were provided.

We noticed upon entering the room that there was a strong fishy smell and discovered it was emanating from the fitted double wardrobe. This had spare bedding in but we didn't investigate it any further or use it to hang our clothes in.

The bed was very comfortable but we didn't get a good nights sleep. This was due to several things. One, the creaking floorboards. The hotel are very aware of this and even comment on it in their book but we didn't realise the extent of it. We couldn't get to sleep until everyone else around us were settled in bed and were woken very early in the morning when people started moving about.I don't know how much worse this noise might be if we had been on a lower floor and had people above us. We were also woken at 4am by the seagulls having a party on the roof! Obviously not the hotels fault but something to bear in mind if you are on the top floor.

The walls were very thin and we could clearly hear voices from next door. Unfortunately for us they had a small child who woke early and needed entertaining. Not their fault and they were only talking in normal voices but nevertheless we could hear every word.

Our room could also be overlooked by neighbouring buildings, so we felt we had to close the curtains when dressing etc. and at night when we had the light on.

Breakfast was very good and all staff were very friendly and helpful during our stay.

One big disappointment was the outdoor swimming pool. It was very dirty and unusable.

We would not stay here again, mainly due to the creaky floorboards but its a good location for both the town and the promanade. We thought our room was over-priced at £116 for the night (and this had been discounted) but perhaps it was because it was a Saturday and high season.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Surreyhunni

Dear Surreyhunni,
Thank you for your overall comments about the hotel. My apologies about your room - we advise our guests about the creaky floorboards to ensure they know we are aware of the situation. It is something we are looking into for the future, we would love it if you would consider joining us again and I will ensure personally you are well look after.

Best wishes and thank you again