“Excellent from A to Z”

Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent from A to Z”
Reviewed 2 November 2012

My mother and I have recently stayed at The Hermitage for 5 nights.We have been staying here for many years.As usual the service was excellent ,the staff polite and helpful at all times , food top of the range and we would never consider staying any where else in Bournemouth .Our room which was on the ground floor was very spacious warm and comfortable . Cleanliness was superb.The hotel is well positioned and is close to the beach shops and entertainment.What more could any one wish for ? We hope to return here for many more years.

Room Tip: If ou are with a disabled or elderly person ground floor rooms are spacious and well equiped.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2012

The service was excellent from the booking stage right through to leaving. It has a really traditional feel and in many ways just like going back in time. Breakfast was very good and my room was very comfortable. All the staff were very courteous and attentive.

Would hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: I was lucky and asked for a sea view - well worth asking for an upgrade
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Stayed for one night whilst going to see a concert.
We stayed in room 405 the room was freezing when we entered. We went and asked on numerous occasions at the reception to turn the heating on. After about two hours it actually started to come on. I asked the manager if we could change rooms and he said they are all the same!
It was so cold, I have never stayed in a room that was this cold, it was ridiculous.

When we came back to the room after the concert at midnight, the room was freezing again. We tried to sleep but at 4am decided we had enough and left the hotel at 6am. Heating never came on. At this point we just wanted to go home.

It spoilt our weekend away! Terrible! Avoid!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank MikePz
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I checked into the Hermitage Hotel in Bournemouth at the beginning of a 7 month business contract in Bournemouth and I ended up staying there Mon-Friday every week for the full period as I was so impressed from walking into the reception on day 1!!
The hotel is is a prime spot for access to the beautiful coastline, beaches, park, theatres and shopping centre. The hotel staff in every area of the hotel were extremely polite and friendly. The standard of service provided in the restaurant, bar lounge, and room service delivered by Charles and his team was outstanding. It was a real pleasure to witness such good manners, speed, and cleanliness in a truly traditional style hotel.
Menu selection was varied regularly, and the quality of the food was excellent.
Although alone on business, I was made to feel extremely welcome and thoroughly enjoyed the interesting conversations with all of the Hotel staff and Manager who I will genuinely miss.
No matter what your reason for visiting Bournemouth is I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Janet R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2012

The Hermitage is in an excellent position right in the town centre near the shops, transport and by the sea and the pleasure gardens. I loved my room and thought there were some nice touches of hospitality.

The service both reception and in the dining rooms was very good. There was a buffet style breakfast with the normal things save pototoes and perhaps there could have been more choice of fruit but the hot buffet was very good and there was plenty of it.

Room Tip: I booked a sea view and had a room on the second floor which was roomy and very comfortable
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank patricia k
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I spent long week-end, with my friends I have known for forty years plus. I was comfortable.
The service was outstanding. Manners excellent, food out of this world, and above all really clean. We did not use the car at all. Very central location, and mainly flat for the wheelchair (which the hotel help me locate at South-coast motorbility,) I commend the the services all round.
Nothing was too much trouble especially for my friend who had dietry problems. We had a great time and will go again. Thank you Hermitage

Room Tip: All rooms I visited were more than adequate
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank KathyL244
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I found the hotel itself very nice (old but well maintained) and the staff exremely friendly.

Room was enormous. Huuuge.

Bathroom new and clean. Found the shower rather odd as you couldn't control water flow and it came out like a fire hose. And what is it with British people and seperate hot and cold taps. It is NOT charming. The hotel has been renocated so it's not like it's original fittings.

We were the youngest people staying in the hotel and we are around 40ish. Everyone else seemed over 60. Very odd. If you are young think twice. I wish I had known as I prefer younger more vibrant crowd.

Location excellent and room was quiet.

Food was nice but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends