“This Hotel has everything”

The Hermitage Hotel Bournemouth
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Quality of Service was Excellent
Rooms spacious and well furnished and spotlessly clean
Food presentation superb and quality excellent
Reception and staff in general were friendly and always helpful

• Stayed: May 2009

Reviewed 16 April 2009

The location, hotels entrance and room were great but there were many drawbacks. Weather was not great and unlike other hotels I have stayed at in Bournemouth there was no gym, pool, spa or entertainment area. Breakfast variety was not great (full english breakfast without baked beans well I never). We had a number of problems we had to raise with the hotel (we do not usually complain) and the staff response at the reception area I felt was quite rude. Would not be back to this hotel when I next holiday at Bournemouth.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AuzzieAdventuror
Reviewed 6 April 2009

We arrived in Bournemouth not having booked ahead and discovered this hotel when we were driving past the beach. It is a 3 star, but makes a very good attempt at being better than that. It is seconds from the pier and a beautiful park containing the famous (infamous!) Bournemouth Eye, which is an experience.

The staff were friendly and we were upgraded to a superior room at no extra cost. The room was spacious and clean.

Very pleased with this hotel and happy to recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Our party was of 69 in total. Some were staying the whole weekend and a few could only make it for the Saturday night. Everyone agreed at the end of the weekend what a great time was had by all. All the staff were polite and friendly and would go that extra yard to ensure that our stay was enjoyable.
The accommodation is of a high standard the rooms being light and airy, clean and with all the usual amenities - coffee making, TV, hairdryer, iron etc. However no mini bars.
The restaurant staff were attentive and the food was exceptional, well presented and sufficient for even the heartiest trencherman. Breakfast is buffet style and continually replenished.
Position wise you couldn't want for a better place - directly opposite the pier and next to the gardens. No roads to cross when you want to go for an after dinner consitutional along the promenade.
All in all an extremely friendly hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank TrickyMickyStaines
Reviewed 4 March 2009

The best thing about the hotel is the location. Literally a stone's throw from the BIC, The Hermitage is a striking building with sea views. We got a free upgrade to a superior room with a sea view (just about!) as we changed our booking at the last minute, which was a result, but did highlight how expensive it is as the new room was large and bright and with some period style, but not the height of luxury or anything.

It's very quiet (a few creaky floorboards from upstairs notwithstanding) and the room was very clean. We didn't eat there, although the restaurant and eating areas are spacious and quite plush. Room service had a distinct lack of veggie options - none! - but we weren't planning on using it anyway and I'm sure they would sort something out if asked.

I agree with another reviewer that it is pretty geared up for older, well to do people, and there was certainly a masonic vibe on one of the evenings as I'm sure I saw a funny handshake or two at a large function they were holding. So, all a bit Hyacinth Bouquet in the lobby etc.

I would probably stay here again, especially if I was going to the BIC or Pavillion, but for a longer stay I reckon there are probably better bargains to be had.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LolaBirdie
Reviewed 3 February 2009

I can understand why this hotel has some very good reviews, but I am 30 and my feeling is that it would generally be more to the taste of older visitors.

My room was perfectly clean and tidy and reasonably sized. The hotel staff were extremely pleasant and helpful and the location was good for both the sea front and the centre of the town. The continental breakfast was also fairly decent and served in a very light dining room. There is free wi-fi, which functioned very well.

I have given it a neutral rating to reflect the fact that I thought it had a very dated feel notwithstanding the wi-fi. I got a strong sense that the hotel was aimed at older visitors. The decor seemed dated, albeit not especially worn. The newspaper on the reception desk was the Daily Mail. I think the place is popular with Masonic lodges. The atmosphere in the breakfast room was not particularly relaxed and the service a little bit over-attentive for my liking.

I think that my choice of this hotel was influenced by the very modern impression given by the glamorous photo of the hotel lit up at night used on the hotel's tripadvisor page. In my view it is not representative of the whole.

Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank LondonTraveller1978
Reviewed 25 January 2009

Stayed one night on business - wasn't sure what to expect but opted for this hotel based purely upon earlier reviews. Turned up at midday - booked in no problem. Was given free room upgrade to a suite which was very nice indeed. The room and hotel are pleasantly decorated and clean (these being important criteria to me), the staff very helpfull and breakfast excellent. Location was a pleasant surprise with the hotel being directly opposite the pier but sufficiently back enough to avoid blast of coastal winds. Only note of slight discontent was when booking out the receptionist tried to make me pay even though I'd already paid via booking website - luckily I had my Blackberry and was able to show her mail containing pre-paid voucher.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank BizTravels_UK