“unbeatable value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Savoy Hotel

The Savoy Hotel
Ranked #37 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
torquay devon england
“unbeatable value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Perfect setting for our 3 day self drive holiday from Torquay.Excellent food. Very friendly staff. good sized very clean rooms. Easy walk to seafront if you are fit. Abonus is the bus stop just around the corner to explore the delights of Bournemouth Poole Swanage and Sandbanks.We will certainly return. Alan & Daphne

Room Tip: Book early and they will give you a good room
3 Thank alancarter_7
johnwtaylor, Manager at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Looking forward to your return, keep an eye out for our amazing offers, it would be a pleasure to have you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

My Mother, Sister and I stayed at The Savoy for the cabaret weekend from 18th to 21st May 2012. First the positives: The staff were lovely, helpful, friendly and very polite. The food was good, plenty of it, tasty and the service very good, better than I expected it to be in all honesty. Now the negatives: We had booked 3 single rooms and had asked for a low floor, near each other and with views. When we arrived we were indeed allocated 3 rooms close together but on the 4th floor well away from the lift, now that is another story! I had already said my Mother was 85 and that was obviously not taken into consideration. We found the rooms eventually after going into what looked like servants quarters, the walls in the corridor were badly in need of decorating but the rooms were just as bad. There was a hole in one of the bathroom walls, tiles coming off and damp patches. The rooms were musty and oppressive. To be fair they were clean, as was the bedding and towels. None of us wanted to stay in these rooms so I went back to reception to ask for different rooms, leaving my Mother up there to save her trawling down the corridors again. My sister and I spent almost 2 hours checking out various rooms until we found some that were reasonbable, my Mother and I ended up sharing a twin and my Sister had a single close by. The plumbing was awful, the shower over our bath leaked at the taps and the temperature kept altering, we decided it was not safe for my Mother to use. In my Sister's room the water in her shower only came out of one hole in the middle which was not satisfactory. Another bad point is the lounge furniture by the windows is cream in colour and was very grubby, a good clean is definitely needed. Also there were well established cobwebs on the windows. The entertainment was ok, what you would expect really and most people seemed to enjoy that. Now for the lift, there is only 1 about the size of a cupboard and says it holds 6 people, mmmm. Only 2 can fit in with a case each and 4 without any luggage. Last thing is the parking, a very stressful experience! It is cramped, hard to get in and out of, white lines need renewing and there are not enough spaces. All in all I dont think we will be returning anytime soon. Lynne, West Lulworth

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Rosemeg
Lynne, sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us, thank you for mentioning the positives and be sure the negatives are taken into consideration and dealt with where necessary. Our single rooms are very standard, we aim to maintain them clean and comfortable and they will be down for refurbishment in the near future. Some of our customers like them, others do not. We are always improving and getting the Savoy hotel into the Coast and Country standards, still maintaining good value for money. The lounge furniture is new and looks amazing, the sofa’s near the window are only a couple of years old and cleaned regularly, however our choice of colour was probably not the most practical! Hope you change your mind in the future, Best Regards
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

we went to the savoy on the 18th may for the weekend had a good time entertainment was very good they had the everly brothers tribute brilliant that was saturday night and amanda jane on sunday she is so funny and she sings and dances food as always good we had a garden room again very nice and roomy staff are very helpful all in all lovely weekend we will be going back thanks to everyone maureen & david

Room Tip: rooms over looking the gardens are the best
3 Thank maureenwilliamsyoung
Hello from everyone at the Savoy! Maureen & David, thank you for your lovely review, see you soon.
Fareham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Returned from a Cabaret WE at THe Savoy, Bournemouth on 14 May. My wife and I plus a friend, thus a double(221) and single(205).
Have read many reviews and find it difficult to relate to the various complaints!
Our rooms were good - the single had a lovely sea view and the other was above the main entrance. Yes there wwere creaking floor boards and could be said to be a little dated; but we found them both comfortable and kept clean. In fact the whole of the hotel was of a similar standard.
The food was fine, not large portions, but certainly tasty, well cooked and adequate; so much so that i was never left feeling hungry.
The Staff were efficient, polite, and attentive - Having overheard the comments of one "gentleman" at breakfast, I am bound to wonder how they could be so courteous!
One point, I suggest the dishwasher may need to be less loaded as on a couple of occaisions,glasses / dishes were a little soiled - a minor point.
The entertainment was excellent - the high profile act on Sat Brilliant and we are still laughing at the 'Essex' girl of Sunday evening.
However, I WILL NOT BE RETURNING AS A CAR DRIVER!
The car park was an absolute nightmare. YES I am aware it is to be relined ( see Manager's reply to Stephen of 9 May), Indeed I was informed on Sunday (13 May) work was to commence on the next day, but on speaking to another guest who was staying on for a further four days, no-one had been asked to move their vehicles out to allow this to happen. My information was workmen would arrive at 0700, but when I left at 0945 there was no-one starting, and many cars still parked!
The manager stated in his reply, that 'some' spaces were a bit tight, but the 'magic' of re-lining would not only solve this, but could maybe provide a little more space! It is not only the spaces but also, the distance between the rows that was very tight. And at the end of the day, the park is a finite area to try and get ' a quart into a pint pot'!
I was DISMAYED on the day before my Break (10 May), to receive a letter from Country and Coast (in a Shearings envelope), telling me car parking was limited BUT if I paid £5 pd I could reserve a space. Yes, you've guessed it, on phoning to do this, I was told it didn't start until 23 May- why send a letter? Now not only,have they have recognised the problem, they are trying to mke more money out of it. Shame on you Mr Shearing!!!!
WHAT A SHAME!
You can see from my review above how good we felt The Savoy was and also value for money.
Now I come away with a bad taste in my mouth!

Roger Purssey

5 Thank FarehamVulcan
Hi Mr Purssey, Thank you so much for your comments regarding the hotel, I am glad you enjoyed that part of your holiday. In regards to the car park I can only apologise on our Head Office behalf for confusing you about reserving a space in our car park during your stay. We have re-lined the car park and opened an extra entrance to the back where you will be able to reserve a space which will give you peace of mind during your stay, I understand your comment about the charges, however you will find that most hotels in Bournemouth have limited spaces, many charge for parking, some even at £15 a day. Although we will still offer limited free parking we are now giving you a choice for very little extra. We will maintain good value for money and often discounted holidays are for grabs, why not take advantage of the discounts and put that towards parking instead? We do hope to see you again, wishing you all the best.
Shipston-on-Stour, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

We've just come back from a long weekend at this Shearings Hotel. The food was good and plentiful, the staff were very helpful indeed (and nicely turend out) and the hotel, overall, while being a but tired is perfectly acceptable for a long weekend.

We wanted to upgrade but all the superior rooms had gone. Not great. Our room was big enough but with a tiny TV (not that we watch it much) a VERY soft bed (mattress worn out we think!) but most unfortunately no radiator in the bathroom. There has clearly been one in there at one time but it looks as though it was removed a long time ago. The weather was pretty cold and when in the bathroom, so were we. Also, our room (227, I think) was immediatley above a very noisy boiler which kicked into life at 6.15 am. Fortunately, we're early risers so it wasn't too much of a problem but for anyone who wants a lie in, this is a room to avoid.

We ordered a Celebration Pack (sparkling wine, fruit and chocolates) as it was our anniversary.....this was not great either. It was in the room when we got there okay, but there were no glasses and no ice bucket. The 'wine' was warm (it was in fact 'Perry' which, I'm sorry, we don't feel you should refer to as sparkling wine) and so we sent it back. In fairness, the hotel were very apologetic, sorted it immediately and gave us both a complementary drink the following evening, so it was all fine in the end.

Contrast this to our trip to the Grand in Exmouth last year (a Bay Hotel, not Coast and Country) where we again had sparkling wine on arrival....in an ice bucket, with chilled glasses and an enquiry from the manager within ten minutes to check it was there and was it okay.....

We liked the Savoy Hotel and would probably return, but only to an upgraded room. Don't let us put you off going there....just don't have room 227!

Room Tip: Don't have room 227. Ideally, pay a bit more and go for a garden view room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank caribbeanoldies
Hi there…your review did make me so sad for the fact you did not have a nice bottle of bubby on ice on your arrival. That was a silly mistake and I guarantee it will never happen again, it is a lovely start to a holiday and I would have expected the same as you. For now I can only apologise and I hope to see you again in the near future, make sure you come and say hello
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

We had a lovely weekend stay in a great location within walking distance of the town ( but there is a steepe hill to get back but you could use the tram from the beach during the day)The staff are very friendly and evening entertainment was fine. Hotel, room and bathrooms are very clean.

We stayed in one of the garden rooms which was very pleasant, the only problem was being waken up early every morning by the scraping of chairs on the public balcony above.

Overall would stay again, but not in the garden rooms, unless the chair moving issue could be resolved.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello, thank you for your lovely review. Nine of the Garden rooms are currently being refurbished; they will look pretty amazing they will have a supplementary charge; however it will be worth it. Don’t hesitate in contacting us directly for future bookings and any requests, we will make sure you have a lovely time.
Lutterworth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

The hotel is in a great location. Room 211 is a superior room with garden view. Great surprise to find it also had a sea view. Very well appointed spacious room with clean en suite and comfortable double bed. Entertainment on Friday and Saturday night was very good. Sadly the food leaves a lot to be desired. Table de hote menu choice and quality is rather utilitarian - lacking in flavour, texture and quantity. We decided to try the sea bass from the a la carte menu the next night. Despite the premium cost, what a bitter disappointment. It was so over done that the knife could not cut it! Apologies were made by the pleasant serving staff and the course not charged for but our expectation of an enjoyable meal was ruined. If you enjoy fine dining this is a place to give a miss.

Room Tip: Room 211 has the benefit of being far enough away from the live entertainment for it not to be an in...
1 Thank John H
I am very sorry you did not enjoy your dinning experience; we do receive a lot of praise for our food and menu, however it seems that this time we let you down and we will pass your comments to our dedicated chef.