“Mid week break”
Review of Chine Hotel

Chine Hotel
Ranked #22 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed 29 July 2011

As we had to cancel our trip to Italy due to my broken foot we were lookng for somewhere not too far from London near the sea , with a pool. The Chine ticked all the boxes for us:
good value db&b 2 night stay - £119 per night ,
with outdoor heated pool (and indoor pool if weather was rubbish)
very helpful, pleasant, polite staff
good food
and I could hobble to the beach for a walk along the pier
sea view bit limited

Room Tip: they threw in sea view room for no additional charge as we booked a couple of days before we went
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barbsie

Reviewed 26 July 2011

The hotel itself had great facilities. But, the incompetence and surliness of the reception staff marred the experience. Upon check in, I gave the check-in staff details of my prepaid booking but he ignored it and said that I had to pay for my overnight booking. When I insisted that he should check his records, he gave me an irritated look and eventually realised his mistake. Without so much of an apology, he then said he will be charging the third party operator instead. I asked if he could ensure that I won't be "charged" again when we check out the next morning. He said he will record it in the system. The jewel of the crown was that throughout the whole time I was speaking to him, he kept ogling at my girlfriend. Incredible! When we checked out the next day, surprise surprise, we went through the whole rigmarole again with another reception staff, who was equally as keen not to apologise for her mistake. I couldn't decide who was more surly, though. I think the hotel management needs to invest in training their front desk staff some basic courtesy. Apart from that, lovely hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Culture-nomad
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Fantastic leisure facilities, 2 pools, hot tub, gym, sauna, Swedish hot-tub, great bar, good on-site restaurant... If you're looking for somewhere where you'll be spending a bit of time actually in tbd hotel, then this has got everything you'd need.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Upsides:

Hotel is in a great location, on hill looking Boscombe pier. There is a direct access by a green walk down the hill from the back of the hotel to pier and beaches. It takes around 3 minutes. Hotel staff is very friendly, extremely helpful. Hotel has nice gardens to relax, nice swimming pools both outdoor (shame it was closed due to season) and indoor. Nice restaurant with a sleek design and sea view. Nice child play room, our daughter loved it. We will probably come back to this hotel. From the hotel, it is around 30 minutes beach walk to Bournemouth pier, where the main attraction is. There is a small train on wheels from Boscombe pier to Bournemouth pier, you may want to catch it instead.

Downsides:

It is very difficult to go up and down to hotel from/to beaches if you have a baby and a pushchair. Especially climbing up can be very troublesome. Elevator in the hotel is a very old style, we had to fold the pushchair every time. Also, in order to go to garden or swimming area, you have to carry pushchair yourself as there is no elevator access. Depending on your room location, you may need to take extra stairs too. Breakfast could be better. Restaurant is popular in dinner time, nice but keep in mind portions are small. Worst thing about this hotel is parking. There is a parking area in front of the hotel but lines are drawn so narrow it is difficult to go out of the car. And, now I have a bad scratch on my brand new car, that I blame on the parking area design.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Ozgur23
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I have stayed at the Chine Hotel often over the past six months. The hotel looks good in reception and the bar. The bedrooms are a different story, many are in need of refurbishment, some are tiny and too many are close to air con units which run late into the night and start at 6am (the staff have notes on which rooms are noisy and have moved me once or twice). If you happen to get a big room with a good view (there are a few of these as well) they feel very luxurious!

Dinner food is good but pricey. Breakfast is a definite plus with good food and if you get a window seat a great view ... making for an enjoyable start to the day.

Overall a good place to stay but this is a hotel which is past its best. More fading glory than high class luxury.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank readtrav
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We attended my daughter's wedding reception held at the Chines hotel on 2nd July. We did not stay overnight so cannot comment on the rooms, apart from seeing Room 117 which my daughter was using to prepare for the wedding. The Chines as a venue for a reception is perfect. The function room leads out onto a terrace with steps leading down to a lawn perfect for photos. A further flight of steps leads down to a very pretty garden with waterfall, giving access further down to the beach. Guests who have limited mobility would have trouble accessing these areas.

The food served for the Reception was excellent, with minimal delays between serving all guests. The staff were extremely attentive and management ensured everything went smoothly. The only down side as far as we were concerned was the lack of car parking space. We drove around for some time when arriving back from the service trying to park. However in hindsight had we realised that car parking spaces were at a premium we would have booked a taxi.

All in all would certainly recommend the Chines as a suitable venue

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I stayed at the hotel for a week on business. Generally very good and my room was ample, clean and tidy. Service in the restaurant was slow, although the Staff were attentive. Now the sting in the tail, watch out for the supplements on the extra vegtables which I ordered one night, for my money I got 3 small carrots, 1 piece of cauliflower and a spoonful of greens. Gym and pool area very good but male lockers need attention and if there are more than 4 people in there it is a tight squeeze. Outdoor hottub was excellent as was the outdoor pool

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business