“Enjoyable stay”

The Hermitage Hotel Bournemouth
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Great location. Lovely hotel, great friendly helpful professional staff, comfortable quiet spacious (superior) room with everything we needed including bath robes/slippers. the only negative were the pillows - not the best. The bed was huge and comfortable.
Breakfast was plentiful and tasty and a superb choice! cannot fault it at all.
would happily stay again and would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GraziellaBella

Reviewed 22 August 2014

This is the fourth time we have stayed here and EVERY time has been a pleasure. We now visit with my 8 year old daughter and she doesn't want to stay anywhere else. Staff always friendly and helpful, rooms clean and spacious and food is absolutely lovely. We WILL be back!!!

1  Thank Rockchef
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This was my first visit to Bournemouth and I wanted a central 4 star hotel, so chose the hotel from the tourist brochure. I always ask for a double bed and was offered a compact room, double bed with a sea view. This sounded attractive so I accepted although I had reservations about the use of the word compact.
Upon arrival the public rooms looked clean and inviting and were equipped with air con. My room on the fourth floor was indeed compact, or small to say the least but they did warn me. I was surprised to see it equipped for two people ie two chairs bath towels. There were ample coat hangers (12) for one but little drawer space. It was a warm week but no air con in this room. The large fan provided didn't appear to help much but took up valuable space and the window only opened a few inches, so cool air was almost non existent. My bed was very comfortable and the room was always well cleaned.
There were two small bottles of water provided each day on a complimentary basis, which was a nice touch and much needed in a very hot room.
My bathroom was internal and lacked space to put even my basic toiletries. The glass shelf above the wash basin was already full with two glasses and a plastic tray. There was a metal shelf like structure in the far corner of the bathroom which I could reach with some stretching but could so easily have been better equipped. Bathroom only 2 star.
During my stay I used the stairs quite a lot and saw into other rooms when the cleaning people left the doors open for the air to circulate and this left me somewhat dissatisfied as all the rooms I saw were bigger than mine and the lower corridors were cooler.
The breakfast was adequate but at no time did they provide the usual range (my opinion of course) of fresh fruit e.g.apples, bananas which I expect 4 star hotels to supply. Prunes.grapefruit segments, pineapple slices, melon were provided. However the evening meals were excellent.
All the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful and were a credit to the hotel.
Sorry if I've been a bit picky but I did pay a high rate for my stay and the room really spoilt it for me. I travel a great deal and am used to being put in the least attractive rooms and appreciate hotels have to try a let these type of rooms. I just wish it was not to me..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TerryStaffordEngland
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I booked here as a last minute 3 night stay via the hotel website and although expensive my mother and I had a very pleasant break. I had asked for a sea view twin room and said that my mother had problems walking so would not be able to climb stairs and all this was taken into consideration as we were given room 417 which has a fantastic sea view and was not far from the lifts on the top floor.
Very pleased with the room and bathroom, very clean and well decorated. The only drawbacks were the high bed heads which covered the light switches and the plug sockets were in odd places.
The free car park and wifi is a bonus, however the wifi connection wasn't good from the bedroom.
The staff are very friendly and helpful on check-in and we had a pleasant light meal in the bar area on the night we arrived which was good value for money.
Breakfast was OK but there needed to be more staff on duty. The tea and toast arrived after we had fetched and eaten our cooked food, a nearby table said it had taken over 20 minutes for their drinks to arrive, which is too long. The cooked food was standard and we had to ask for plates each day as they seemed to run out quickly. The service was friendly, but more people would have been better. The same applied to the bar area; the afternoon tea was very good, but it took a while for staff to appear each time we went in for food or drinks and I had to go and find them on several occasions. The staff were very friendly and worked hard, so it felt that there needed to be more of them.
The position of the hotel is excellent and wheelchair friendly, with easy access to the beach, promenade, gardens and into the shopping centre.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed at the Hotel this weekend for one night whilst celebrating a friends Birthday. The staff were extremely friendly and professional. The public areas of the Hotel were tastefully decorated and the food in the restaurant was excellent; both the dinner at night and the breakfast. The 'front of house' waiter especially gave great service.

We didn't expect a fantastic room, as it was a standard twin room but at £174 for one night we did expect a decent shower. The bath was chipped and the only way we could shower was to hold the shower head above your head whilst trying to shampoo your hair etc! The shower hose just wouldn't fit on the clip how whether many times we tried. Maybe our room was an exception but I thought that a basic requirement would be a modern working shower.

I would return to the hotel for the restaurant but I am afraid that I would not return to stay as I felt the room was poor value for money.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GaleB565
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Great location but Small dated rooms and toilets 2/3* only! Payed £310 per couple!! 2 nights - way too much for this type of hotel. Could book cheaper else where! London hotels are better for same amount of money!
Fly infestation in first room- no apology from managers ! but blond lady at reception was nice moved us straight away.
Had friends pick us up from car park, a man approached them stating he was general manger -no name badge worn! becoming rude, he had made his point on why he was questioning them ( general manager was blocking them in while waiting for me. my friends just wanted to know how long they would be blocked in for as we were about to leave!) When I saw this I said I'm a paying customer they have come to pick me up. Instead of ending his convo with my friends there, he continued trying to prove his point exercising his ego, he knew he was in the wrong and was trying to make sure he left the convo with his ego intact! This hotel doesn't value the high customers! Would only book here again if cheaper but otherwise never again!

Room Tip: Look around before booking
3  Thank shahprk
helimad3, Manager at The Hermitage Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for the comments, little unsure why you have omitted details. Fly infestation claim immediately investigated, Duty Manager came straight up to your room and you both looked around to identify, when the fly was spotted it was released through the open window.

Regarding your car park experience we do have CCTV evidence that this was not an employee of the hotel and would happily show you the imagery so that you could correct your review.

As the only hotel in central Bmth with complimentary on-site parking we try to police to the best of our ability but without putting a permanent parking attendant or charge we are unsure how we could prevent.

Hi Everyone,

We have been staying at this hotel for over 10 years. During that time our family has grown from 1 to 3 children and the care we get each year has been excellent. We (especially me as I am a foodie) really look forward to our dinner and breakfast experiences and the occasional Hermitage Tea! We have visited other hotels in Bournemouth but we never end up booking them as we never feel the same. The staff are all very friendly and professional making this positive review easy to write. The added bonus of this great hotel is the location, you will not find a better one. Just walk out the door and you are a couple of minutes away from a great park with lots of summer activities or in the other direction the fabulous beach with its long shoreline and family-friendly short walk to a dip in the cool, often summer sun drenched sea. Stay and enjoy the delights of the Hermitage Hotel and everything Bournemouth has to offer!

Room Tip: Depends on your family size. We get a great room with the 2 youngest in with us in their own single...