“No complaints”

Ranked #39 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
warrington
“No complaints”
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Just returned from a 5 day break with Shearings. The public rooms have been upgraded
to a high standard with lots of comfortable sofas. Lovely to sit and relax and take in the
view of the gardens and the sea beyond. Single room (323) on the third floor was dated
and overlooked the car park but it was a decent size and was clean and comfortable.
The bathroom was also a good size for a single room and was spotlessly clean.
The food was excellent with plenty of choice and the service very quick. All the staff were
excellent, they worked very hard always smiling and spoke good English. I shall return !

Room Tip: Garden fronting rooms are best but all singles are at the back
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank tillytops
johnwtaylor, Manager at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2011
Thank you for the lovely review, please note that we do have Single Garden fronting rooms for no extra charge, when you book just give the hotel a call in advance and I am sure we can allocate you in a single room with a garden view. The staff are always so pleased to see comments like this, although we often thank them for their hard work there is no better way to express what a great job they do than by reading it on trip advisor!!! We are all looking forward to your return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
ilkley
Reviewed 10 September 2011

The good points. The food was excellent the staff were excellent. BUT the room No 130 was disgusting to say the least. The bathroom was absolutely awful it should have been shut down as a health hazard. The walls were thick with grime and dirt that had been there for months.The taps and shower fittings that should have been shiny chrome were a dull grey covered in old soap and hairs. The shower screen was very dirty.The light above the sink was also filthy. Around the bath was a sort of brown mildew. It was very plain to see that this bathroom had not had a serious clean for months nor had it been inspected by a more senior person other than the cleaner. It was also noticed that the staircase hand rail , posts and doors were covered with brown sticky hand dirt that had never been cleaned for months.This was pointed out to the manager who said "I thought it was the paint coming off" I know that the hotel is slowly being upgraded but even old places need to be and can be kept CLEAN.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank john h
Room Tip: Stay here! We aim to never let anyone down during their stay and I am sorry to hear we were not successful in making your stay enjoyable. Cleanliness is one of our priorities and whatever happened that certain day will certainly not happen again. The housekeeper and area manager took your comments very seriously and was inspecting your complaint straight away. Although we aim to please every person who comes through our doors we understand that unfortunately sometimes this wont be the case. I am very pleased with all the comments we get on trip advisor and certainly happy that there are more “good/excellent” than “bad”, however we are always looking at ways to improve and better ourselves so we can give you the customer a lovely experience when staying with us.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We stayed for 1 week up to Friday 2nd September and went by car from York. Throughout our stay all the staff (Polish, Latvian, Hungarian, Mexican, Peruvian, Spanish and English) were absolutely fabulous - attentive without being patronising but all very efficient, courteous and polite. Good variety of choice on the dinner menu and the breakfast choice was more than adequate. The bedroom was comfortable, clean and large enough but I think we'll upgrade to Premier next time! The weather wasvery kind to us also and we shall definitely go back again within the next 18 months, despite the travelling distance involved. Had a wonderful time !

Room Tip: Go Premier for an extra £10 per ROOM per day although standard room is adequate
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
What can I say after such fantastic comments, I do indeed agree with you in all areas there!!! What you said is what we aspire to achieve, friendly staff, comfort together with delicious food at great prices. Looking forward to your next visit!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Drove down to Bournmouth fron Yorks to meet up with American friends who were already booked in. No single room available so had to take a double with 'garden view'. Room was on the 4th floor, quite large, clean, nice bathroom, excellent view over garden and sea.
This is an old hotel but it is being gradually re-furbished. My room had an old CRT TV, small screen and only five analogue channels, a relic from the last century, tried to get a decent TV but no luck. This was a rather minor problem, I was assured that flat screens were gradually being fitted throughout. The meals were quite reasonable. There is only one quite tiny lift, about 4 persons max. The evening entertainment was mediocre,
The location of the hotel is good, you can stroll to the beach and the pier is only a short walk away. The car park is tight so you may need someone to check clearances if the hotel is full (which it was, late August)
The staff were mainly young persons, usually female, form the continent. All spoke good English and I thought that they were first class.
The lounges , terrraces and dining room were clean and spacious. Don't count on the putting green, looks like they abandoned it years ago.
Overall I had a pleasant stay, the staff that I had dealings with were all brilliant, and this went a long way to boost my satisfaction rating. My fellow guests were mainly seniors, all of them very friendly, many were regular visitors.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
The Savoy is a beautiful hotel in such a lovely location, the staff are definitely an asset to us and I can say they truly enjoy working here and meeting new people day in day out, I am sure customers like you give them job satisfaction and pride in what they do. I am happy to hear you had a great time with your friends and do hope this means you will visit us again sometime. The putting green…well I am not sure what happened to it during your stay but this has been very popular amongst our customers, we will always make sure it is in great condition so you can have a go at it on your next visit!!
Crowborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Hotel quite good but room 17 ruined it for us. So shabby you wouldn't believe. How can they offer it to a paying customer? No option for an upgrade, no clue how bad room was from photos posted on site, rooms shown look great. Room was damp musty, condensation black marks round badly fitting broken-handled windows, bed springs very obvious!!, TV reception useless, only 4 channels (interference louder than progs), staff not really interested in putting anything right, no alternative TV offered, WC seat won't stay up (not very convenient), bar staff need to know what a club sandwich is (3 slices!!). Staff generally work hard, very good but not able to alter our plight. Wouldn't have booked if state of room was known!! Hotel otherwise quite good, sorry.

7 Thank dave w
Upgrades can be available at the hotel but as you are aware we are very popular and fully booked because of the lovely summer season which made it impossible to offer you an alternative. I am very surprised by your comments about the staff, they do care and always do their best to put things right, in fact this area is one of our strengths on the Trip Advisor site. I am sorry you did not like the room and hope you stay with us again in future, please give us the opportunity to change your mind, I am sure you will not be disappointed!!
Yorkshire
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I have just returned from a lovely 5 day stay, with my 93 year old mother, at the Savoy, travelling with Shearings. We paid for a garden view (which is actually also a sea view over the tree-tops) and got a large room with bay window and balcony. The food was very tasty with a varied choice and always well presented. You could even have a breakfast ‘special’ of smoked salmon and scrambled egg on toast. The pool was available from the second day and I had a lovely (if cool) swim in it. The deepest end is only 4ft 11ins so is good for even the less confident swimmers. It was clean and set in a little sun trap at the bottom of the garden. There are also two lawns for putting and croquet, as well as a pleasant veranda for catching the sun. All the staff were very good, pleasant and attentive – waiters, bar-staff, cleaners, reception staff (who were most helpful in ensuring that our room had two beds) and not forgetting our coach driver, Steve who was ever cheerful, friendly, polite and informative.

It was a very enjoyable holiday which was good value for money.

Room Tip: Garden/sea views are worth the extra
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sunshineholidaygirl
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and so happy you had a lovely time with your mother. The views from the Garden view rooms and superior rooms are truly special, I am glad you were able to enjoy it. The chef and all members of staff will be so happy with your lovely comments which we will pass on to them. The hotel surroundings are absolutely gorgeous, we are also proud of our hotel and location, but most importantly we are happy we made you and your mum happy!!!
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Have just spent a week at this hotel for us it was great the staff the room and also the food I am a coeliac so a G/F and wheat free diet is a must .At this hotel they knew all about the condition so I was able to have a worry free holiday with a wide choice of food and both my wife and I could totally relax .It was a same about the weather and the flooded central gardens

Room Tip: Always upgrade to a garden facing room on a high floor
1 Thank Bill482
That was a unique week for Bournemouth; I have never seen so much rain in one day!!! I am thrilled to hear it did not spoil your holiday and that you and your wife enjoyed your time with us. We are here to take care of you and all your needs and special diets are never any trouble, I think the chef quite enjoys it too!!! I will hold you on the “we shall return” and say SEE YOU SOON!!!